Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 07 Jul 2015, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
Followers: 470

Kudos [?]: 3647 [0], given: 726

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 05:33
Expert's post
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 955

Kudos [?]: 5454 [1] , given: 1358

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 09:09
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
IVY GMAT is pretty slimy from what I have heard about them.
And 730 is NO WAY a bad score. Its an amazing score IMO.
But the guy has made good collection of questions no doubt.

Of course Mod. saying if you not aim to at least 760 do not come here to Ivy gmat is not kindly and correct I agree but "to strain" for the best score it's ok, the moral is to think big.

Over 700 is a big score, anyway I'll put the sign in lime for that score :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 5454 [0], given: 1358

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 09:12
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Of course Mod. saying if you not aim to at least 760 do not come here to Ivy gmat is not kindly and correct I agree but "to strain" for the best score it's ok, the moral is to think big.

Carcass, yeah its a valid point.
But I think being completely obsessed with the test is also very counter productive.
For example this guy makes thousands of question in his sets. Point to note is NONE of those questions are original. Now what he does it, he makes sets by accumulating questions from Manhattan CATs. Indian guys love to slog and no wonder his students can finish the entire set in 2-3 weeks.
What will that do?
That will just elevate your MGMAT CAT score.
But they won't contribute to your comprehension and reasoning skills unless you thoroughly review each and every single question and take something out of it.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 10:03
Expert's post
souvik101990 wrote:
carcass wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:

Carcass, yeah its a valid point.
But I think being completely obsessed with the test is also very counter productive.
For example this guy makes thousands of question in his sets. Point to note is NONE of those questions are original. Now what he does it, he makes sets by accumulating questions from Manhattan CATs. Indian guys love to slog and no wonder his students can finish the entire set in 2-3 weeks.
What will that do?
That will just elevate your MGMAT CAT score.
But they won't contribute to your comprehension and reasoning skills unless you thoroughly review each and every single question and take something out of it.

I agree totally.

Infact I prefer quality over quantity. if I pick a question wrong I always figure out why is wrong and take notes. if I pick a question correct I try to figure out HOW can do the same in a more efficiently way, looking at the question always from an odd angle. :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 149

Kudos [?]: 817 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 21:57
Expert's post
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and
was also the first Swedish writer to win
the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
of northern Sweden, in 1909 Selma Lagerlöf was the novelist who became the first woman and

B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as
well as the first Swedish writer that won

C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories
about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first
woman in addition to the first Swedish writer winning

D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the
first Swedish writer to win

E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also
the first Swedish writer that won

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 22:01
Expert's post
what are the issues with B?
C seemed a hell lot better than B but still want to know all the issues with B? Also on GMAT can only "who" refer to a person?
BTW OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
D

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 440 Q33 V13
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GPA: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 44

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2012, 22:26
Marcab wrote:
Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape
the Nobel Prize for Literature.

A. Turning away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life and landscape

B. She turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about the peasant life and
landscape of northern Sweden, and novelist Selma Lagerlöf in 1909 became the first woman as

C. Selma Lagerlöf was a novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories
about the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, and in 1909 she became the first

D. A novelist who turned away from literary realism to write romantic stories about the peasant life
and landscape of northern Sweden, Selma Lagerlöf became in 1909 the first woman and also the

E. As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden, in 1909 becoming the first woman and also

IMO E
As a novelist, Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about

As a novelist modifies Selma Lagerlof
turned || with wrote
"becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won" modifies Selma Lagerlof

Hope so i'm correct...
Pls correct me if im wrong

GMAT - Practice, Patience, Persistence
Kudos if u like :)

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 00:51
Expert's post
Hii Shan.
After a long time huh?
In E, there are several issues. They are:
i) As a novelist--Though I don't the proper reason, it doesn't sounds fine.
ii) Preposition is preceded by a comma.
iii) "and also" is incorrect.
iv) the prepositional phrase has no subject
v) uses "that" for a person. IMO that is incorrect on GMAT.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:09
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Hii Shan.
After a long time huh?

IMO is a grammar rule that my cousin, at elementary school in DC, knows

D straight.

I notice the tendence by Gmat to do such construction in all underlined sentences: a sort of introduction and then the subject does something.......is the most concise and clear construction.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:14
Expert's post
Hii Carcass.
Does "as a novelist" in E changes the meaning?

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:33
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Hii Carcass.
Does "as a novelist" in E changes the meaning?

Yup. you are right, completely

In D the sense is to create a precise context in which we describe who is her and what did or achive. Notice A novelist

As a novelist instead describes what for instance is a movement where Selma serves as an example.

Look at this

Selma Lagerlöf turned away from literary realism and wrote romantic stories about
the peasant life and landscape of northern Sweden
, plays the role of an incidental phrase that is totally indipendent

As a novelist, ........................................................................... ,in 1909 becoming the first woman and alsothe first Swedish writer that won.....

Doesn't have much sense..........

Hope what I said, it is useful ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 02:47
Expert's post
And what about the last prepositional phrase, "in 1909 becoming bla bla bla". Why do you feel that it is incorrect, I am assuming that you feel so.

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 03:01
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
And what about the last prepositional phrase, "in 1909 becoming bla bla bla". Why do you feel that it is incorrect, I am assuming that you feel so.

a quote from a previous comment

Quote:
turned || with wrote
"becoming the first woman and also the first Swedish writer that won" modifies Selma Lagerlof

How much modifiers should we have ??

In becoming ete etc.......in my logic point out to novelist but at the same time should refers to selma and at the same time novelist modifies selma....... :shock:

No way, we would lose the focus and the meaning of the sentence.

I would like to know from souvik if we can have more than a modifiers that modifie at the same time the same thing, especially in a long and complex sentence.

I think the answer is no. let me know what about.

:)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 03:13
Expert's post
Is it really a modifier?
I thought a prepositional phrase doesn't stands a chance when preceded by a comma.

Anyways, Here is the next one:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and
milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each
per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 03:18
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
Is it really a modifier?
I thought a prepositional phrase doesn't stands a chance when preceded by a comma.

This is what I pointed out in the end:is a modifier, no , yes........it was implicit in my question
Quote:

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 03:49
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:

For the farmer who takes care to keep them cool, providing them with high-energy feed, and
milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing
an average of 2,275 gallons of milk each
per year.

A. providing them with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

B. providing them with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

C. provided with high-energy feed, and milking them regularly, Holstein cows are producing

D. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, the Holstein cow produces

E. provided with high-energy feed, and milked regularly, Holstein cows will produce

E

Them agree with cows and will produce is the only verbe tense that has sense .

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Manager
Manager

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:02
Marcab wrote:
Hii Shan.
After a long time huh?

hmm yup Marcab...
It has been long since i posted :lol:

ya as u said E has so many issues...
When i comes to long sentence i'm lost in between always...

hmm ll give a try again....

Manager
Manager

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:03
Marcab wrote:
Hii Shan.
After a long time huh?

hmm yup Marcab...
It has been long since i posted :lol:

ya as u said E has so many issues...

I just wanna confirm is comma followed by preposition is always wrong ?

If so i can immediately wipe of A and E right?

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 5454 [0], given: 1358

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2012, 06:14
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Marcab wrote:

a quote from a previous comment

Quote:
turned || with wrote

In becoming ete etc.......in my logic point out to novelist but at the same time should refers to selma and at the same time novelist modifies selma....... :shock:

No way, we would lose the focus and the meaning of the sentence.

I would like to know from souvik if we can have more than a modifiers that modifie at the same time the same thing, especially in a long and complex sentence.

I think the answer is no. let me know what about.

:)

Hey Carcass,
I am not exactly sure of what you mean.
But the above question is completely based on clarity/meaning.
And from what I have seen, back to back modifiers are ALWAYS wrong.
And the sentence that you mentioned, "and" makes the two things very independent and does not make much sense
Quote:
was also the first Swedish writer to win the Nobel Prize for Literature.

B is wrong in that the sentence is INCREDIBLY awkward.
It kind of is similar to : He is smart, and my brother is the topper of his class. "and" makes is independent and it sounds like my brother might not just be the antecedent of "he". VERY weird sentence.
C: "in addition" ruins thins
E is also super awful. Marcab pointed out all the anomalies with E. Though I do think prepositional phrases appearing after comma is not that awkward for example,
Moscow, in Germany, houses Siemens headquaters.
But it is awkward in almost every single way perceivable.

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Re: NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind   [#permalink] 19 Dec 2012, 06:14

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5    Next  [ 86 posts ]