Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 05:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

My very first posting on this forum.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

My very first posting on this forum. [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 12:22
Hello All,

First of all, let me congratulate the supporters/moderators of this forum for creating and maintaining this amazing website. I joined just 1 day ago and after browsing thru forums, I feel that I am not alone who is having problems with GMAT preparation.

I was reading thru different forums and I got more confused than before. Let me tell you about myself first. I am an engineer and working for about 4-5 years in the industry. I recently realized that I do not want to be an engineer all my life. So I started exploring options and MBA was the most lucrative one. I thought I will start preparing for GMAT, take it in next couple of months and then do research for what I would like to do.

Anyway, so I started preparing about 3 weeks ago. I read PR book and really liked it for the simple language and good strategies. I also tried to go thru Kaplan, but I found it difficult to understand. After going thru PR, I took their Warmup test and did not do well enough and found myself somewhere in the middle, or in in PR's terms, I was in BIN 2 on the scale of 1 to 3. Then recently I started doing their practice tests and I am doing so-so, not so good I would say. I usually try to time these tests and at the end, I end up doing some guess work.

So, now I have started doubting my study habits, I do not know if I am doing this right. I feel that I am just doing this without any plan as such. Initially, I was thinking about taking PR's course, but decided against it after I came to know about the fees they charge ($1250 for 7 lectures, does not make sense).

Can someone help me make a study plan? Which books should I start using, in what order. Which websites are useful.
Whether I should time myself on these tests rightnow or for the time being I should just concentrate on solving the problems and learn from mistakes. When should I actually start timing myself. When I make a mistake, what sort of notes I should take. How would I make strategies to tackle certain types of GMAT questions. etc. etc.

I am sure I will get some insights from you guys. This is one of the best online forums I have ever registered to.

Thanks,
Buds
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2004, 04:17
Have you gotten the Official Guide yet? Don't keep doing practice tests without doing a lot of practice problems - you'll go through all the tests but still not be prepared. The OG has well over 1000 practice questions and it's a must. You can get it on Amazon or on http://www.mba.com. You can also download the two free Powerprep tests from mba.com - they're the official ones.

I would suggest doing a few hours of practice questions each weeknight, with a break one night, and then a full practice test each weekend, with review of your errors, before you take the next one.

Hope this helps.
  [#permalink] 30 Aug 2004, 04:17