Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 05:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My TOEFL Experience - 111/120

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 0

My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2009, 13:56
This post received
KUDOS
I took TOEFL last year when I was getting ready to apply for MBA. I have to say that the test is not tough at all. It is just the longevity of the test which makes it little difficult.

I prepared for TOEFL for a week. I got some old TOEFL prep book from library and did all the exercises from that book. I do not remember the details of each of the sections but overall the test was pretty easy.

I was preparing for GMAT before I took TOEFL and so did not find TOEFL RC's hard at all. My GMAT score was very bad (580) and I can attribute my bad score to the verbal section. I am a non-native english speaker and my english grammar is not good at all.

I applied in couple of second tier MBA schools last year and soon got rejected because I have three years bachelors from India. After feeling disheartened for few days, I started looking into a bachelors program and soon joined one. I am now almost towards completion of 16 months Bachelors program. I try to be active on gmatclub forum but the bachelor program studies along with my fulltime job does not give me much time to do anything else.

Couple of Suggestions for TOEFL preparation:

(1) One should build the habit of reading. It does not have to be tough english articles or books....can be something which is easy to understand and enjoyable.
(2) Listen to news on TV/watch movies (this helps in the listening section and also in one of the section where we have to listen and then formulate an essay based on what he heard...i do not remmeber the name of that section)

This is all for now and I'll add more if I remember anything that is worth sharing or suggesting.

Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 00:21
nice score
:)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2009, 01:08
I got 100/120 that was really success for me, after Upper-Intermediate Course, which is quite low level for entering TOEFL Preparation. What best helped me was i-courses dot org web site with great, great online practice tests and other helpful resources. I also took some of the Cambridge TOEFL tests, and they are also good.

I post some tips on how to prepare for TOEFL.

Greetings,
Attachments

File comment: TOEFL® iBT is a test that may shape your future. Should you get a good score on it and enter the university you belong to or should you fail to cross the line. For this reason, it is extremely important to devote time and resources and do your best to prepare for TOEFL® iBT. In this section we have prepared some tips that may help you throughout your preparation process and also during the test itself. First you read the general tips and then we have listed component-specific tips for each of the TOEFL® iBT sections. We suggest that you allot some time and read them.
How To Crack TOEFL iBT Tips.pdf [276.71 KiB]
Downloaded 777 times

To download please login or register as a user

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 26

CAT Tests
Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 10:54
Good Score :D

Consider giving Kudos if you like the post.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 02:15
I took the TOEFL test on July 23, 2010. Today, it is August 28, 2010 and I still didn't receive my paper score. Normally, the scores arrive in 28 days, so probably my score is lost. The reason is TOEFL sends the paper scores via insecure mailing service instead of a registered mail (which proof of delivery is mailed to the sender). Although, the scores are very important, the customer service doesn't assist you effectively. if you try to tell your problem to the customer service via e-mail, they answer you with almost automated responses without taking your e-mails into consideration and replying your e-mail can take 3-4 business days. They charge you 17$ to send the scores again. Even though you indicate that the situation is urgent, they say "it takes 7 business days to mail the scores". Moreover, they say "delivery can take up to 4 weeks for international mail delivery". I need the TOEFL test for student visa application and now, I may miss it and this will cause me to lose my chance to pursue my education in a very reputable university in UK. I regret not to take IELTS instead of TOEFL IBT.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 47

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 03:40
Congrats for the great score!!

Was the reading part harder than you'd expected??
GRE Forum Moderator
Affiliations: PMP certified, IT professional
Schools: CMU, Kelley
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 2

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 04:07
Good score.
I got a 110/120 and got a super long reading section too. It went on for about 100 minutes and I started wondering if the exam software was erroneous and gave only reading questions :-D.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120 [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 00:15
I took my TOEFL last saturday.The experience was terrible.AS soon as I went in I was asked to do a mike test,which is like about 2min,you have to keep saying Hyderabad Hyderabad.Since it kept saying error I had to do that 4 times and the incharge there made me literally scream in the mike.I was a little tired and to my luck I got 5 reading passages which takes 100min instead of the usual 60min.Everyone else got 3 passages :(.Listening was fine.Next after the break I had to do the mike test again.This time they made me do it with 4 different head sets and I did it 7 times.I told that lady I was tired and hungry.They made me wait for 20min outside repaired the computer and called me in.I finished my test at 2.40,others left by 1.15.I don't know what I did there I was exhausted.They could have directly repaired the computer instead of wasting my energy.All i got was a silly smile and relaxxx everything will be fine.I want to complain about this,I am sure the feedback form I filled is of no use.I am worried about my score.
Re: My TOEFL Experience - 111/120   [#permalink] 01 Oct 2011, 00:15