Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 06:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Texas '12
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 08:51
Hi, I have a little dilemma and I’m looking for some advice. I’ve been admitted to both schools and like them for very different reasons. Socially Austin is the clear cut winner, but the small poor weather town of South Bend is less distracting so studying would benefit.

My question is this: which school could better get me where I want to go career wise? I’m looking into consulting, but not necessarily M/B/B. Companies like Deloitte are in my target range. Ultimately I would like to end up in Seattle, Portland, or Phoenix post graduation.

Anyone who has experiences with either of these schools or industry your thought and opinions are appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [1] , given: 31

Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
sdg wrote:
Hi, I have a little dilemma and I’m looking for some advice. I’ve been admitted to both schools and like them for very different reasons. Socially Austin is the clear cut winner, but the small poor weather town of South Bend is less distracting so studying would benefit.

My question is this: which school could better get me where I want to go career wise? I’m looking into consulting, but not necessarily M/B/B. Companies like Deloitte are in my target range. Ultimately I would like to end up in Seattle, Portland, or Phoenix post graduation.

Anyone who has experiences with either of these schools or industry your thought and opinions are appreciated.

I would recommend McCombs. McCombs is a clear winner if you were to use rankings. Aside from rankings, McCombs has a very strong network throughout the United States. I would look at recruiting statistics for both. I would think McCombs would win out again. The social life in Austin is great, but I am sure you will find time to study.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 73

Kudos [?]: 688 [0], given: 548

Reviews Badge
Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 16:47
lagomez has it right on the money. UTexas-Austin's FT MBA program has better career services and job opportunities compared to Notre Dame's bschool. For consulting, you will definitely see more opportunities at Austin.

I've met some students from Notre Dame this year during off campus recruiting for CPG. They didn't sound like they were completely happy over there, from academics to career services.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 2

Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 17:42
There is quite a disparity as mentioned from a rankings and networking perspective. The latter isn't a knock on ND, just sheer numbers from Texas. I'm not really interested in the consulting track but I have noticed that Deloitte seems to recruit heavily at McCombs. One thing I did when making my school decision was to go to certain company web sites and see what campuses they listed as targets at the MBA level. If you do that for Deloitte consulting you will see McCombs as a target in each practice group. Links below.

Business Technology (on right side drop down) http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/service_home.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=47&AudienceID=1

Human Capital http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/Service_Subsection.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=3&ServiceAreaPageID=88&AudienceID=1

Strategy and Ops http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/Service_Subsection.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=1&ServiceAreaPageID=301&AudienceID=1
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 201 [0], given: 31

Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 18:24
merkin wrote:
There is quite a disparity as mentioned from a rankings and networking perspective. The latter isn't a knock on ND, just sheer numbers from Texas. I'm not really interested in the consulting track but I have noticed that Deloitte seems to recruit heavily at McCombs. One thing I did when making my school decision was to go to certain company web sites and see what campuses they listed as targets at the MBA level. If you do that for Deloitte consulting you will see McCombs as a target in each practice group. Links below.

Business Technology (on right side drop down) http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/service_home.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=47&AudienceID=1

Human Capital http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/Service_Subsection.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=3&ServiceAreaPageID=88&AudienceID=1

Strategy and Ops http://careers.deloitte.com/united-states/students/Service_Subsection.aspx?FunctionID=11&ServiceAreaID=1&ServiceAreaPageID=301&AudienceID=1

Interesting. The thing is that many great companies have offices in Texas and most go to arguably the best MBA program in Texas, McCombs, to fill the spots in those offices or other regional offices.
Current Student
Schools: Texas '12

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career [#permalink] New post 23 May 2010, 18:50
lagomez wrote:
merkin wrote:

Interesting. The thing is that many great companies have offices in Texas and most go to arguably the best MBA program in Texas, McCombs, to fill the spots in those offices or other regional offices.

Thanks everyone,
These are all very insightful post that make my decision a little bit easier. After all this is why applied to UT to begin with. Texas has one of the few growing economies (I think 113 or so fortune 1000 companies are based there) and seems to be one of the big fish in the southwest.
Re: ND-Mendoza vs UT-McCombs for consulting career   [#permalink] 23 May 2010, 18:50