Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Naturalist: One of the most powerful forces of natural

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 193

Naturalist: One of the most powerful forces of natural [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2010, 09:49
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

66% (02:44) correct 33% (02:07) wrong based on 141 sessions
Naturalist: One of the most powerful forces of natural selection is that exercised by individuals in choosing a mate. Among most insects and vertebrates, males do the courting and females do the choosing. This division of labor makes sense. Sperm are less costly, energetically speaking, than eggs and are always more abundant. All other factors being equal, therefore, a male optimizes his contribution to the gene pool by mating as frequently as possible. On the other hand, a female seeks quality—often measured by the physical appearance of the male—rather than quantity, because her energy investment in each act of reproduction is typically greater than the male’s investment

Which of the following is a logical consequence of the ideas offered by the author?

A) This explains the sometimes violent skirmishes between males competing for territory.
B) Often, the female of the species has little or no use for the male after conception or fertilization, and in some cases she kills the male.
C) This process of sexual selection is more apt to produce striking visual and other adaptations among males than among females.
D) Therefore, in any given species, the females will outnumber the males.
E) This, in part, explains why breeding females often cluster for protection of their offspring.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: naturalist [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2010, 10:10
+1 C

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: naturalist [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2010, 20:54
metallicafan wrote:
+1 C

Even I think its C
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 22:25
A) This explains the sometimes violent skirmishes between males competing for territory. - I dont see how territories will enter in this argument
B) Often, the female of the species has little or no use for the male after conception or fertilization, and in some cases she kills the male. No logical conclusion can be made for the killing of the male
C) This process of sexual selection is more apt to produce striking visual and other adaptations among males than among females. My answer. Since the male is competing for sexual attention from male he is bound to produce striking visual and other adaptations.
D) Therefore, in any given species, the females will outnumber the males. No conclusion can be made about this
E) This, in part, explains why breeding females often cluster for protection of their offspring.No conclusion can be made for this
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 11-10-2012

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 22:52
i guess E, because of energy investment in reproduction by females
VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 00:12
Those are the key points in the passage.

Naturalist: One of the most powerful forces of natural selection is that exercised by individuals in choosing a mate.
Male optimizes his contribution to the gene pool by mating as frequently as possible.
A female seeks quality—often measured by the physical appearance of the male—rather than quantity.

Which of the following is a logical consequence of the ideas offered by the author?

A) This explains the sometimes violent skirmishes between males competing for territory.
No way we can conlcude something about territory from the info above.
B) Often, the female of the species has little or no use for the male after conception or fertilization, and in some cases she kills the male.
Again, this conclusion is not a consequence of the idead in the passage.
C) This process of sexual selection is more apt to produce striking visual and other adaptations among males than among females.
CORRECT: because female seeks physical appearance of the male, this means that " striking visual" males are more likely to reproduce and to transmit their characteristics to the next generation.
D) Therefore, in any given species, the females will outnumber the males.
Out of scope.
E) This, in part, explains why breeding females often cluster for protection of their offspring.
We cannot say so just by reading the text

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 6

Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 01:10
Zarrolou wrote:
CORRECT: because female seeks physical appearance of the male, this means that " striking visual" males are more likely to reproduce and to transmit their characteristics to the next generation.

I'm not sure how transmitting of characteristics contributes to the logical consequence of the idea. Can you please elaborate on that? Thanks.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 9

Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 01:23
This post received
KUDOS
OA: C

The question stem reflects on the ideas generated by the paragraph rather than on the consequences (conclusion). There are several ideas presented in the answer choices, each one alluding in some way to mate selection. Look for a logical conclusion.
(C) is the best choice because the paragraph talks of natural selection and choosing a mate; we might expect the male of the species to have, for example, colorful plumage to attract the female.

(A) is incorrect.

(A) describes something that might occur in nature, but does not follow logically from the paragraph.

(B) is incorrect.

(B) is incorrect because the paragraph focuses upon selection, not dismissal, of a mate.

(D) is incorrect.

(D) is incorrect. The ratio of females to males has little or nothing to do with natural selection and choosing a mate, as described in the paragraph.

(E) is incorrect.

(E) deals with raising the young, another subject not alluded to in the paragraph.

giving kudos is the best thing you can do for me..

VP
VP
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Followers: 92

Kudos [?]: 998 [0], given: 219

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 11 May 2013, 02:54
connexion wrote:
Zarrolou wrote:

I'm not sure how transmitting of characteristics contributes to the logical consequence of the idea. Can you please elaborate on that? Thanks.

The famale seeks quality=> physical appearance of the male, so the "better looking" males are more likely to reproduce than than the others.
So if the striking male reproduces, its characteristics will pass to the next generation ( and because the "ugly" male is not likely to reproduce, its characteristics will not pass to the next generation). This process has as result the fact that will produce striking visual male because the next generation inherit the features of their parents

Is correct because almost only the striking visual males will reproduce, and as result the next generation will have its characteristics.

Does this help? Let me know

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Affiliations: NYK Line
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 213 [1] , given: 65

Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful... [#permalink] New post 12 May 2013, 06:09
This post received
KUDOS
Indeed the answer must be C...I think this is an inference question and we must not select something that is way too strong or out of scope..Clearly ..there are only two contenders C and E.If we think over what is tated in e , we end up finding that it just explains the fact that why female are more concerned about the eggs. On the contrary we need an inference that deals with the passage as a whole. The passage is concerned with the natural selection from male and female point of view. Hence, we find that the answer must be C.

Consider kudos if my post helps!!!!!!!!!!

Archit
Re: Naturalist: One of the most powerful...   [#permalink] 12 May 2013, 06:09