Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 07:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 142 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

59% (01:52) correct 41% (00:59) wrong based on 233 sessions
has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that
a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns
and causes of ocean currents.
B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean
currents and their causes have emerged.
C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents,
their patterns and the causes of them
D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.
E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and their causes
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 142 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #17 V32 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 09:22
What's wrong with D?

People say that "have" should be "has"
Is it impossible to see D in the way that a clear picture of ~ and what caused them HAVE emerged ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: GWD #17 V32 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2012, 21:24
This is how you can solve this question in less than a minute:

Concept:
--> You have a subordinate clause starting form THAT... ( make sure you know the difference b/w a main clause and a subordinate clause)

--> This question deals with the concept of subject verb agreement. Also, the subject in few of the answer choices are inverted.

What do I mean by inverted subject?
Eg: The king sat on the bench.
Inverted: On the bench sat the king.

Solution:

Each subordinate clause can have it's own subject and verb. In this case that subject is : A reasonably clear picture ( the highlighted part is the adjective, not the subject).

Since the subject is singular we can have either of the two grammatical constructions:
1. A reasonably clear picture HAS emerged.
2. There HAS emerged a reasonably clear picture. ( Inverted subject)

B: Does not follow this construction
C: It's a fragment, the main verb is missing.
D: Does not follow the inverted subject construction.
E: Incorrect tense form + other issues. ( It's quite unlikely that anyone of you would be confused about this answer choice, however if you still want me to explain I'll be happy to provide an explanation-just ask for it)

Inverted constructions are tested often on the GMAT. The moment you realize that this in an inverted S-V question you can get down to the correct answer pretty quickly. :)

eybrj2, hope this helps :)

GMAT Central
GMAT Private Tutor(online)
50 hours@ $950; Customized tutoring approach
Tutored clients from Morgan Stanley
PM If interested

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1267

Kudos [?]: 3528 [1] , given: 185

Re: GWD #17 V32 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2012, 05:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
eybrj2 wrote:
What's wrong with D?

Is it impossible to see D in the way that a clear picture of ~ and what caused them HAVE emerged ?

Hi,

Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents

Choice D: there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.

Since we need to ascertain the subject for the verb "have emerged", let us ask, what emerged? The answer is "a reasonably clear picture". This is an entity in singular number. So, what is this picture about? This picture is about the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them. Pronoun "them" refers to "currents" and not the picture. Also "what caused them" is associated with the "ocean currents" and not the "picture". Hence, the use of plural verb "have emerged" for a singular entity "a reasonably clear picture" is not correct. We need a singular verb here. Choice A is the only answer with correct verb tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 18

Re: GWD #17 V32 [#permalink] New post 03 Jun 2012, 23:38
eybrj2 wrote:
has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that
a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns
and causes of ocean currents.
B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean
currents and their causes have emerged.
C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents,
their patterns and the causes of them
D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.
E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the
patterns of ocean currents and their causes

i pick A. B is wordy, in my point of view C, D and E are nonsensical and a bit awkward. correct me if i am wrong. by the way whats the source of this question?

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 562

GMAT Tests User
Re: GWD #17 V32 [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2013, 01:35
egmat wrote:
eybrj2 wrote:
What's wrong with D?

Hi,

Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and
causes of ocean currents

Choice D: there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.

Since we need to ascertain the subject for the verb "have emerged", let us ask, what emerged? The answer is "a reasonably clear picture". This is an entity in singular number. So, what is this picture about? This picture is about the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them. Pronoun "them" refers to "currents" and not the picture. Also "what caused them" is associated with the "ocean currents" and not the "picture". Hence, the use of plural verb "have emerged" for a singular entity "a reasonably clear picture" is not correct. We need a singular verb here. Choice A is the only answer with correct verb tense.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
I feel B is correct.. as the picture that has emerged is of the patterns and not also about their causes..

Please correct me if I am incorrect.

hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies.

Who says you need a 700 ?Check this out : http://gmatclub.com/forum/who-says-you-need-a-149706.html#p1201595

My GMAT Journey : end-of-my-gmat-journey-149328.html#p1197992

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15, NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE: Project Management (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [2] , given: 54

Reviews Badge
Re: Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean [#permalink] New post 03 May 2013, 08:11
This post received
KUDOS
Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean has variable currents, but it is only in the last half century that a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.

A. a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.
B. a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes have emerged.
C. a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents, their patterns and the causes of them
D. there have emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and what caused them.
E. there had emerged a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes

First let us break the SC into clauses

1.Navigators have known for thousands of years
2.the ocean has variable currents,
3.but it is only in the last half century
4.a reasonably clear picture has emerged of the patterns and causes of ocean currents.

In the above clauses the 4 th clause is the underlined portion.

Process of elimination.

Choice B . a reasonably clear picture of the patterns of ocean currents and their causes have emerged -in the 4 th clause the subject is "clear picture" so the verb should be singular but in the option "have emerged" is plural and "theirs" referring to "clear picture".So B is wrong

Choice C a reasonably clear picture emerged of ocean currents, their patterns and the causes of them - here in this we do not have any verb reffering to the subject of the clause "clear picture".So C is incorrect

Choice the subject of the clause "clear picture" is singular but the verb "have is plural" so D is wrong

Choice D "their" which is plural refers to subject of the clause "clear picture" which is singular so E is wrong

The final answer is "A"

I hope the explanation helps.Please correct if I am wrong.

.........................................................................................
Please give me kudos if my posts help.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 260

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2014, 06:34
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Navigators have known for thousands of years that the ocean   [#permalink] 15 Jul 2014, 06:34