Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 18:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 06:53
I've heard many people talk about the 80/80 split adcoms like to see. If judged only by the number of references it gets, it appears to be true; however, I would greatly appreciate a/some link(s) to some external sources showing that adcoms do look for this. Additionally, I would like to know what significance it has in the admissions decision. Is a low- to mid-700s with the 80/80 split viewed more favorably than a score in the same range or even higher but heavily favored to one side?
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 30 Jul 2007
Posts: 130
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:22
Sorry, but whats the 80/80 split?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:24
jallenmorris wrote:
I've heard many people talk about the 80/80 split adcoms like to see. If judged only by the number of references it gets, it appears to be true; however, I would greatly appreciate a/some link(s) to some external sources showing that adcoms do look for this. Additionally, I would like to know what significance it has in the admissions decision. Is a low- to mid-700s with the 80/80 split viewed more favorably than a score in the same range or even higher but heavily favored to one side?


I've been researching this, as I have a 710 with 70% Quant. It is definitely NOT a hard cut off. For example, I believe most schools will see my Quant score and then they will go look at my academic transcripts. They will look for evidence of quantitative coursework as well as the grades in this coursework. They will also take a look at the kind of work I have been doing and see if it involves quantitative analysis. If either of these are true, I believe my application would meet the quantitative ability threshold.

If I had a 70% Quant score, and I was a History major who never took any math classes and currently worked as a history schoolteacher - I'd have problems at a handful of schools like Wharton and MIT.

You truly have absolutely nothing to worry about with a 79th percentile. They just downscaled the percentiles and a whole ton of people are going to be applying with Q47/79th percentiles and I will find it very difficult to believe that these will be discounted very much by the Adcoms.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:39
Terp - that's funny you talk about history majory (maybe you saw my profile) that I was a history major in undergrad and am 1 year out of law school. About 95% of my education has been focused more on verbal than on quant. I hope the adcoms see the 47/79% quant and don't let it worry them about my quant abilities.

As for what is the 80/80 split. It is believed ( and reinforced by som adcoms) that they like to see a person's score balanced between Quant and Verbal. Some peopel will get a 750 on the GMAT with a Q44 (72%) and V46 (99%) for a 730. They love to see the 730, but the lower quant score might make the adcoms question the person's ability to succeed in the first year with all of the finance and accounting classes that really build on a solid quantitative base.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:45
jallenmorris wrote:
Terp - that's funny you talk about history majory (maybe you saw my profile) that I was a history major in undergrad and am 1 year out of law school. About 95% of my education has been focused more on verbal than on quant. I hope the adcoms see the 47/79% quant and don't let it worry them about my quant abilities.

As for what is the 80/80 split. It is believed ( and reinforced by som adcoms) that they like to see a person's score balanced between Quant and Verbal. Some peopel will get a 750 on the GMAT with a Q44 (72%) and V46 (99%) for a 730. They love to see the 730, but the lower quant score might make the adcoms question the person's ability to succeed in the first year with all of the finance and accounting classes that really build on a solid quantitative base.


jallenmorris,

I think you're still feeling the effects of gmat hangover. You have NOTHING to worry about in regard to your gmat score. I know it's tough, but it is time let it go.

Time to fry the bigger fish -- essays and apps.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 07:53
kidderek,

you're right. It is hard to let it go! it's been my "baby" for 3 months now.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2006
Posts: 2135
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 08:25
jallenmorris wrote:
kidderek,

you're right. It is hard to let it go! it's been my "baby" for 3 months now.


We've all been through it. I was pondering whether I should retake to try to squeeze another 20-30 pts, but I realized it wasn't worth it (read: I got lazy).

As for the 80/80 split. It's nice to have, but also realize it's definitely not a minimum. So you needn't worry at all.
Director
Director
User avatar
Joined: 26 Oct 2007
Posts: 608
Location: The High Seas
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 09:07
jallenorris...we have very similar stats/bakgrounds. Did you take any math courses in college besides the one to satisfy the lower division requirements? I took one college level math course...eek (what can I say, I was a History major). As long as my GMAT score is ok though, then I won't be in any trouble right?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 10:59
That's the way I understand it. I believe the adcoms want to make sure that you have the knowledge or at least ability to learn the level of quantitative analysis required for for the first year. I think it's a benefit for those of us that are used to writing and analysis with words as I think it takes longer to learn language than it does math skills. That's my take on it. I have also heard people say that you want to get a good balance between the Q and V scores. A Q51 is awesome, but I believe the adcoms want a good V score to go with it.

VictoryMBA wrote:
jallenorris...we have very similar stats/bakgrounds. Did you take any math courses in college besides the one to satisfy the lower division requirements? I took one college level math course...eek (what can I say, I was a History major). As long as my GMAT score is ok though, then I won't be in any trouble right?

_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Posts: 1502
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [1] , given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:25
1
This post received
KUDOS
Jallenmorris, I went through the same predicament as you a few days after finishing with 99%ile in Verbal and an 81%ile in Quant. This 80/80 split thing had me a little freaked out, considering I'm a liberal arts major myself who did poorly in college math classes and barely scraped through in Quant.

Unless you really feel you had a bad day and can raise your overall GMAT score by 30-40 points minimum, don't spend any time thinking about an extra scaled point or two in your quant section. Focus on your essays and overall application execution, and if you have the time complete a course in Accounting, Statistics or something like that at your local community college. An "A" in that course would assuage any potential academic concerns the admissions committee may have.

For what it's worth:

http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=255&article_id=22204699&cat_id=3071
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 218
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 16:45
solaris1 wrote:
Jallenmorris, I went through the same predicament as you a few days after finishing with 99%ile in Verbal and an 81%ile in Quant. This 80/80 split thing had me a little freaked out, considering I'm a liberal arts major myself who did poorly in college math classes and barely scraped through in Quant.

Unless you really feel you had a bad day and can raise your overall GMAT score by 30-40 points minimum, don't spend any time thinking about an extra scaled point or two in your quant section. Focus on your essays and overall application execution, and if you have the time complete a course in Accounting, Statistics or something like that at your local community college. An "A" in that course would assuage any potential academic concerns the admissions committee may have.

For what it's worth:

http://www.vault.com/nr/newsmain.jsp?nr_page=3&ch_id=255&article_id=22204699&cat_id=3071


I hope you are right, because I'm at the next level Quant below you. 710, Q42, V46. Took it twice and improved from a 680 with a Q39 the first time. Funny thing is, I focused on quant by about a 80/20 mix the second time around, and barely pulled into the 40s. My background is in Finance and Treasury, so I'm hoping that stands for enough to avoid too much quant worry.

Last edited by Manbehindthecurtain on 28 Jul 2008, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 19:35
Obviously some schools are probably more hung up on the 80/80 split than others, but I think it's safe to say that it's a general guideline, not a hard rule. A good friend of mine is starting at MIT Sloan this fall - he had a 710 GMAT with a quant that was about ~70%-tile. The rest of his application was strong, but not crazy-amazing. I'm sure there are hundreds of more people like this, even in the competitive environment that was last year.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 218
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 19:49
smkrn wrote:
Obviously some schools are probably more hung up on the 80/80 split than others, but I think it's safe to say that it's a general guideline, not a hard rule. A good friend of mine is starting at MIT Sloan this fall - he had a 710 GMAT with a quant that was about ~70%-tile. The rest of his application was strong, but not crazy-amazing. I'm sure there are hundreds of more people like this, even in the competitive environment that was last year.


The more people I talk to about the process, the more I am starting to believe that once you manage through all the necessary statistics, the most crucial part is how you communicate your experience. It is encouraging to have these conversations, as I didn't spend my summers running a business to save baby seals. There's a bit of self actualization going on through the process, and communication and marketing seem to be more and more important once you knock out the known requirements. (GMAT, work history, etc).

Just my speculation, but I'll take all the confidence boosters I can get.
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 30 Apr 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: Oklahoma City
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 19:52
smkrn wrote:
Obviously some schools are probably more hung up on the 80/80 split than others, but I think it's safe to say that it's a general guideline, not a hard rule. A good friend of mine is starting at MIT Sloan this fall - he had a 710 GMAT with a quant that was about ~70%-tile. The rest of his application was strong, but not crazy-amazing. I'm sure there are hundreds of more people like this, even in the competitive environment that was last year.


What would you consider "crazy amazing" ? Can you give us an example of what a normal, not over-the-top application is in your eyes? This will help me judge my own EC/WC against what you're saying. I know it's possible for "normal" people to get into those Top 5 schools, but few kid themselves into thinking it's easy or a lock.

Manbehindthecurtain - i get the same sense that it seems you do. Once a person has a competitive GMAT score, all of the other aspects of the application become VERY important. It's about communicating the skill sets we already have. Although, I'm sure there are some every year that don't tell the whole truth about their experience or how much of an asset they truly were in some of the successes listed on their applications.
_________________

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 May 2008
Posts: 278
Schools: MIT
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 09:04
jallenmorris wrote:
smkrn wrote:
Obviously some schools are probably more hung up on the 80/80 split than others, but I think it's safe to say that it's a general guideline, not a hard rule. A good friend of mine is starting at MIT Sloan this fall - he had a 710 GMAT with a quant that was about ~70%-tile. The rest of his application was strong, but not crazy-amazing. I'm sure there are hundreds of more people like this, even in the competitive environment that was last year.


What would you consider "crazy amazing" ? Can you give us an example of what a normal, not over-the-top application is in your eyes? This will help me judge my own EC/WC against what you're saying. I know it's possible for "normal" people to get into those Top 5 schools, but few kid themselves into thinking it's easy or a lock.

Manbehindthecurtain - i get the same sense that it seems you do. Once a person has a competitive GMAT score, all of the other aspects of the application become VERY important. It's about communicating the skill sets we already have. Although, I'm sure there are some every year that don't tell the whole truth about their experience or how much of an asset they truly were in some of the successes listed on their applications.


I'll PM you for the sake of my friend's privacy.
Re: Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2008, 09:04
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
80/80 split still a benchmark? OptimisticApplicant 3 20 Jul 2012, 16:32
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic GMAT Score - 80/80 Split vs. High Total Score NYCAnalyst 4 25 Mar 2012, 22:22
How important is an 80/80 Split highwyre237 4 27 Feb 2012, 05:53
Experts publish their posts in the topic 80/80 split appears to be a myth MarkDavidChapman 4 27 Nov 2011, 12:22
6 80%/80% Split agold 23 15 Jun 2008, 14:08
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Myth Busters - The 80/80 Split

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.