Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My Toefl Debrief - 104

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 20

My Toefl Debrief - 104 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 14:50
This post received
KUDOS
Hi All,

I took the test on Jan 18th at a pro-metric center located in the midst of the beautiful SFO downtown and received my TOEFL score today. Below is the breakdown :

Reading : 23
Listening : 25
Speaking : 27
Writing : 29

ETS Practice test breakdown :
Reading : 28
Listening : 26
Speaking :26
Writing : 28

About me : Indian, IT professional, 66 months WE, Working in US for the past 3 years.
Books and other materials used : ETS OG, free tests provided by Carcass and ETS practice test.

Reading : Special thanks to Carcass for providing us with the free test links available online. I scored >=25 in each of these tests but scored very low in the actual test :( . Post test, I was extremely confident to score in 27-29 range. I even scored a 28 in the ETS practice test. My suggestion is to read economist.com daily as most of the articles here are of the same level you see in the actual test.

Listening : After this section, I expected no more than 25 because the trial section was included and I was not able to concentrate much. So, I am happy with the score.

Break : I did not go out rather I jotted down the speaking templates by notefull.com and the writing templates by triplesoul and chineseburned. BIG thanks to these marvelous guys.

Speaking : I was the last one to check in for the test so by the time I completed listening section, my fellow compeers already started with their speaking section. Because of this, I was able hear the 1st speaking question :) Whereas for the remaining 5 questions : I just stick to the notefull templates. I am very happy with the speaking score.

Writing : 350 words in the 1st essay and 455 words for 2nd. Initially, I thought I went too personal in giving examples for the 2nd essay but it looks like the evaluator liked it :)

THANKS A TON to this forum !
I need to get started with GMAT now !

My target B-schools are : Sloan, Tuck, McCombs,UW. Hope my score will suffice.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Raghu
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 266

Kudos [?]: 2244 [1] , given: 690

Re: My Toefl Debrief - 104 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 15:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Congrats for te score and thanks for compliments.

Some thoughts: the most difficult sections and the most rappresentatvive one was aced in a very consistent manner : well done :)

Schools look at the speaking and writing score in particular. reading can compensate in somehow. They know that a gap in reading could be understandable not so in speaking or writing. good for listening.

On reading I agree: the exam is tougher than any test, including OG guide and test. I think you can overcome at the best this section if you prepared before for the gmat, because RC is tougher than Toefl.

Of course for a male who lived in US the last 3 years speaking is far more simple for a student from holland or france.

Great score ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension
7. MY VERBAL QUESTION BANK

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 20

Re: My Toefl Debrief - 104 [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 15:37
carcass wrote:
Congrats for te score and thanks for compliments.

Some thoughts: the most difficult sections and the most rappresentatvive one was aced in a very consistent manner : well done :)

Schools look at the speaking and writing score in particular. reading can compensate in somehow. They know that a gap in reading could be understandable not so in speaking or writing. good for listening.

On reading I agree: the exam is tougher than any test, including OG guide and test. I think you can overcome at the best this section if you prepared before for the gmat, because RC is tougher than Toefl.

Of course for a male who lived in US the last 3 years speaking is far more simple for a student from holland or france.

Great score ;)

Yes. I am happy with my breakdown.I might not have been satisfied if my reading and speaking scores were swapped. Thanks again for your contribution to this forum !
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 82

Re: My Toefl Debrief - 104 [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 07:57
Congrats ! gr8 score :)

Bole So Nehal.. Sat Siri Akal.. Waheguru ji help me to get 700+ score !

Re: My Toefl Debrief - 104   [#permalink] 01 Feb 2013, 07:57