Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:35 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: My theory on Fall 2009 applications- any takers? [#permalink]
Haha. I agree guys (bsd and kryzak)..

I guess I am too optimistic though.

I do believe however that if someone is discouraged by the rise in applications even though he/she thinks has strong reason for an MBA and decides to not apply but wait for things to cool down, should think twice.

I always look at the bright side!! Hey, I if I go to school during a recession, by the time I graduate in 2011, things shouold be looking up and jobs should be everywhere, given the cycle usually lasts for 2-3 years!!

Ok..maybe that is the height of optimism :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
I've thought about this too. My opinion is that the majority of people that will be potentially losing their jobs during this period will be "bankers". I'll use that as a general term. Since MBA Adcom are looking for "diversity", this increase in apps from bankers will not negatively affect you (unless you fit into this category). I like to think of my competition as people that are similar to me (job, industry, geographical region)...just my opinion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
sterny, don't get me wrong, I do think that if you really focus and polish your application (with the help of GMATClub, which is FREE :P), the increase in applications should not matter to you (unless you're in the finance industry), because you're not competing with the IBs for spots. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Many bankers have already lost their jobs, and they will either become entrepreneurs, or try to find another job, or as a last shot do some volunteer work. I know someone who in 2002, when in Brazil the market was a real mess, lost his job, and he decided to go to South East Asia and Africa to help an NGO. Guess what he later applied to 5 schools in M7 in got into every of them.

I'm telling about someone who is incredibly smart and got the money to stay one year out of work and try this movement, but I believe that there are others who can. This case may be statistically irrelevant but I'm just trying to say that there are people that in this situation can benefit from a set back.

If I were one of the guys who got hit right know, I'll do exactly the same way, work until September as a volunteer somewhere, and then try to explore it as a good thing.

I agree with you that the quality of the pool may not increase at the same proportion as the pool itself, but still you have more competition, so be prepared.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I respectfully disagree. I think admissions will indeed be more competitive for 2009 for the general applicant pool and to a greater extent the “Finance” cohort. I also believe the Finance cohort could very well increase as a percentage of the class, mitigating the competitiveness of that cohort.

Let me address your main point, which I believe is that those who were laid off will not have enough time as the ultra-prepared b-school applicants.

First, a lot of layoffs are happening right now or have already happened, and it’s still very early in the 2009 application cycle. That means many of the Wall Street-ers (“WS”) (instead of IB since that is too narrowly defined) have plenty of time to pull great applications together if they wish. I don’t really think you gain all that much by having six months to think about this vs. four months. It’s the effectiveness of the time, not so much the amount of time.

Second, many WSers who are laid off now will have time to diversify their experience(s) so not only will they have time to bolster their application profiles, they might be able to effectively switch cohorts, e.g. finance to non-profit, thus making other cohorts more competitive. (The last part may be a bit of a stretch, but I’m just throwing out some possibilities.)

Third, and I believe this could be the most important factor, WSers in general are usually among the most competitive applicants to B-schools. While during the bull market it was more lucrative and commonplace for a lot of WS super-stars to skip B-school and stay at their HF/PE, this trend might reverse during the bear market. These are the kind of guys that will be H/S/W or bust. The increase in super-star applicants could be mitigated by the increase of those laid off who were worst performers. However, there may a similar phenomenon for super-stars in other cohorts as well.

In conclusion, I think the average quality of applications will increase significantly, but, as many have noted, this increase will adversely affect the Finance cohort more than others. Since WS has some of the best and brightest and consequently most competitive applicants, I think B-schools will recognize this and increase the Finance cohort somewhat.

I think individuals should decide to apply to B-school independent of whether applications increase or decrease—embracing, but not underestimating, the competition.
Current Student
Send PM
Great discussion guys!

cougarblue..i found myself agreeing with your points as well. But what I liked best was your conclusion-

"I think individuals should decide to apply to B-school independent of whether applications increase or decrease—embracing, but not underestimating, the competition."

I think that is spot on and that is the point I am trying to drive home as well. I have some friends who are toying with the idea of an MBA as a career change, and it DOES make sense for them, but they are backing out applying for fall 09 because they don't believe they would be able to compete against the rise of apps...and that I think is not what the applicant should be looking at. The process should be internal to oneself and not dependent on external factors. By no means am I underestimating the competition, I just refuse to account for that factor in my process. I am focussed on just me and my career, and if I start thinking about everything that is against me, I could never move forward :) I am aware of it, but I don't want it to influence me or worse discourage me..

As for me, I am a management consultant aiming to do a career change to IB..I feel its the right point in my career and I am backing myself to do well and give it my 100%.

Hey I may end up with all dings, but if thats what it is, then so be it..atleast I know I am true to myself rather than try to "time" the application process and market.
GMAT Club Bot