Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 16:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:13
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (low)

Question Stats:

61% (01:39) correct 39% (00:36) wrong based on 168 sessions
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which consists of a single reprroductive female and workers that defend her

A. ....
B. with each of them consisting
C. each colony consisting
D. and each of them consist
E. and each colony consisting
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 7

Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 13:16
My approach:

A: "each" modifies animals instead of colonies, so modifier err
B: "each of them" - Modifier err & pronoun referrent err
C: Seems ok
D: Pronoun refferent err
E: "and" creating a compund sentence & also instroducing an additional idea in the sentence

Debated over C vs. E and picked E
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2045 [2] , given: 677

Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 15:03
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
",and" can be used in the following situations:

1) to join two independent clauses
2) to separate the last element in a series of three or more parallel items
3) when the phrase before the "and" is set off by commas; note that in this case the ",and" is effectively there by accident, because the comma is only there as a result of the preceding clause

The ,and create a sort of clause that follows the first one but this not convey the meaning of the sentence.

Kudos if this is useful :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:20
I think C is not correct as this does not have any verb, making this a fragment.
I have another doubt regarding "Workers that protect her", Here workers are plural and that is singular and workers should be modify with who not that. Please explain.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
Schools: Duke '16
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 156 [0], given: 40

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 19:49
sandal85 wrote:
I think C is not correct as this does not have any verb, making this a fragment.
I have another doubt regarding "Workers that protect her", Here workers are plural and that is singular and workers should be modify with who not that. Please explain.

Your understand about "that" is totally wrong. THAT in this case is the relative pronoun, so THAT can modify WORKERS in order to make more clear meaning "what are workers doing?". Your understanding: "THAT is singular, worker is plural" is wrong. Moreover, WORKERS here are animals, not people => cannot use WHO.

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1422 [2] , given: 245

Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 20:23
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
sandal85 wrote:
Quote:

The question of ---that-----What is the worry about something that is not underlined? An unnecessary concern about unwanted things will drain our energies in the exam hall. However, to clear the haze, a restrictive pronoun just assumes the characteristics of the noun it touches, singular, or plural notwithstanding. As has been mentioned, rats cannot be referred with who, a word reserved for human beings.

Choice C: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her

This is a simple sentence with a single subject ( rats) and a single verb ( form) and a modifier- each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her- ( modifiers can be phrases with just ideas and need not be full fledged clauses.) Therefore, C is not a fragment

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1422 [1] , given: 245

Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2012, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In E, the structure is totally changed. E is a compound sentence using two clauses and joining them with the conjunction – and -. In a compound sentence, you do need minimum two subjects and two verbs. (You can skip the subject for the second cluse, if the same subject of the first clause can stand good for the second)

E. and each colony consisting; Here the second clause after the –and - has a subject - each colony - but no verb; consisting is not a verb but a present participle; So, E is a fragment

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC - Naked mole rats form colonies... [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 05:58
daagh wrote:
sandal85 wrote:
Quote:

The question of ---that-----What is the worry about something that is not underlined? An unnecessary concern about unwanted things will drain our energies in the exam hall. However, to clear the haze, a restrictive pronoun just assumes the characteristics of the noun it touches, singular, or plural notwithstanding. As has been mentioned, rats cannot be referred with who, a word reserved for human beings.

Choice C: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her

This is a simple sentence with a single subject ( rats) and a single verb ( form) and a modifier- each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her- ( modifiers can be phrases with just ideas and need not be full fledged clauses.) Therefore, C is not a fragment

Hi daagh,
Is each colony consisting of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her an absolute phrase or appositive?

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 09:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
An absolute phrase modifier as the name implies (just a phrase, not a clause and hence will have no verb) is a group of words that describe some action or gives additional info about something it mostly follows or modifies. It is never conjugated with a conjunction such as which or and in order to conncet it to the main clause except by a comma. An absolute phrase embraces the entire preceding clause, explaining some function or nature
On the contrary an appositive is a synonym of a noun or some noun theme, and even one can replace the modified noun with the modified. In addition, the appositive modifier is just placed next to the noun it modifies, either before or after.

Let us now apply this theory.

The modifier has no verb; it is not conjugated with a conjunction but is connected with a comma. The modifier describes the nature of composition of the colonies in question. You cannot replace the any part of the previous clause, with the modifier by itself. In addition, the modifier does not follow its noun so the given phrase is an absolute modifier rather than an appositive.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 99

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2013, 09:35
in the sentence A "Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, each of which consists of a single reprroductive female" - here which represents animals right?since "of approximately 20 animals" is a prepositional phrase can't which jump and refer to colonies correctly?

I have seen in few questions where which jumps after the prepostional phrase, if the meaning is correct..can someone explain the rule of which??

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2013, 05:07
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi,
Skamal

I have attached a file that I have prepared on this topic; Pl see if that helps you

Attachments

16 the usage of relative pronouns ; touch rule.doc [40.5 KiB]
Downloaded 97 times

To download please login or register as a user

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 46

Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 22:36
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.

(A) each of which consists
(B)with each of them consisting
(C)each colony consisting
(D)and each of them consist
(E)and each colony consisting

Need explanation
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.3
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 22:48
i think its an incomplete sentence or as you say a fragment since there is no verb defining/supporting "Naked Mole Rats".
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 8

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 23:08
mun23 wrote:
Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately twenty animals, each of which consists of a single reproductive female and workers that defend her.

(A) each of which consists
(B)with each of them consisting
(C)each colony consisting
(D)and each of them consist
(E)and each colony consisting

Need explanation

Hi mun23,

this is clearly C. out of all the options u r left with C and E . why? because other options has which and them which modifies naked mole rats and not colonies r may b colonies , u dont know. so u have to choose a option with colony.
now between c and e . In E and each is not reuired , this wud lead to some parallelism which is not there in the sentence plus c is less wordy and simple . choose the one which is simple

hope this helps
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1422 [0], given: 245

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 05:17
Expert's post
(A) each of which consists --- This is a run-on sentence, as only a comma separates the two ICs. In this structure, ‘each’ is the subject of the second IC and of which is a middleman.
(B) with each of them consisting --- The problem is the reference of ‘them’
(C)each colony consisting --- correct choice
(D)and each of them consist--- 1. SV error and 2. Pronoun ambiguity
(E) and each colony consisting --- fragment
Of course, choices A, B and D can be dropped because of pronoun ambiguity, although logically one might argue that either ‘which’ or ‘them’ simply stands for only colonies. Neither each of the rats nor the animals can individually have a single reproductive female and workers within themselves, while the colonies each can very well have both the features. But when there is such a blatant gap between existing structure and intended logic, I think it is safe to keep off.
But more importantly, why is C better than E? It is because of the correct grammatical structure. C is a simple sentence, consisting of a subject, a verb primarily and then a modifier that gives some more info about the previous clause. This is a concise acceptable structure.
In E, on the other hand, the structure is totally defective. We are trying to form a compound sentences with two ICs, with the help of a coordinating conjunction ’and’. But the second IC is no IC but a phrase without a verb. So this portion is a fragment. So Ace99 is indeed correct, if he wants to call E a fragment, but A as a run-on.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 17

Premium Member
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 05:39
To daagh
Quote:
daagh wrote (A) each of which consists --- This is a run-on sentence, as only a comma separates the two ICs. In this structure, ‘each’ is the subject of the second IC and of which is a middleman.

i am sorry i dont agree with this as "each of which" falls into sub group modifier category so "each of which" does require a verb
the main problem with A is "colonies" is plural where as "consists" is singular
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 70

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 18:50
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
VP
VP
Followers: 200

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2014, 08:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 231

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals, [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2014, 00:49
E is wrong because
comma+conjunction should have an Independent clause.

"and each colony consisting" is a Fragment.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Naked mole rats form colonies of approximately 20 animals,   [#permalink] 14 Jul 2014, 00:49