Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72858 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Re: My weird problem in GMAT Quant [#permalink]
Kudos
bb wrote:
Interesting issue indeed! Very cool problem to have :-)
Unfortunately, whether you end your test 5 mins short or 5 mins left - you are not using the time right and unfortunately not maximizing your chance of success. My suggestion is to pace yourself and use the extra time for the first 10-15 questions and make sure you are extra careful, go through checklists of most common errors you make after you solve each question.

Another suggestion I would have if you have extra time is to stop for 5 seconds before you start working on the next question (i used to do it for 2-3 seconds) before I jump into the next question. This would give me a bit of a composure and let me regain my focus and get on the offensive with the GMAT vs. defensive, just rushing and running.

Finally, there are time-checks and checkpoints you can establish - e.g.
go through 15 questions at 45 mins left.
go through 25 questions at 25 mins left
go through 35 questions by 5 mins left

Hope this gives you an idea and on the right track.

Thanks bb!
I'm trying to pace myself. I didn't face this 'problem' the last time. Now that I see the checkpoints you've suggested, I'm appalled. I was done with my first 15 questions with 55 mins left. I'll try to follow the ones you've suggested though. :-D
I think I'm just too impatient/ in a hurry to get done with the test. I'll have to work on that too. 4 hours is a long time for someone who's been out of practice. :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi neutronskye,

Can you define why you feel compelled to move so quickly through the Quant section? You've defined the relevant details of your situation and your goal, so the simple solution is to SLOW DOWN, double-check your work and be thorough (especially on DS questions - that's where thoroughness of thinking matters MOST in the Quant section).

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich
It's probably because I get impatient, and I fear that I'll run out of time. I plan to keep the checkpoints in mind, the next time, now that I know that I'm going a bit too fast and that I have time to double-check.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
neutronskye wrote:
78%ile in quant is not exactly a happy thing, considering the fact that I'm a non-native English speaker and quant is 'supposed to be' my forte.

I wouldn't worry about that too much. A Q49 used to be a much higher percentile even just a few years ago, but the "level" should still be the same. The percentiles have gone down because a lot more quant-types (especially non-US applicants) have been taking the exam. The percentiles drop steeply because so many people get the same scores. I think the adcoms know this.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Most people would do anything to have this problem :)

Although finishing a section early has its advantages - it gives you the much needed additional break before the Vebal section. Still, finishing a section will 25 minutes remaining clearly indicates that you are not utilising the time properly.
There is very little difference between Q49,50 and 51 and to take your score above 50, you need to make sure that you SLOW DOWN and focus on the question at hand.

Making a time chart and writing it down on the scrap book can help you. Also make sure that you walk through the first 10 questions and then start running. This will ensure tat you have a solid base to build on.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
My weird problem in GMAT Quant [#permalink]
oh mate, I have the same problem at the moment. I've taken GMATClub's CATs, and all the sections, I have finished way ahead of time:
last Q - time 65 : 18 - score 47
last V - time 58 : 20 - score 41

verbal - 57 : 28 - score 30 (but from what I understood, there was a problem with tests, and the CAT was not working properly, throwing at me 500 lvl questions...)

verbal - 58 : 20 - score 32 (again, finished ahead of time)...

I don't know if it's good or no..on the actual GMAT, i had problems with timing one time with Q, and other time with timing on V.

and you know what..when I checked the solutions of the incorrectly answered questions...I answered so because I made silly mistakes and was rushing myself to the next question..

Originally posted by mvictor on 07 Dec 2015, 10:37.
Last edited by mvictor on 07 Dec 2015, 12:26, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11663 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi mvictor,

All of that extra time represents the opportunity to do proper work (on the PAD), double-check your work, and raise your score. There is NO reward for finishing early. By comparison, you would be better off running out of time and having to guess on the last question than finishing 10-15 minutes early. So when you're working through the Quant and Verbal sections, make sure to breathe, work at a reasonable pace and don't rush through anything.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
mvictor wrote:
oh mate, I have the same problem at the moment. I've taken GMATClub's CATs, and all the sections, I have finished way ahead of time:
last Q - time 65 : 18 - score 47
last V - time 58 : 20 - score 41

verbal - 57 : 28 - score 30 (but from what I understood, there was a problem with tests, and the CAT was not working properly, throwing at me 500 lvl questions...)

verbal - 58 : 20 - score 32 (again, finished ahead of time)...

I don't know if it's good or no..on the actual GMAT, i had problems with timing one time with Q, and other time with timing on V.

and you know what..when I checked the solutions of the incorrectly answered questions...I answered so because I made silly mistakes and was rushing myself to the next question..

This is not at all good on the GMAT. Finishing so early means that you are rushing and this would in turn translate to making errors most of the times.
Make sure that you write down a time map on your scratch pad.

Double check your answer before submitting the answer. See if the option satisfies the equation in Quants or if the option actually answers what is asked in the Verbal section.
You can certainly improve your score by being a bit more attentive:

1. Not reading the question properly/Missing certain keywords
2. Not reading the question fully and start solving
3. Not performing calculations on the paper
4. Not paying full attention to the question at hand.
GMAT Club Bot