Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 3

My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 14:49
This post received
KUDOS
Since I used this website the most of all my (few) online resources, I feel it's only fair to give something back.

The short story:
I had only one shot, I studied for one month and got 690. This is more than what I need. I am happy and it's all worked out for me. I could have got more, I know it, but I only had one shot.

How?
Most important:
1. By changing my routine and life for one month.
2. Past papers.

Also important:
3. By focusing only on what matters, not on everything there is.
4. By using the 80/20 rule.
5. By killing myself with impossibly hard questions to make the tough ones easy in the actual test.

If you can't pass the GMAT to your satisfaction after using the above, I'd say you should get tuition for it. I've read that it really does help.

The long story:
I'm not going to go into deep detail, but I will say that the whole GMAT experience started out quite daunting. In my country, we don't usually have to pass these sort of tests. If you got an A at school and later a 4-year university degree, you are obviously clever enough to apply for an MBA. Clearly, Americans aren't like that. And clearly, the space is limited in their schools. So, onward with the GMAT, and I started by simply reading up on it. The stories were mainly about people saying how hard it was and how to study yourself into oblivion so that you can pass.

The worst part for me though, was that due to circumstances I won't go into, I only had one month to prepare.

I will admit that I have a maths aptitude higher than most, but the GMAT doesn't really test maths skills, its logic. So, after I read many blog posts and comments, and saved tens of links in my bookmarks on my Internet browser, I realised that the best way to study in one month was to focus on the valuable stuff. Just like at school and university, the best thing in the world for any exam is: past papers.

That, and the changing of my daily routine, are the main two GMAT tablets I needed. I did the following: No drinking or partying, sleeping well and studying regularly to a timetable. Regarding material, I bought only one book - the GMAT Review 13th Edition. The rest were all the practice exams online I could find. Next, I made sure to tackle incredibly difficult problems, to force myself to go the extra mile.

For me, it became (after the first week) my mission, my goal, it was everything. I stuck questions up on the fridge, I asked my wife if she could answer some questions, I explained the answers to her, I made up my own questions, I checked out the test venue, I phoned one week before and one day before to confirm everything, heck, I don't even remember everything I did to focus entirely on achieving my GMAT goal. It wasn't stress, it was absolute focus.

But once again the two tablets to mix with that focus: Complete as many past papers as you can, and learn from every wrong answer AND change your routine.

Good luck to everyone!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 105 [0], given: 63

Re: My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 07:49
Great story! How would you compare the difficulty level of OG / supplements with paper tests?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 11:13
Quote:
Great story! How would you compare the difficulty level of OG / supplements with paper tests?

OG? Online? I found them to be the same. On this website, I found all the impossibly hard questions I needed. I didn't find many of those in my book, because the book was only actual past GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT Date: 10-16-2013
WE: Project Management (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 20:40
How were you able to lay your hands on the GMAT past papers...or are you suggesting that the OG has all the past GMAT questions?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 20:57
jessello wrote:
Quote:

OG? Online? I found them to be the same. On this website, I found all the impossibly hard questions I needed. I didn't find many of those in my book, because the book was only actual past GMAT questions.

From where can I find the tough questions on this forum?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Re: My thoughts and preparation - hope all can learn from this   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2013, 20:57