Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 11:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 17

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 14:53
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

72% (01:39) correct 28% (00:50) wrong based on 167 sessions
Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, and their annual migrations following the seasnal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.
A. their annual migrations following
B. their annual migrations which follow
C. their annual migrations follow
D. whose annual migrations following
E. whose annual migrations follow

[Reveal] Spoiler:
So I have no idea what this question is even trying to say. The whole thing sounds illogical to me.

Why is the correct answer C not some sort of fragment?

To me, it sounds like this... Narwhals seek sanctuary from killer whales, and their annual migrations follow the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

To me, "seek" (conjugated verb) is not structurally parallel to "their annual migrations" follow.... ugh
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 2337 [0], given: 693

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2012, 15:03
Expert's post
I'm always happy for a gmatprep-gmat-original sentence.

Why do you have problems with C. It is pretty straightforward.

A is wrong brcause the verb following doesn't make sense at all in the context

B is wrong for the reason that which is preceded always by a comma in american english or at least in gmatland

D and E with the usage of whose is wrong because is the possessive of who, and refers to who or ewhat ??'

C is clear and straight: narvals follow the seasonal movements of the ice

Hope this helps ;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Expert Post
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1562 [0], given: 249

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 04:58
Expert's post
This has something to do with the structure of a sentence. Generally compound sentences involving the coordinator 'and' will have to balance the structure on either sides of the said conjunction parallelly. You may find that in the clauses follows the semicolon, the first part is a full-fledged while you expect the same such clause in the second part after ‘and’ having a full verb. . Unfortunately choices A, B, D and E contain simple phrases involving participles or sub clauses having which or whose. Only C sticks to the basic grammar of structure.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT Date: 07-25-2013
GPA: 3.83
WE: Architecture (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 99

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:37
Can some one explain what is the problem in FOLLOWING in option A with an explanantion???

"Giving kudos" is a decent way to say "Thanks" and motivate contributors. Please use them, it won't cost you anything

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1562 [2] , given: 249

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 07:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
@skamal

Pl follow this example.

1. X ate water melon, his children looking at him —This is a simple sentence where x is the subject, and ate is the verb and the fruit, the object; What follows after the comma is a simple phrase, without a verb( looking’ is a present participle , not a verb) . We cannot use an ‘and’ in this case after the watermelon because and we can join only two equal things, be it two clauses or phrases or simply words. The word ‘and’ prevents the modifier phrase from being grammatically attached to the IC.
2. X ate watermelon as his children looked at him --- This is complex sentence, involving an independent clause (IC) and a dependent clause, both of which have their own verbs and hence they are called clauses. The word ‘as’ is a subordinate conjunction and now after having used a subordinate conjunction, we cannot use again another co-ordinate conjunction such as ‘and’.
3. When you follow an IC with and, then what must follow must also be an IC. Since ‘and’ is not underlined and since that will be part of any answer, then the only choice that will go with that structure is a clause that has a verb in the second arm ; only C has that structure.

I hope it is clear now why A violates sentence structure

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 29

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 11:19
C

The comma after "their chief predator" signals that the next part of the sentence could be a standalone sentence. You need a comma to link these. To find the correct answer, you must see which of the answer choices, followed by "the seasnal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice", can stand on their own as a sentence. Answer choice C is the only one that can do so; therefore, Answer choice C is correct.

If my post helped you, please consider giving me kudos.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Accounting
GMAT Date: 04-06-2013
GPA: 3.65
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 46

Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2013, 21:50
Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds and ice-shielded bays they seek sanctuary from killer whales, their chief predator, and their annual migrations following the seasnal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

Can anyone explain option a & c in detail
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 8

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 01:47
if we were to go by it technically ... the they seek will have to be in parellel with they follow and not following
Manager
Manager
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 12:54
A lacks the main verb and hence is a fragment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 38

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2013, 14:56
After three minutes and a half I got it right. The important thing is to hnderstand that the underlined part stillmodifies the narwhales , not their predator.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 70

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 18:57
All duplicate threads on this topic have been merged.

Please check and follow the Guidelines for Posting in Verbal GMAT forum before posting anything.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 45

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 01:40
daagh wrote:
@skamal

Pl follow this example.

1. X ate water melon, his children looking at him —This is a simple sentence where x is the subject, and ate is the verb and the fruit, the object; What follows after the comma is a simple phrase, without a verb( looking’ is a present participle , not a verb) . We cannot use an ‘and’ in this case after the watermelon because and we can join only two equal things, be it two clauses or phrases or simply words. The word ‘and’ prevents the modifier phrase from being grammatically attached to the IC.
2. X ate watermelon as his children looked at him --- This is complex sentence, involving an independent clause (IC) and a dependent clause, both of which have their own verbs and hence they are called clauses. The word ‘as’ is a subordinate conjunction and now after having used a subordinate conjunction, we cannot use again another co-ordinate conjunction such as ‘and’.
3. When you follow an IC with and, then what must follow must also be an IC. Since ‘and’ is not underlined and since that will be part of any answer, then the only choice that will go with that structure is a clause that has a verb in the second arm ; only C has that structure.

I hope it is clear now why A violates sentence structure

Thanks! because of members like you I enjoy surfing here.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: IIMB, advantages.us, IIML
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: iim-bangalore - Class of 1994
GMAT 1: 750 Q59 V43
GPA: 3.12
WE: Research (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 39

Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2013, 09:51
anon1 wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
So I have no idea what this question is even trying to say. The whole thing sounds illogical to me.

Why is the correct answer C not some sort of fragment?

To me, it sounds like this... Narwhals seek sanctuary from killer whales, and their annual migrations follow the seasonal rhythm of advancing and retreating ice.

To me, "seek" (conjugated verb) is not structurally parallel to "their annual migrations" follow.... ugh

carcass has that part right, it is a perfect gmat original sentence and quick to ill it helps your clock, ( I am hus adding here that this might be one of those candidates whose reponse matters wheere from the difficuty distribution, you get the next few 'targets'? Also in whch case, oe sth e Adaptive mark my seconds with which I ease into the right answer..(I understand we get two chances during the exam to test the difficulty barrier towards sonic scores..

C it is , straght and narrow, no other range definitions, modifiers or leftover reasoning to fit in the rest of the sentence.
Re: Narwhals can be called whales of ice: in icy channels, pouds   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2013, 09:51