Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 01:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [2] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION The only motive behind [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 06:57
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

67% (00:00) correct 33% (00:00) wrong based on 17 sessions
NAIL THE SENTENCE CORRECTION SECTION

The only motive behind starting this topic is to find as many errors as possible in each incorrect Official answer choice. This will not only help each and every member of the topic, but also equip him/her with all the necessary weapons required for SC section.

Advantages of nailing the SC section:
1) will help us save time for the rest of the verbal section.
2) will increase the efficiency.
3) will increase our score. 8-)

Don't want to stretch it too long, so straightway posting an official question.

Note: Unsourced questions along with 1000 series are strictly prohibited.
Happy Prepping.

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [2] , given: 697

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Whenever you begin a SC drill or even for the most advanced test takers keep in mind this

Quote:
Most good readers and writers have mastered the language primarily through intu­ition, not analysis. If you already have that intuition—at least to some extent—then don’t try to replace it with analysis. Approach SC as you would a complex machine: don’t take apart the pieces that are already working! The only parts you should disas­semble and examine are those that actually need to be fixed.

Ron Purewal.

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 648 [1] , given: 62

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The only motive is to find as many errors as possible in each incorrect answer choice.
It would be great if we get every perspective for an answer choice.
Attachments

official%20question.png
official%20question.png [ 48.76 KiB | Viewed 3534 times ]

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The main issue with C, IMO, is that if we consider it correct then in that case we are changing the meaning. In the original sentence, it was not intended to mean that the result of accumulation of music is transferring from one format to another.
There is almost a similar question.
Source: e-gmat

because-of-the-recent-developments-in-genetic-replication-143067-20.html

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2012, 20:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Here is the OE:
A) The uses of the plural noun they are not in the agreement with the singular antecedent lying.

E) The singular pronoun itagrees with the singular antecedent lying, and the objects of the verb determineare in parallel form, both introduced by interrogative pronoun

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 04:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I am 100% sure that you have a GMAT EAR.
Carcass very few on earth have it and should thank God for this. :D

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3048 [1] , given: 890

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 07:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Marcab wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
First, while does not always mean simultaneity.
Second, Marcab can you point out what are the problems we are having with the question in a gist?
I'd give a go before you post the OE.
I think its E as well.
The other options either have "they" or a active passive mix up.

Hii Souvik.
Can you please elaborate on the other uses of "while"? I thought that they are used for simultaneous events only.

Now coming to your question.
I can't really understand how "lying" be destructive. "Social interactions" can be destructive and "can signal mental problem" but "lying"... :shock:
Yes A has amibiguity issues because of "they", so the answer has to be E.
I have posted the OE in page 2.

First of all Marcab, pronoun ambiguity is really an issue which SHOULD not be considered as an initial eliminator of answer choices in the GMAT
If you want I can give you proofs of official questions in which the correct answer choice has ambiguous pronouns and OG 13 has more that 6 of these questions.
Consider the following.
Jack and Bill have a joint account, yet he hardly uses it.
Here "he" is really ambiguous, because there is ABSOLUTELY no way to tell which one is "he" referring to.

However consider this one,
Jack is much fatter than Bill; he weighs more than 200 pounds.
Here, however "he", albeit ambiguous, logically refers to Jack.

Plenty of officially correct answer choices have ambiguous pronouns so this is NOT a rule any more. (might make a secondary elimination technique though).

Second,
While implies two things.

1. Simultaneity: example: I was working out while I was watching TV.
This implies two actions which occur at the same time.
2. Contrast: example: While my weight loss was temporary, it gave my a confidence-boost.

Hope its clear the way "while" works.
Now coming to this question, it is clear that while implies a contrast here.
Lets look:

While recognizing that lying often facilitates social interactions, psychiatrists are seeking to determine when they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal.

A. they become destructive and which kinds of mental problems they can signal
B. they become destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by them
C. it becomes destructive and what are the kinds of mental problems they signal
D. it becomes destructive and the mental problems that are signaled by it
E. it becomes destructive and which kinds of mental problems it can signal

Here is how I would approach the problem:

Meaning: This sentence means: although lying has some good effects, it also have something bad.
It means that lying does help in social interactions but it also becomes destructive and create mental problems. (for example one can become a pathological liar. :P)
So while is used a contrast word here.
Also another way to figure out that it is lying that is destructive and not the social interactions:
Psychiatrists are recognizing the fact that LYING is doing stuffs such as facilitating social interactions.
So it is probable that psychiatrists are talking about LYING again, when they are talking about mental problems and destruction.

Once that is figured out, the rest just becomes a pronoun antecedent agreement question.
D is HORRIBLE because it mixes active and passive (GMAT ear comes to use here)

Does this help?

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 2622 [1] , given: 697

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 08:00
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@Souvik

In my experience a pronoun and their antecedents cuould seem incorrect, but seeing the whole picture IF the context is clear (and in this question if you use the meaning strategy literally you spot what is the pivot point of the entire question) there is not ambiguity.

here there is THE PERFECT video by ron about what we are saying about pronoun ambiguity.

let's see this video. is a must :)

http://vimeo.com/11334034

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2012, 08:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 03:37
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The official question 3.
As per the GMAT PREP, this question has the difficulty level of 3.0. However I don't think that this one should be labeled hard.
Anyways try it guys.

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
A

Attachments

official 3.png
official 3.png [ 50.36 KiB | Viewed 975 times ]

Rules For Posting

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Ok........

When I see a SC (this is the result of hours and hours spent on blogs such as mgmatblog veritas, books , here on forum and so on and so forth, there is a lot of dedication that you have to have in order to tackle this test and this is not an achiving that you can reach in days or month - personally speaking who says GMAT in one month two day I'm skeptical - my personal opinion, though the score and who achive it are real, of course) I always try to put the thing simple and from there I move on.........

read this about my thinking to achive a certain score and motivation

http://ivy-gmat.blogspot.it/2011/09/sho ... c-ivy.html

here is something about being

usage-of-being-on-gmat-111592.html#p901750

Of course I'm not perfect on SC but I always try to do better than before ;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 691

Kudos [?]: 3048 [1] , given: 890

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2012, 08:20
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:51
Expert's post
As discussed earlier in a pevious post, this question is quite tricky.

C seems the best choice among the others but is incorrect.

One way is to make a split betweenITandTHEM.

At the beginning seems that THEM is correct because Cds, digital audiotapes and so on but based on the meaning of the sentence all music can't be copied at the same time, it doesn't make sense at all, the only correct pronoun is IT which refers to music.

Actually is the music transferred in its various forms

This leaves us with B D and E

D have music and transfer (no sense) and also little effort is not parallel with not damaging

E have music and transfer (no sense) and copying it is not parallel with alter it

So B is the best of the poll

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 07:57
Since digital recording offers essentially perfect reproduction - on compact discs, digital audiotapes, or digital videodiscs- audiophiles can accumulate vast collections of music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging the sound quality

A - music, transferring them from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging
B - music, transferring it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally altering it with little effort and no damage to
C - music, transferring them from one format to another, copy them, and digitally alter them with little effort and no damage to
D - music and transfer it from one format to another, copy it, and then digitally altering it with little effort and not damaging
E - music and transfer it from one format to another, copying it, and digitally alter it with little effort and no damage to

Key points,
  • Error 1 - Pronouns - vast collections of music - plural, it vs them
  • Error 2 - Parallelism - accumulate, transferring, copying, digitally altering

Answer C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 08:00
carcass wrote:

At the beginning seems that THEM is correct because Cds, digital audiotapes and so on but based on the meaning of the sentence all music can't be copied at the same time, it doesn't make sense at all, the only correct pronoun is IT which refers to music.

D have music and transfer (no sense) and also little effort is not parallel with not damaging

E have music and transfer (no sense) and copying it is not parallel with alter it

I was confused between those two as well, ultimately the rules won and I figured that "them" agreed with "collections". However, even C didnt quite sound right to me it was the technically sound answer..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 08:47
Marcab wrote:
The only motive is to find as many errors as possible in each incorrect answer choice.
It would be great if we get every perspective for an answer choice.

I guess we easy kill would be A and D. little effort and not damaging is not parallel.
Both C and E are not parallel. We can be 100% sure that transfer, copy and alter should be parallel
B looks fine from both pronoun and parallelism perspective.

This is damn good Q. So many things to consider before making an selection..... :evil:

Cheers
Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:06
Expert's post
What about the answer choice?
IMO a prepositional phrase can't contain the subject, hence shouldn't the "collections" be the subject rather than "music"?

Rules For Posting

Expert Post

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:06
Expert's post
nmehta3 wrote:
carcass wrote:

I was confused between those two as well, ultimately the rules won and I figured that "them" agreed with "collections". However, even C didnt quite sound right to me it was the technically sound answer..

Basically I transfer music.

I'll go for B :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 648 [0], given: 62

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:15
Expert's post
If I say, "Carcass, can you burn your collections of music on an audio CD?"- whats wrong in it?
But if I say, "Carcass, can you burn you music on an audio CD?"- does it sounds right?

Rules For Posting

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 32

Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2012, 09:39
Marcab wrote:
What about the answer choice?
IMO a prepositional phrase can't contain the subject, hence
shouldn't the "collections" be the
subject rather than "music"?

I guess Audiophile is still the subject of the sentence right. ...
music is the object of transfer copy and alter.... correct me if u
feel otherwise ...

Posted from my mobile device Image
Re: Nail the Sentence Correction Section   [#permalink] 13 Dec 2012, 09:39