Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Aug 2014, 07:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My UCLA interview Experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
My UCLA interview Experience [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2005, 16:33
I had my interview with UCLA last Saturday and I thought I would share my experience with the gmatclub crowd hoping that someone will get something useful out of it. So for those of you who don't know UCLA's interview is optional, I took it because my stats are not particularly AMAZING and I think I interview pretty well anyway.

My interview was in the afternoon but I came to the school at 8:00 am to go to an info session with my wife because I wanted her to see what the school was about. As we were sitting in the waiting room with other perspective students who were interviewing early the admissions director came by and told people who had already gone to an info sessions to not bother coming because it would be redundant and to come by at 9:00 am to go for a tour of the facility. Since I had already been to an info session and my wife did not care to see an info session that much we decided to not go. As we walk out my wife revealed to me that she looked over and saw a guy filling out one of his interview cards and noticed that his GPA was a 3.6 and GMAT score was a 760. I kind of freaked out, since my stats are no where close to that (3.0, 670) and was very discouraged before the interview, my wife was pissed at herself but tried to console me telling me not to focus on grades and GMAT scores only.

Long story short when I went on the tour at 9 the guy that my wife pointed out was straight out of his undergraduate, he had ZERO work experience and I realized I was freaking out for nothing. Everyone has there strengths and everyone has there weaknesses. My undergraduate GPA in chemistry was low and my GMAT also is relatively low but I believe I have solid work experience and I know what I want to do with my MBA. That was an amazing thing to realize before the interview and it definately put a lot of things into perspective at the right time.

The interview was a little different than I expected. For one the interviewer was very nice and also very good. Never in the interview did I feel uncomfortable but also never did I know what he thought of me, both signs of a great interviewer. The questions were mostly situational. Ethical questions, describe a difficult time, how would you sell something, etc. and then there were the standard why an MBA from Anderson etc. But I have to say the most important thing about preparation for this interview is to know your reasons why you are going and everything else will fall into place. I can't tell you how I did but I feel I did well, and I tend to be a very self-critical person.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2005, 16:46
Good to hear from you greenandwise. Keep us posted with the results!

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2005, 10:48
Great to hear from you Greenandwise. All the best with your apps. Keep me posted with your admissions.

All the best,
Aryan
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2005, 17:05
greenandwise, thanks for your tips. Let us know of any good news.

I went to a info session almost 2 months ago and immediately fell in love with the campus/people/environment.

Good luck!

Don't be afraid to take a flying leap of faith.. If you risk nothing, than you gain nothing...

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2006, 21:06
hi,

do you remember his name? i am schedule for the 28th....just wanted to see if you have the same one....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2006, 09:48
It was one of those Super Saturday Interviews...I think his name is Ashish...he is an Indian raised in the United States. Cool guys, very excited about Anderson and just the atmosphere. His main goal was to make sure that I was comfortable and not nervous and I appreciated that....Although sometimes I wish the interviews were more formal because it's easy to get off topic when an interview is not structured. If you do have him make sure to hit the bullet points you want to mention hard. Be cordial of course but don't let the conversation stray too much because then you will walk out thinking you did well but then nnwhen you think about the content of you conversation you will realize that not much was said. I definately felt I had to work to keep the conversation on topic without seeming like a jerk. Good luck man, I hope you kick butt!!!!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2006, 15:35
Hi greenandwise:

I have an interview with UCLA on the 24th. Thanks for sharing your experience. I am sure it will be very helpful for me all the others who are looking for some tips. A quick question for you. When I scheduled the interview, the website said to "dress professionally". How did you dress for this/ How about the other interviewees? I don't want to end up being over dressed or underdressed. So just wundering!!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2006, 01:26
Hey Nickdawg,
Good luck on your interview. I am sure if you have good reasons as to why you want to get an MBA you'll be fine. I wore a suit for both of my interviews although both schools said that I had to be "professionally dressed". I did see some people wearing suits with no ties. I think it is up to you and what you are most comfortable interviewing with but I always feel more "professional" when I wear a suit so that is why I made that choice.

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 15 Jan 2006, 06:41
hi greenandwise:

Thanks for the heads up. Have you heard from UCLA about your admit?
Just curious? Are you in So cal? Which other schools are u applying to?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 06:42
I live in San Francisco. I applied to Fuqua and UCLA. I have not heard from either yet and am definately hoping for the best. How about you? Where have you applied or plan on applying?

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2006, 21:17
hi greenandwise:

I am aplying to :

UCLA
USC
Michigan
Kellogg
Chicago
Wharton

and maybe Stanford.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2006, 06:39
WOW!!! That is a tall order!!! I don't think I could apply to six schools, although if I don't get in this year that's what I have to do. All the best Nick-dawg you should get in to one of those schools fo'shizzle!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 18:55
Hi greenandwise:

Had my UCLA interview today. It went pretty well. My expereince was very similar to yours. The interviewer was a 2nd yr student (woman), so the intreview was pretty laidback, although she did not give me too much indication about how I was doing. I think I did pretty well though. Lets see how it goes. I have two months to think about it. I would like to thank you personally for sharing your expereince. It helped me a lot in prepping for the interview. Thanks and good luck with your admissions.

Btw have u heard from UCLA yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2006, 23:12
nickdawg wrote:
Hi greenandwise:

Had my UCLA interview today. It went pretty well. My expereince was very similar to yours. The interviewer was a 2nd yr student (woman), so the intreview was pretty laidback, although she did not give me too much indication about how I was doing. I think I did pretty well though. Lets see how it goes. I have two months to think about it. I would like to thank you personally for sharing your expereince. It helped me a lot in prepping for the interview. Thanks and good luck with your admissions.

Btw have u heard from UCLA yet?

Glad to read you feel you did well on your interview. It's funny that you mention that she did no give you any feedback as the interview progressed. I think they must train the second years to not do that. I'm glad I can be of some assistance. I feel karmically inclined to help people on this forum as I have gotten so much from the people here.

Today I recieved an email from UCLA telling me that they have all parts of my application (recs, transcripts, etc.) and that it is complete. I was so nervous when I saw the email but then I opened it and was like, "No sh!t Sherlock!, of course my application is complete" But part of me was also relieved because I thought I was in the crowd of people who are put out of their misery early because I sucked so bad. But I was not, so there is hope for me after all :-D

Good luck Nick, I'm sure you will get in!!! Keep me posted!

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 14:11
Hi guys,

I have my UCLA interview on Monday. The interviewer is also a second year student.

From what I'm reading, sounds like the interviews were pretty laid-back with typical i-view questions. Any curveballs?

Looking forward to seeing the campus! Thanks in advance for any advice you guys can offer.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2006, 18:09
nickiestardust:

the only curveball that I go (or maybe I just hadn't prepared for this question) was regarding role models. But other than that it was mostly the regular stuff. So are u R2 or R3? What schools are u applying to?

Good luck with the interview
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2006, 20:16
nickdawg: (nice name)

interview at ucla was really standard. I wish the interviewer had asked more questions about my personal background and experience instead of asking so many theorectical questions (i.e. what would you do in this situation, or that one, etc.) I felt like I had a good interview, as I answered the questions he asked very well, yet I also felt like I did not "sell my story" as much as I wanted to.....oh well. Hopefully it went ok -- I really loved the school and the culture.
I applied Round 2 to UCLA. Also applied to Kellogg, Duke, Stern, Mich, and Dartmouth all Round 2.
Applied also to Instituto de Empresa in Madrid (through a Fulbright), and the dual degree program between Thunderbird/ESADE (Barcelona) which I got into.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2006, 18:15
Hi nickiestardust:

Am glad you did well on the interview. Wish you luck with your admit. Wow you have applied to a ot of schools. Thatz awesome. Whatz your pecking order? Any specific interests in a specific school?

Jut curious. Are u in So Cal? If so we should exchange notes.
  [#permalink] 03 Feb 2006, 18:15