Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink]
talk2vj--your post really helps!!! I can't thank you enough :)

I usually take about 2 mins to read RC passages. yes, you are absolutely correct--practice makes perfect. I understand why you are able to nail RC. You are so hard working! I will try to practice about 75-80 RC passages until my test date :-D

Will post back when I need your help.

Thank you so much and best of luck for your application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you. And I wish you the best of luck. :P

windofchange wrote:
talk2vj--your post really helps!!! I can't thank you enough :)

I usually take about 2 mins to read RC passages. yes, you are absolutely correct--practice makes perfect. I understand why you are able to nail RC. You are so hard working! I will try to practice about 75-80 RC passages until my test date :-D

Will post back when I need your help.

Thank you so much and best of luck for your application.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi talk2vj,

I have practiced 4 RC passages in OG12 and my accuracy is almost 100% (got only 1 answer wrong :-D). I have 5 passages left to practice in OG12, then I will move on to LSAT passages. I will practice about 20-30 LSAT passages and see how things go :)

Now I am concerned about my CR accuracy level. CR is my weakest area, next to RC :(. I have read through the PowerScore CR Bible at least thrice, took notes and grasped the strategies to tackle each CR question type. However, my accuracy level in CR is about 50% and tends to increase if I spend more time. My frequently wrong question types are Strengthen, Weaken, and Assumption. I have exhausted the CR problems in OG12 and remembered almost all the answers. Could you pls advise what i should do now?

Thanks in advance! :thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I can cetainly help you with CR. Weaken, Strengthen, and assumption were my fav part of CR. All three of them use the same strategy. You need to identify the wrong answers and test the correct answer. Also, you need to identify "scope" in CR. Let me prepare a document on CR for you. I will post the link. I might take 2-3 days as I am little busy at work.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [2]
Send PM
Kudos

Critical Reasoning Strategies:

I will list my strategies to solve CR. Before you embark on this, make sure that you are fairly comfortable with the following things -

1. How to recognize the weakening, strengthening, and assumption questions? - if not, you may need to refer to Manhattan, Veritas or Powerscore CR Bible.
2. How to identify the conclusion and evidence in the argument? If you are having difficulty, you may need to refer to Powerscore CR bible ( refer to beginning chapters)
3. What weakening and strengthening really mean? In the weakening question, you weaken the conclusion ( and not necessarily destroy it). Similarly, in the strengthening question, you strengthen the conclusion.

I will write this post in blocks. And will edit as I get comments or suggestions.

How to identify wrong answers?

PART A

1. Scope of the argument and answer choices - This is a toughest part of the CR, according to me. How you will determine the scope of the argument? And once you determine the scope of the argument, how you will use to eliminate the answer choice? Let me give some examples. Later I will add OG CR question to evaluate this.

Example 1 : Scientist found a virus that could be used to cure the lyme disease. The virus called H5R is found in the mountain of Himalayas. Thus, the lyme disease could be cured in near future.

Scope : Read the conclusion. You need the eagle eye view on the conclusion. Now let's find out the scope. The scope of this argument is focused on lyme disease. It's not scientist or mountain or to some extent virus ( depends on the CR). Now let's consider some wrong answer choices.
Example 2 : Scientist found a virus that could be used to cure the lyme disease. Because of some concern, FDA advised to not to perform any animal testing. Hence, Scientist will test on human, preferably anyone who is a scientist.
Score : The scope of the argument has been slightly changed from the cure of lyme to testing on human. Again, read the conclusion. Do to lost in any other information.

Now let’s solve one OG 12 Question
11. Wood smoke contains dangerous toxins that cause changes in human cells. Because wood smoke presents such a high health risk, legislation is needed to regulate the use of open-air fires and wood-burning stoves.
Which of the following, if true, provides the most support for the argument above?

(A) The amount of dangerous toxins contained in wood smoke is much less than the amount contained in an equal volume of automobile exhaust.
(B) Within the jurisdiction covered by the proposed legislation, most heating and cooking is done with oil or natural gas.
(C) Smoke produced by coal-burning stoves is significantly more toxic than smoke from wood-burning stoves.
(D) No significant beneficial effect on air quality would result if open-air fires were banned within the jurisdiction covered by the proposed legislation.
(E) In valleys where wood is used as the primary heating fuel, the concentration of smoke results in poor air quality.

Conclusion: legislation is needed to regulate the use of open-air fires and wood-burning stoves.

Scope : Look at the score of the conclusion. Also, pay close attention to action and subject. “Legislation” is required to “regulate the use of open-air and wood-burning stoves”. Now, we are focusing on legislation (broad term) and open-air and wood-burning stoves (narrow terms). The wrong scope choices may be “Judicial”, “US legislation”, “coal-burning stoves”, “closed air stoves”,etc.

Looking at the scope, we can eliminate choices A (wrong scope – automobile exhaust), B (wrong scope – oil or natural gas), and C (wrong scope – coal-burning). D is also out of scope, but I will cover under the strengthen question.

2. Wrong Comparison – This is one choice that I find most often. When you find the word “less than” or “more than”, you know that something is being compared. In my test preparation, I found out that this choice is almost wrong. ( Mind it – I use “almost” as I only encountered one question when this choice was correct. I don’t remember the question). Now, if you look at the above OG question, you will find the choices A and C are being compared with something. So you can knock out those two choices.

Let’s consider another OG 12 example.

20. In recent years, many cabinetmakers have been winning acclaim as artists. But since furniture must be useful, cabinetmakers must exercise their craft with an eye to the practical utility of their product. For this reason, cabinetmaking is not art.

Which of the following is an assumption that supports drawing the conclusion above from the reason given for
that conclusion?

(A) Some furniture is made to be placed in museums, where it will not be used by anyone.
(B) Some cabinetmakers are more concerned than others with the practical utility of the products they produce.
(C) Cabinetmakers should be more concerned with the practical utility of their products than they currently are.
(D) An object is not an art object if its maker pays attention to the object’s practical utility.
(E) Artists are not concerned with the monetary value of their products.

Looking at the above choices, I can blindly eliminate B and C.

Originally posted by talk2vj on 16 May 2011, 00:16.
Last edited by talk2vj on 17 Jun 2011, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance,general management
 Q49  V27 GMAT 2: 680  Q47  V35
WE 1: 1.3
Send PM
even i too face problems in cr (of boiling down to 2 answer choices and then choosing the wrong one)
talk2vij :Your gmat journey is probably the most inspiring one i have come across in this forum and ur post on cr is extremely wonderful(short of words to thank you)please do post for the remaining topics.
thanks a lot
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Sorry guys....I do intend to finish it. Last three weeks were very crazy for me. Some of the colleges asked me to submit the application even though the application cycle is closed. Let me finish soon.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
talk2vj -- I have a quick question about RC timing.
I am practicing 2-3 LSAT passages per day. It often takes me 3-4 minutes to read the whole passage and answer the first question. Do you think that 3 mins is too much?? How about your timing for LSAT passages?
LSAT passages are way too long and I find it hard to read the whole passage in 1-2 mins :(. If I do so, I hardly grasp the gist of the passage.

I am waiting for your next CR topics!! Thank you very much for your effort to help us!
Wish you all the best with you application :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Taking 3-4 mins on your whole passage and first question is not bad. Depending on the passage, I used to take more or less. If your RC accuracy is constant with the current state of timings, now your approach should be to balance RC , CR and SC in the test. Take a full test and see if your RC performance deteriorate. If it does, you need to work on balancing RC, CR, and SC rather than working on individual sections. Let me know and I can help you there. Good luck!!!

Originally posted by talk2vj on 30 May 2011, 10:01.
Last edited by talk2vj on 31 May 2011, 01:15, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
@talk2vj- I've read your debrief many times and it's really encouraging. Can you explain how did you internalize each and every strategy for CR/SC sections? When I read any prompt during the test, I consider it as a story or conversation and start thinking how can I strengthen, weaken, resolve the paradox, explain the situation or find the assumption. For initial questions, this worked fine but for later questions, it was all about which option makes more sense.
How did you apply or you make sure that you applied strategies for each question? A more simplified question- how to internalize the strategies? I tried doing this using OG, Knewton, MGMAT questions and still felt that I didn't apply enough strategies during the real test.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Investment Banking)
Send PM
wow thanks for your extensive debrief!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
talk2vj -- I am taking a full length practice test by the end of this week and see how I can manage the verbal timing.

I have the same question as that of rg1 regarding CR strategy. Some people here suggest to read the PowerScore CR Bible to learn CR strategy for each question type and practice CR problems of that type. I adopt this approach but under the test pressure I can't apply the strategy that I learnt. What should I do? Keep on practicing CR problems so that the strategy will become a second nature to me?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks guys!!!

rc1 and windofchange- I had the same problem with SC. In my debrief, I talked about the situation when we solve SC in untimed and timed tests. In untimed test when you solve SC, think about every possible reasoning for the SC's answer choices. I also suggested what should be done in untimed SC test. After reading the debrief, let me know if you have any question on SC. Also, as I mentioned before, the timed test is a different game. When you attempt SC, there are three things happening -

1. Solving SC in the mix of CR and RC - This impacts the performance as you have to switch the gears frequently.
2. Time pressure - Since we have to solve SC in 45 secs, time is really an essence here. I don't you if you have experienced this. Usually, my heart rate increases when I attempt SC and is normal when I attempt RC. Funny!!
3. Skipping SC - I talked about the educated guess. Most of the 700 scorers had to skip SC or CR based on the performance. So you need to be ready to skip SC. The question is when to skip. To determine this, you have to consider your overall performance, how many questions left and knowledge about upcoming verbal questions ( follow my grid method on the sheet to determine this). You see, this is not easy.

Because of the above items, the performance of SC really depends on one thing - your approach to SC during the practice. So in the full test, I never tried to apply every strategy. Instead I completely trusted my practice and notes. When you attempt the full test, you need to not only test your strategy and concept but also improve your gut feeling and confidence on your instincts. And if you are not able to apply any strategy during the full test, it's time to move on. When you review, you need to find out why you didn't apply any strategy. Usually, I used to find the clue to apply the strategy. For example, if I see ",and", then I know that it may be testing the FANBOYS or parallelism or something like that. So find out the clues in your practice test that will serve you well during the actual test.

Now, CR is little different from SC. In CR, first you need to eliminate the answer choices. At this point, you may not apply weaken/strengthened/assumption/paradox strategy. For example, I talked about using scope method to eliminate the answer choices. If you able to eliminate some answer choices ( or atleast one answer choice) , say, by using the scope method, you are left with fewer answer choices on which you can start applying the strategy. Once I will finish my CR strategies, I can talk about how to solve the CR in full test in more detail. Sorry about that. I am hoping to finish updating my post this week.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: MENSA India
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 630 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 640 Q44 V32
GMAT 3: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 4: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hey talk2vj,

am amazed at your perseverance and helpful attitude.
Congratulations on the 720 and good luck for the B-School application process :-)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks. Sorry. I am still not able to finish my post :x . Last couple of days were crazy. Now, everything is behind me, I can work on this.
Manager
Manager
Send PM

How to identify wrong answers?

PART B

3. Wrong answer choices for weakening question

a) Category

Usually the weaken type question falls in the below three categories. Read the conclusion of the argument to identify the below three categories.
* Unaccounted Possibility - showing that the conclusion fails to account for some element or possibility. Note: The conclusion is sometimes destroyed in the weakening case.

This is most common category. When you read any CR, you should ask yourself "which is that possibility or factor missing that could weaken the argument". It is important to churn your brain when you see any CR question even though it doesn't lead to any ending, or worst it gives many options.

Let do a CR.

Argument: The ability to access information via computer is a tremendous resource for visually impaired people. Only a limited amount of printed information is accessible in braille, large type, or audiotape. But a person with the right hardware and software can access a large quantity of information from libraries and museums around the world, and can have the computer read the information aloud, display it in large type, or produce a braille version. Thus, visually impaired people can now access information from computers more easily than they can from most traditional sources.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument expressed above?

The conclusion is that the visually impaired people can get the information through the computers easily, which was not the case in the past. Now what factor is missing that can weaken this argument. Everything looks good about this argument. Still there is that one hidden dark secret that can kill this argument. (Add humor when you are reasoning). I can think of several unaccounted possibilities. Some of them are

1. The visually impaired people traditionally never able to see the graphics, nature images or painting for their studies. Computer would still not able to help.
2. The visually impaired people could not afford computer or software.
3. Due to piracy, many museum or libraries are taking their content out from the software and the content would not be available in computers in next 5 years or blah...

See, you can come with many possibilities. All you need to find out what kind of weakening answer you are looking for.

* Unaccounted Comparison - You will find this situation when something is compared with something else and a conclusion is stated.

The below excerpt is from my notes. This is one example where the unaccounted comparison situation is applied.

(OG 10 Ques - 93) : The premise is based on the dental discovery that tooth brushes are contaminated after four weeks of usage and that the contamination with bacteria causes pneumonia and strep throat. The conclusion is offered that the tooth brushes should be replaced once per month. The reasoning error is in the observation and in the correlation between the number of weeks and the occurrence of pneumonia and strep throat. The argument is weakening by Unaccounted Comparison answer type. It states that the incidence of disease among the people who used contaminated tooth brushes is no higher than among people who used uncontaminated tooth brush.

* Alternate explanation or reason. Note: The position of the conclusion is mostly weaken and not destroyed.

This is an important category. It is slightly different from the unaccounted possibility. In this category, you are just finding another reason to establish the weakening of the conclusion.

Another excerpt from my notes. This is to establish the alternate reason category.

(OG 10 Ques -81) : The conclusion is that the program to control the entry of illegal drugs into the country was a failure in 1987. The premise is that if the program had been successful, the wholesales price of most illegal drugs would have dropped substantially in 1987. The reasoning is based on the indicator of the success of the plan which would raise the wholesales price of most illegal drugs. To weaken this reasoning, we will need an alternate reason as to why the wholesale price fell. The answer is the domestic production of illegal drugs increased substantially in 1987. Watch adverb "substantially” common in both premise and answer, confirming the suitability of choice.

b) Place, distance or time fallacy

Remember - This fallacy is true for assumption, weaken and strengthen questions.

Excerpt from my notes:

A course of action is proposed by tabling out a plan in a desired region. Eliminate a choice when it states that the similar plan is not successful in one region. If a plan is not successful in one region, it is not a strong answer to assume that the same or similar plan will not work in the desired region. Note: The same is true for time. If a plan was or was not successful at one time, it doesn't guarantee that it will be or not be successful again. The opposite of this is also true. Eliminate a choice when it states that the similar plan is successful in one region or at one time.

Let’s consider an example. This is an assumption question. But as I said, you can use for weaken type as well. Pay attention to key words to identify the fallacy.

A recent report determined that only five percent of all homeowners in Stockton have outfitted their homes with burglar alarms. However, of the Stockton homes that have been burglarized within the last five years, 25 percent were outfitted with such alarms during the burglaries. Clearly, Stockton homeowners who outfit their homes with burglar alarms are more likely to become victims of burglary than are those who do not.

The conclusion above depends on which of the following assumptions?

* The number of homes in Stockton that were burglarized within the last five years is greater than the number of homes equipped with burglar alarms.
* A significant number of the homes in Stockton that were burglarized within the last five years were burglarized more than once within this time period.
* Homes that have been burglarized within the last five years are more likely to be burglarized than are homes that have not been burglarized within the last five years.
* Homeowners who outfit their homes with burglar alarms are less likely to become victims of burglary than are homeowners who have not installed such alarms.
* Homeowners in Stockton who have outfitted their homes with burglar alarms are more likely to be victims of burglary than homeowners with burglar alarms living in other similar cities . (Place Fallacy)

Ans C

OG 12 - 87 In the United States, of the people who moved from one state to another when they retired, the percentage who retired to Florida has decreased by three percentage points over the past ten years. Since many local businesses in Florida cater to retirees, these declines are likely to have a noticeably negative economic effect on these businesses and therefore on the economy of Florida.
Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the argument given?
(A) People who moved from one state to another when they retired moved a greater distance, on average, last year than such people did ten years ago. (Time Fallacy)
(B) People were more likely to retire to North Carolina from another state last year than people were ten years ago.
(C) The number of people who moved from one state to another when they retired has increased significantly over the past ten years.
(D) The number of people who left Florida when they retired to live in another state was greater last year than it was ten years ago.
(E) Florida attracts more people who move from one state to another when they retire than does any other state.

Ans C - Note - C is not having the time fallacy because the choice is confined to the same time period. ( Thanks rg1 to point this out)

c) Scope

In my previous post, I talked about the scope. Read them properly. The scope is the next best thing in CR if you get a grasp.

d) Cause and Effect

Refer to the CR Bible from Powerscore. I don't think there is a book that could explain more clearly and concisely. Excerpt from my notes -

If Casual Relationship argument, make a mental note of cause-effect relation using the below rules.
* Find an alternate cause for the stated effect.
* Shows that when the cause occurs, the effect does not occur.
* Shows that although the effect occurs, the cause did not occur.
* Show that the stated relationship is reversed.
* Shows that a statistical problem exists with the data used to make the casual statement

If you need more elaborate explanation, I can certainly do that. I need to know if there is any audience for it. :-)

e) Opposite Choice

This choice is valid for both strengthening and weakening. Beware of the opposite choice. It is very common to pick the strengthen choice in the weaken question. The best way to prevent this from happening is by going back to the conclusion and then read question again before clicking OK button. But I understand if you don't have time. Under time pressure, no one expects us to be sane. But try to practice it.

f) Numbers and Percentage

Again, read the CR bible and read this chapter carefully. Don't underestimate this chapter. It has potential to jack up your CR score if you get a question on numbers/percentage. And according to my experience, you may get one question on this topic. If you need more details, I can come up with an example.

More parts are coming......stay tuned!!!!

Originally posted by talk2vj on 17 Jun 2011, 17:07.
Last edited by talk2vj on 21 Jun 2011, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance,general management
 Q49  V27 GMAT 2: 680  Q47  V35
WE 1: 1.3
Send PM
excellent post sir,was really of graet help especially the cr,thanks a lot and please do post more
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts