Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 09:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 15:47
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

65% (01:37) correct 35% (00:41) wrong based on 55 sessions
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 16:07
C.
The key to this question is to understand how modifier is attached to the end of the sentence. C uses absolute phrase correctly.

ConkergMat wrote:
n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in middle management and light industry.

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in

Please explain.
3 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 106 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 16:57
This post received
KUDOS
The key point in this question is to recognise wether to use like or as. This can be done by rewriting the statement as:
An overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
Since action is being compared so as would be used instead of like. Hence D and E are eliminated. B is wrong bcos it violates parallelism by using "with" instead of "in". Now b/w A and C, As wrong bcos of usage of "which" (distosts the meaning). C is the best choice

ConkergMat wrote:

Please explain.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 18:16
many of them in X? <= That sounds wrong to me.. though I can't find the rule...
many of whom <= sounds correct and gmatish.
many in X <- might also be ok.
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 269 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2009, 18:47
ritula wrote:
"WORKS" is the main verb in C
sondenso wrote:
if C, where is main verb?

Thanks ritula,

"which" can not refer to "women", that is why C is the best

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 09:48
ConkergMat wrote:

Please explain.

Hi mates,

IMO E

Taking into account that "as" is used to introduce sentences (with verb) and "like" to introduce clauses (no verb), A, B and C out

Between D and E, I think "a proportion of women" is plural: so E

OA and Source?

Cheers

mates, please visit my profile and leave comments
johnlewis1980-s-profile-feedback-is-more-than-welcome-80538.html

I'm not linked to GMAT questions anymore, so, if you need something, please PM me

I'm already focused on my application package :)

My experience in my second attempt
http://gmatclub.com/forum/p544312#p544312
My experience in my third attempt
630-q-47-v-28-engineer-non-native-speaker-my-experience-78215.html#p588275

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2009, 19:25
ritula wrote:
The key point in this question is to recognise wether to use like or as. This can be done by rewriting the statement as:
An overwhelming proportion of women work in Hungary,as in much of Eastern Europe, many of which are in middle management and light industry.
Since action is being compared so as would be used instead of like. Hence D and E are eliminated. B is wrong bcos it violates parallelism by using "with" instead of "in". Now b/w A and C, As wrong bcos of usage of "which" (distosts the meaning). C is the best choice

For deiciding whether to use LIKE or AS, ritual's explanation is perfect. Since the clause is being compared(an overwhelming proportion of women work), we have to use AS. D and E out of the race.

B is out of the race because of "an overwhelming proportion of women works". Subject - Verb agreement.

The last part of the sentence "many of.......light industry" is a subgroup modifier, trying to descibe a portion of the larger group.

In A, "many of which are in" which cannot refer to people. Hence it is out of the race.

B is my ans.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 13:18
IMO C

a) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of which are in – which can’t refer to human beings
b) as with much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, many in – as with wrong
c) as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many of them in – Correct
d) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women works, and many are – like is wrong. Can’t use for prepositional phrases
e) like much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming proportion of women work, many are in - like is wrong. Can’t use for prepositional phrases
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 25

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 14:07
Since we compare action here not nouns, then we should choose "as", not "like". C is the best of the answers with "as".

Believe in yourself.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: London Business School
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 1

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 22:01
This post received
KUDOS
study wrote:
OA please

OA is C

:good Salaries are low in recession. So, working for kudos now. :good

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V35

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 25

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2009, 23:11
One more kudo to you :-D

Believe in yourself.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2009, 02:31
imo-c , will go with getmba's explanation
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
C

But the subtle part for me is the proportion of [plural noun] + plural/singular

Thanks to the following post, I get the idea
http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/in- ... t5864.html

the proportion of filipinos living in milpitas has increased --> it's the actual proportion that has increased (filipinos can't "increase")

a large proportion of the filipinos in milpitas work in san jose --> the filipinos themselves work (a proportion can't work)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: SC: as vs like .. [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2009, 23:42
an overwhelming proportion of women is plural so i eliminated B and D.it must be work not works.
Among A, C and E ..
A is eliminated because which can't refer to any person or human being...use of like is incorrect
so we are left with option C..

Thanks,

Rohit
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 543

Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 00:03
Can someone provide a detailed explanation on this one. Thanks in advance!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V29
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 620 Q49 V26
GMAT 4: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 561 [1] , given: 197

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2013, 00:17
This post received
KUDOS
fozzzy wrote:
Can someone provide a detailed explanation on this one. Thanks in advance!

as the sentence is starting with IN HUNGARY...
IN = PREPOSITION...
now LIKE is never followed by prepositional phrase...so we cannot use LIKE ...
So we can eliminate option containing LIKE.
more over in options containing LIKE ..much of is followed by like....hence the comparison is also not correct.

according to parallel structure necessity..we need:
in hungary, AS IN....

basing this we can eliminate option B.
MOREOVER option B HAS singular verb WORKS for plural subject ,,hence incorrect.

OPTION A everything correct except...use oF WHICH.
now we know we can never USE which /that for human beings....
so MANY OF WHICH...this is wrong..

hence left with OPTION C

hope it helps

When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe ...then you will be successfull....

GIVE VALUE TO OFFICIAL QUESTIONS...

GMAT RCs VOCABULARY LIST: vocabulary-list-for-gmat-reading-comprehension-155228.html
learn AWA writing techniques while watching video : http://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gmat- ... assessment
: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APt9ITygGss

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 07:09
I have a question regarding Subject-Verb in the question.

An overwhelming proportion of women work (or workS)?

Should the verb follow "A proportion" or "Women"?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2014, 22:32
unknown5386 wrote:

The "proportion" cannot work, hence "women" is what needs to be considered to choose between the sing. works and plu. work.
Women = Plural. Therefore, women work.

Hope this helps. :)

-Keep them Kudos coming!-
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 06:08
unknown5386 wrote:

Indeed this is very confusing. I looked in Official guide, and saw an example where "proportion" is used as "singular": Question 43 in official guide.

Are there any rules?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 72 [0], given: 24

Premium Member
Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2014, 06:20
Quote:

the correct sentence :An overwhelming proportion of women work
logic : its the women who work not the proportion !!
Re: n Hungary, as in much of Eastern Europe, an overwhelming   [#permalink] 24 Apr 2014, 06:20