Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 09:02

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My study plan and your advice:)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 06:43
I wanna get the exam 3 months later , and my aim is to get over 700 points. I am not well in Verbal section.
In Quantitative section, I do not need to use any books to study. I am going to solve the problems in this forum and also Gmat Toolkit(very helpful application) in Iphone Application. And I try to concentrate on the questions that will be wrong in my test . And try to understand the logic the questions to improve my ability in this section to get nearly 50.

On the other hand, I am of the opinion that When I am NOT good at SC and CR question, I think that İ ıf am successful at SR and CR section, I can easily get enough points from RC section. In that reason, I am focusing much more on these parts. Now, I am looking for some materials. Firstly, I decided to get Powerscore CR Bible to improve CR section. This book is the most advisable product in that forum. I will be happy if you advise the second significant book for CR and also I am waiting your advice about other important books for SC.

I have already ordered Powerscore CR from Amazon. I am waiting your advice about 3 more book to order.
Thank you very much in advance. And thank person who post any information to Gmatclub forum.

Last edited by Fairness on 26 Nov 2010, 11:56, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 08:07
I am waiting your advice

Last edited by Fairness on 26 Nov 2010, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth, Columbia, Kellogg,INSEAD, LBS
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 1

Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Hey dude,after reading your post, I think you really need to work on the Verbal part. There is at least one error in all the sentences you've written. Make sure that you work on all the three areas i.e. SC, CR and RC rigorously.
Good that you've ordered Powerscore CR Bible as it is the best book for CR. For SC, I'd highly recommend MGMAT SC Guide and Aristotle SC Grail. You can read reviews about these books on the forums. For RC,go through the gmatclub RC forum. There you'll find strategies to tackle RC and also get fantastic tips from people.For practicing passages, RC99 is probably the best book out there. The passages in the book to an extent mimic the ones you'll see on the GMAT.
Apart from this, keep reading articles from good sources such as The Economist, The New York Times etc. Read as diverse material as possible will really help you.
Keep us posted about your progress and I'd strongly recommend you to participate on the forums here as it'll help you improve quite a bit.
All the best! :)

My 760 debrief

1 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 1361 [1] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 12:21
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with what's been said. I think your verbal will need a lot of work, judging by your post. MGMAT SC will be crucial for you. Go through it fully more than once. And keep reading good quality articles in The Economist or NYT. Apart from that, powerscore CR is excellent for CR.

Good luck!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 91 [1] , given: 18

Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2010, 16:01
This post received
KUDOS
I second everything that has been said by rishiraj and whiplash. In case you have to take the TOEFL as well (which is likely to be the case if you intend to apply to an MBA program) I would actually recommend you to first study for TOEFL to improve your level of English and only thereafter tackle the GMAT. Good luck with your preparation.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 11:57
I have ordered all the books you have mentioned above. After studying 3 months, I can think of postponing the exam according to my test results.
Also, I got nearly 90 points from Toefl, And I was good at writing section in Toefl. However, as you know, it is easy to get high points in this section by memorizing some templates.
Thank for your helps:)))
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 335

Kudos [?]: 1361 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 20:01
If you are talking about the TOEFL IBT, then most schools require at least a score of 110 for you to be considered eligible to apply. So as stanford2012 suggested, I recommend getting that out of the way first, since it'll help you with your preparation for the GMAT as well. Good luck.
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate
Followers: 24

Kudos [?]: 20 [1] , given: 0

Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 12:30
This post received
KUDOS
I'd like to reiterate what the others on this thread have said about the verbal section. For your ability level, the best way to work on your verbal skills for the GMAT might be to get a good grounding in English Grammar first. For this, I would suggest buying a regular English grammar textbook. From there, you can proceed to our sentence correction book, which others have mentioned, and which reminds you of the rules of English grammar that you need specifically for the GMAT.

I would also advise you not to just practice on many questions, but instead to make sure that you're learning about how the GMAT tests questions, and analyzing all of your answers. This applies to both the verbal and the quant sides of the test. For verbal, our instructor, Ron Purewal describes this technique well in this video segment: http://vimeo.com/17161496 (you can watch the whole recording here: http://www.manhattangmat.com/thursdays-with-ron.cfm )

I also think you would benefit from this article, which tells you how to analyze practice problems: http://www.manhattangmat.com/articles/a ... roblem.cfm

Let me know if you have any questions, and good luck!

Best,
Caitlin

Caitlin Clay | Manhattan GMAT Student Services Associate | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 08:38
Thank you for your interest
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My study plan and your advice:) [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2011, 04:06
Fairness wrote:
Firstly, I decided to get Powerscore CR Bible to improve CR section. This book is the most advisable product in that forum. I will be happy if you advise the second significant book for CR and also I am waiting your advice about other important books for SC.

Well, I think you did a good start. Getting a Powerscore CR Bible will surely increase your CR. I also use it when I was preparing for my exam.
Re: My study plan and your advice:)   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2011, 04:06