Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 18 Jun 2011, 09:59
i have noticed in my test attempts that i tend to go wrong on rcs's that occur in the end
like somewhere in the range of qno 35- 41 especially due to time crunch.Is there any special pacing strategy one can apply for these end rc's
Indian Schools Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 11:08
Hello adhithya,

In my first briefing, I mentioned about creating grid in the laminated sheets. It really helped me to pace myself. I am copying the strategy below. At first, it seems to be a drag, but believe me if you want to improve your pace, this strategy will surely work. The idea is to keep tab of SC, CR, and RC questions that you have attempted. If you are behind, you need to follow the educated guess and skip SC or CR so taht you have enough time for RC. Remember, RC is more important that CR and SC. And never makes series of mistakes. For example, if you skip SC since you didn't have time or understand the reasoning, make every effort to solve the next problem - whether CR or SC ( although you will be tempted to skip the next question if it is CR. But don't do it.)

F) Manhattan's Test Simulation Booklet - Now this is important. I don't think that I have heard people talking about how to use the sheet during the exam wisely. This is what I did. First I prepared time metric for both quant and verbal. This time metric basically helped to gauge my speed. For example, according to my qunat metric , I should finish question 10 in first 20 mins. I joted down the quant metrics from page 1 to 9 and the verbal metics on page 10. Also, I created three sets of grids - one for RC, CR and SC on the page 10. I used grid to answer the verbal questions. And I also used to find out how many CR, SC and RC questions that I have attempted. Just to give you the advantage of drawing this grid, after I finish my fourth RC in GMAT, I knew exactly how many CRs and SCs I had to attempt. Why I am telling this now in this section? During my mock test, I practiced this so I remember doing this on the actual test.

Let me know if this works for you.

adhithya wrote:
i have noticed in my test attempts that i tend to go wrong on rcs's that occur in the end
like somewhere in the range of qno 35- 41 especially due to time crunch.Is there any special pacing strategy one can apply for these end rc's

----------------------------------------------
My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

If you like my post, Kudos me.

Don't forget to visit me - http://mbaido.wordpress.com/

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2011, 18:47
Quote:
A recent report determined that only five percent of all homeowners in Stockton have outfitted their homes with burglar alarms. However, of the Stockton homes that have been burglarized within the last five years, 25 percent were outfitted with such alarms during the burglaries. Clearly, Stockton homeowners who outfit their homes with burglar alarms are more likely to become victims of burglary than are those who do not.

The conclusion above depends on which of the following assumptions?

* The number of homes in Stockton that were burglarized within the last five years is greater than the number of homes equipped with burglar alarms. (Time Fallacy)
* A significant number of the homes in Stockton that were burglarized within the last five years were burglarized more than once within this time period. (Time Fallacy)
* Homes that have been burglarized within the last five years are more likely to be burglarized than are homes that have not been burglarized within the last five years.
* Homeowners who outfit their homes with burglar alarms are less likely to become victims of burglary than are homeowners who have not installed such alarms.
* Homeowners in Stockton who have outfitted their homes with burglar alarms are more likely to be victims of burglary than homeowners with burglar alarms living in other similar cities . (Place Fallacy)

Ans C - So if you able to understand the fallacy, you can eliminate three answer choices just like that. Cool. Don't you think!!

@talk2vj- I understand that E is an example of place fallacy but how A and B are examples of 'time fallacy'?

1. Premise1- 5%Home= HomeWAlarms
2. Premise2- 25%BurgHomes in last 5 yrs= Y%(HomeWAlarms)
Therefore, HomeWAlarms are more vulnerable.

A an B are using the same time frame which premises are using. Are you saying that conclusion is not about 'past 5 years' but about 'present' time?

Can you give more examples or point to more examples using time fallacy, place fallacy and distance fallacy?
Also, can you explain about CR questions using >=4 entities and trying to trick with wrong comparisons? Let me know if I'm asking too much in one post :wink: ?
Is it time to add time, place, and distance in GMATClub? I'll request BB.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 1.3
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 17:00
talk2vij,can u explain a little more about grid or perhaps post a sample document of it so that i can understand a little more about it
Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 19:03
Thanks rg1 to pointing it out. You were right on. I corrected the problem. Sorry, I didn't read the argument. Just looked into the answer choices and thought lucky to find both fallacies in the same question, which is rare.

I have fixed the description and provided an example for the time fallacy. And as you mentioned, if the argument has mentioned the time frame and the same time frame is used in the answer choice, it will unlikely fall under the time fallacy.

Let me go through the OG books to point out the fallacies.

I do want to mention about the "Stockton" CR. The choice A is having the percentage/number fallacy for which I recommend to refer to the PowerScore CR bible. Let me know if you have any question.

rg1 wrote:
Quote:
A recent report determined that only five percent of all homeowners in Stockton have outfitted their homes with burglar alarms. However, of the Stockton homes that have been burglarized within the last five years, 25 percent were outfitted with such alarms during the burglaries. Clearly, Stockton homeowners who outfit their homes with burglar ala.................................Is it time to add time, place, and distance in GMATClub? I'll request BB.

My GMAT Experience : http://gmatclub.com/forum/name-of-the-game-do-not-giveup-112609.html

Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2011, 20:02
adhithya wrote:
talk2vij,can u explain a little more about grid or perhaps post a sample document of it so that i can understand a little more about it

No problem Adhithya. Here it is. Due to procrastination, I scanned the existing grid that I created during the practice. But I add the comments for better understanding. So that you are clear, here is more information -

Red Frame - What you see in the red frame are three sections - RC , CR , and SC.Also, I have created the grid with answer choices A, B , C, D, and E.

Blue Frame - The numbers under the blue frame are the question numbers marked from 1 to 14 for RC and CR and 1 to 17 for SC. Just assume that you will get 13 to 14 RC questions. But the number of CR and SC questions varies. It depends on many factors. After you do each question, strike off the number. For example, when you start the verbal test, let's say, you get SC first. Solve it and then strike off. Then you get CR. Solve CR and then strike off. If you do this, you can
1) predict how many CR or SC questions you will get after, say Question No 30. It will come by practice.
2) maintain your pace. One thing is not visible here is the time table that I drew on the right edge of the page. It has the range of question , say 1 to 8, and then how many mins I can spend, say, 16 mins. So the table will look like

1 - 8 - (16) 75 to 60 ( 75 and 60 are the time on the timer)

To maintain the pace, you need to solve the questions within the time frame defined in the table. If you are far behind, you need to either rev up your pace or skip. If you are planning to skip and you are , say, at question 33, refer to the grid. If you have already got four RCs ( or solve 12 to 14 RC questions... refer to your strikes) and you have 10 mins left, you know that you will get only CR or SC. Accordingly, you can solve SC and skip CR. Atleast, you don't have to worry about the RC.

Green Frame - What you are seeing the green grid is the time from the timer. When I get RC, I jot down the time from the timer. WHen I finish the RC, I jot down the time again. Then I mentally calculate the time difference. If I took more than expected, I know that I need to speed up. This is how you will maintain your pace.

White Grid - What you see in the white grid are two shapes - circle and cross. I use circle "O" against the answer choice if I think it to be the potential answer. And I use cross "X" if I know for sure the answer is wrong. If you see blank, it means that I found the answer.

Hopefully it is helpful.
Attachments

Verbal Grid.jpg
Verbal Grid.jpg [ 841.52 KiB | Viewed 6006 times ]

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 61

Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2011, 15:48
wow!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 18:26
Great tips on RC dude! You are a rock star in RC man - you did 20 LSAT paper, wow! You had ton of patience :)
Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 20:45
Thanks Abhicool. I am glad you like it. By the way, best of luck for your exam.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 11:25
Excellent Debrief of a GMAT journey. WoW - Loved it !!!

"Remember this - first mistake shows ignorance, second mistake shows chance, and third mistake shows arrogance. So if you are making the same mistake more than twice, rethink your strategy." - Really cool. Do you mind if I borrow this quote for some days ? Alas :( no name to put the author of this quote.

Do keep us posted about your Applications and Admits !!!

Labor cost for typing this post >= Labor cost for pushing the Kudos Button
kudos-what-are-they-and-why-we-have-them-94812.html

Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 16:40
krishp84 - Thank you. You can certainly use the quote.

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 21:39
grt help....thanx a ton.........

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 268 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 21:53
Amazing debrief.....ur debrief is like after battle a soldier returns home and narrate d entire episode, i am sure this debrief will work for most......

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2011, 22:06
rajeevrks27 - Thank you.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 6

Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2011, 21:31
Great post, especially mentioning Evernote, I have found it to be a perfect tool for taking notes, keeping an error log, and organizing thoughts for application essays!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 23:27
excellent debrief
Indian Schools Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 23:32
Thank you, Sandeep and branko89

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 145 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 30 Nov 2011, 13:53
That was something!!!!!Excellent work....how are applications going on?

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3
WE: Web Development (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 13:46
Good detail... Great debrief ! !
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720) [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2012, 13:58
Thanks for the inspirational story, since it showed the determination and the grit you possessed in wanting to kill the beast. I am struggling a little bit with my practice tests as my highest has been a 580, but I strongly believe that with a little more practice and more courage, I will be able to cross the threshold of 700 and better. Thank you once again for this nice post and I hope to be able to emulate your example.
Re: Name of the game - DO NOT GIVEUP (720)   [#permalink] 20 Apr 2012, 13:58