Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 17:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective and the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 3

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2009, 18:55
OA pls..... almost all choices have been discussed as correct option.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 00:41
C for me
Intern
Intern
Schools: NY Stern; Columbia; Cornell; Waterloo; U of T

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 04:59
Hi hgp2k!

Well my second choice is (D), so you are not alone! :-D

But when do we have the OA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 20:24
This suspense is killing me! I want know who got the right answer??
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 16

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2009, 23:02
noboru wrote:
Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective and the detective’s dull companion. Clues are presented in the story, and the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using the same clues that the detective uses to deduce the correct solution. Thus, the author’s strategy of including the dull companion gives readers a chance to solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution.
Which one of the following is most strongly supported by the information above?
(A) Most mystery stories feature a brilliant detective who solves the mystery presented in the story.
(B) Mystery readers often solve the mystery in a story simply by spotting the mistakes in the reasoning of the detective’s dull companion in that story.
(C) Some mystery stories give readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to the mystery.
(D) The actions of the brilliant detective in a mystery story rarely divert readers from the actions of the detective’s dull companion.
(E) The detective’s dull companion in a mystery story generally uncovers the misleading clues that divert readers from the mystery’s correct solution.

A: is my choice.

B: i think in the article it says author diverts readers from the correct solution.

C: not mentioned

D: not mentioned

E:
noboru wrote:
the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using the same clues that the detective uses to deduce the correct solution.
so dc doesn't uncover the misleading clues.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2009, 14:41
Anybody else before i clear up all this thing?

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 02:14
Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective and the detective’s dull companion. Clues are presented in the story, and the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using the same clues that the detective uses to deduce the correct solution. Thus, the author’s strategy of including the dull companion gives readers a chance to solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution.

Here the premises are :

1. Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective and the detective's dull companion.
2. The detective's dull companion infers an wrong solution to the mystery using the same
clues
as used by the detective.

Lastly the conclusion says that author's strategy for including the dull companion gives readers a chance to
solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution..

From the conclusion it can clearly be inferred that the author's main strategy is not to let the readers come to the correct solution which would otherwise deem the brilliance of the so called brilliant detective paltry and common place.Hence the introduction of the dull companion who would effectively twist the meaning of the given clues in directions other than intended so that the brilliant detective have the chance to show his brilliance later on with the same set of clues and arrive unto the right solution.

Here it should be noted that the answer to this question need not be accurate but the best amongst the given answer choices.Also it has to be noted that the question stem is not asking for any kind of gist but only a view which can be best supported by the given paragarph.

Now to the answer choices,

(A) Most mystery stories feature a brilliant detective who solves the mystery presented in the story.

- To me this is the only statement which can be supported by the passage as the author is saying that it is the brilliant detective who always invariably come to the correct solution.Though this statement doesn't talk about the dull companions at all, it should not matter to us as the question is only asking if the statement can be supported by the passage which it does.

(B) Mystery readers often solve the mystery in a story simply by spotting the mistakes in the reasoning of the detective’s dull companion in that story.

- The statement above says that the readers often solve the mystery by spotting mistakes in the reasoning of the dull companion.That would effectively mean that the readers' reasoning is better and in other words they are not mislead by the dull companion's reasoning and hence invariably come to the right solution.But this inference would be against the author's stated conlusion which says that the alternate purpose is to divert the attention of the readers from the right solution.Hence this can not be right as it is contradicting the conclusion.

(C) Some mystery stories give readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to the mystery.

- The passage doesn't talk about the sufficiency of clues to enable the reader to solve the mystery.Hence is not
relevant.

(D) The actions of the brilliant detective in a mystery story rarely divert readers from the actions of the detective’s dull companion.

- This statement is actually contradicting the conclusion and also not relevant to the passage as the above passage only talks about author's strategy and the success of the author's strategy( i.e diverting the readers from the correct solution) is not covered in the passage.

(E) The detective’s dull companion in a mystery story generally uncovers the misleading clues that divert readers from the mystery’s correct solution.

- This may look tempting but should be wrong because the author specifically say that both detective as well as his dull companion use the same set of clues to arrive upon different solution.Hence it is not the clues but different reasoning of the same clues which have lead to different solutions.

Hence the clues are not misleading but the interpretetions are.Hence E can not be true.

Hence my answer is A.

Please tell me if my reasoning is in anyway faulty.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 07:53
Mega2010 wrote:

- To me this is the only statement which can be supported by the passage as the author is saying that it is the brilliant detective who always invariably come to the correct solution.Though this statement doesn't talk about the dull companions at all, it should not matter to us as the question is only asking if the statement can be supported by the passage which it does.

- The passage doesn't talk about the sufficiency of clues to enable the reader to solve the mystery.Hence is not relevant.

This has grown into an interesting thread. Since Mega2010 and others have put in a lot of effort, I will try to back my earlier post with an explanation of why I think option (A) is not the most strongly supported and why (C) is.

---->
Notice the first sentence in the stimulus says: "Mystery stories often feature a brilliant detective....."
On the other hand, choice (A) says: "Most mystery stories feature a brilliant detective....."

The subtle difference between the two is that the stimulus has "Often", which is an adverb of frequency, whereas the answer choice has "Most", a quantifier. The first gives us a sense of the frequency of occurrence of the feature. The answer choice, on the other hand, emphasizes the quantity aspect of stories. Consider this example below - I hope it helps in understanding the slight difference (distortion) in meaning/context.
Cities often take loans from the central government.
v/s
Most cities take loans from the central government.

Here's another reason in my view: "most" is a strong quantifier. Unless stated explicitly in the stimulus, it is difficult to defend. And for this precise reason, the use of "Some" in option (C) makes it easier to defend.

---->
I think answer choice (C) "Some mystery stories give readers enough clues to infer the correct solution to the mystery" is the best option because:

- The stimulus states "Clues are presented in the story" and "The author’s strategy ... gives readers a chance to solve the mystery" => implying that enough clues are presented to give the readers a chance/potential to arrive at the right solution. 'Enough' here is implicit, otherwise (i.e. with, say, only a clue or two) the readers wouldn't have a chance.

- "Some" is easier to defend (than "most" in option (A)).

My 2 cents :) Let us know what the OA is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 162 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 09:39
noboru wrote:

I think all the options are already discussed. So it should be OK to reveal the OA and OE.
Intern
Intern
Schools: NY Stern; Columbia; Cornell; Waterloo; U of T

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2009, 06:35
hgp2k wrote:
noboru wrote:

I think all the options are already discussed. So it should be OK to reveal the OA and OE.

Hi Noboru!

Plz post the OA & OE B4 I write my GMAT! Waiting since long!! Can't hold it anynore!!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 13:40
OA is C. The question is from the Power Score CR Bible which is a very helpful material. I am posting the answer here since ppl has been asking for 3 weeks.

Answer is not E because the stimulus states that the dull companion infers a wrong solution from clues that the detective ultimately uses to solve the mystery but this answer states that the dull companion uncovers misleading clues.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 6

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2009, 23:42
I would also go with A, which is the only claim explicitly stated in the text IMO.

Why would that be wrong according to the OA?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 7

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 09:09
andershv wrote:
I would also go with A, which is the only claim explicitly stated in the text IMO.

Why would that be wrong according to the OA?

OE: The word "often" in the first sentence is the key to this answer choice. "Often" means frequently, but frequently is not the same as "most".
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 10:01
B is correct. OA Please
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 60

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2009, 10:32
My bet on C. Because it is the only answer that fits the scope. We are talking here not about a particular case, but about the detective stories at all. Choice E is not good because it states that "dull companion in a mystery story generally uncovers the misleading clues". This is completely controversial to the argument as a whole - "companion [...] using the same clues that the detective uses". Choices A and D are out of scope. I paraphrased choice B (the most debating and frequently picked in this topic) as follows: "readers solve the mystery BY diverting their attention from the correct conclusion", which is contrary to the arguments: "...to solve the mystery WHILE also diverting them from the correct solution..."

Please post OA and OE and name the source, I like your questions :)

Never, never, never give up

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 07:14
I go for B,

The situation is about detective and dull companion, it conclude that strategy gives reader a chance to solve while divert

So B is enough to strengthen the conclusion by spotting a mistake in the reasoning of dull companion!

so what is OA?

Remember to give kudos if it's useful for you !!!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Kellogg, Duke (Health care management)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 13:43
Clues are presented in the story, and the companion wrongly infers an inaccurate solution to the mystery using the same clues that the detective uses to deduce the correct solution. Thus, the author’s strategy of including the dull companion gives readers a chance to solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution.

The clues are presented - so readers thinking in the same lines of the detective can solve it. The dull companion is presented only to make readers distract.

In my opinion C is right answer. 'Some' is the key and we already know the clues to solve the mystery are presented.
A cannot be answer because of 'most'.
E cannot be answer because we are not told whether the dull companion uncovers the clue. It may not be the clue that misleads but the dull guy's interpretation is.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: PMP

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2009, 14:56
The question stem mentions "Thus, the author’s strategy of including the dull companion gives readers a chance to solve the mystery while also diverting them from the correct solution"

so we can infer that readers find correct solution sometimes using dull's companions mistakes...

IMO B

Thanks, Sri
-------------------------------
keep uppp...ing the tempo...

Press +1 Kudos, if you think my post gave u a tiny tip

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 16:53
I would go with A as well. OA please..

Every word in this is supported in the argument except for 'most', but compared to other options I would go with this one.

The argument says that the readers are diverted from arriving at the correct solution. So the readers try based on the lines of the dull companion, but they dont actually solve the mystery.

The statement says clues are given in the mystery stories. But it may not be necessarily enough for the readers to
infer the correct solution.

Might be true, but not evident from the passage.

There is not mentioning of who uncovers the clues. The statement just mentions only about inferring the clues.
Manager
Manager
Schools: kellogg, booth, stern, ann arbor

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 3

Re: Sherlock Holmes [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 17:50
i'm late with this, but i'm going with B.

A. First, it states that "MOST mystery stories..." but what about the others? second, it states that the detective solves the mystery. In no place does the text actually state the detective solves the mystery, but only infers a correct SOLUTION that can be used to solve the mystery.
C. Again, this one says "some mystery..." but what about other mystery stories?
D. this doesn't seem evident from the text.
E. This is untrue to the text.

Paaaaayyy Meeeee!!!!!

Re: Sherlock Holmes   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2010, 17:50