Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 20:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 16:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

50% (00:00) correct 50% (02:37) wrong based on 0 sessions
I was able to narrow down B & E because of the past tense meaning. I incorrectly selected E. The OG says "for facing" < "to face"...but I'd like to explore this further and my reasoning. I didn't see anything about this on e-gmat.

Aside from idiomatic reasons..."for facing" is a [for verb-ing] vs [to verb] modifier. I think of it as "for what" vs " in order to" - In choice B, the Neaderthals were equipped in order toface any obstacles in their path. This makes more sense meaning wise to me.

Is there parallelism in B between "to have been" and "to face"? I believe "to face" is a verb modifier...and I know a verb can't be parallel with a non verb, but I thought I'd ask if this help make B > E.

Thanks,
Al

Combining enormous physical strength with higher
intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for
facing any obstacle the environment could put in their
path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during
the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt
to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any
obstacle the environment could put in their path,

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Princeton Review Representative
Followers: 112

Kudos [?]: 169 [0], given: 0

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2013, 22:39
Expert's post
EasyAL43 wrote:
I was able to narrow down B & E because of the past tense meaning. I incorrectly selected E. The OG says "for facing" < "to face"...but I'd like to explore this further and my reasoning. I didn't see anything about this on e-gmat.

Aside from idiomatic reasons..."for facing" is a [for verb-ing] vs [to verb] modifier. I think of it as "for what" vs " in order to" - In choice B, the Neaderthals were equipped in order toface any obstacles in their path. This makes more sense meaning wise to me.

Is there parallelism in B between "to have been" and "to face"? I believe "to face" is a verb modifier...and I know a verb can't be parallel with a non verb, but I thought I'd ask if this help make B > E.

Thanks,
Al

Combining enormous physical strength with higher
intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for
facing any obstacle the environment could put in their
path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during
the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt
to some environmental change led to their extinction.

(B) appear to have been equipped to face any

(E) appeared to have been equipped for facing any

I would like to bring up a second difference:

That between appear and appeared. In the case of E appeared is in the past tense and does not match the present tense of indicates. For that reason I would choose B over E. To answer your question about idioms, I would rarely use equipped for... anything. the better idiom is equipped to do something.

Special offer! Save $250 on GMAT Ultimate Classroom, GMAT Small Group Instruction, or GMAT Liveonline when you use the promo code GCVERBAL250. Or, save $150 on GMAT Self-Prep when you use the code GCVERBAL150. Enroll at www.princetonreview.com

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 13:08
Expert's post

Hi Alexander,

Here goes the answer to your question:

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Neanderthals existed in the past. They do not exist anymore. But the way this sentence has been written, it suggests that they still exist. They “appear” as equipped…. This is the flaw in this sentence. We need a verb that suggests that Neanderthals are extinct.

Now let’s see the sentence with the correct answer choice:

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

This choice corrects the verb tense error in the original sentence. Verb phrase “appear to have been equipped” correctly suggests that Neanderthals when alive were equipped to face any environmental problem. They were equipped at that time.

If choice B were worded as “appear to be equipped to face…”, it would be incorrect because again it would convey the same meaning as Choice A.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 13:56
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear as equipped for facing any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

Neanderthals existed in the past. They do not exist anymore. But the way this sentence has been written, it suggests that they still exist. They “appear” as equipped…. This is the flaw in this sentence. We need a verb that suggests that Neanderthals are extinct.

Combining enormous physical strength with higher intelligence, the Neanderthals appear to have been equipped to face any obstacle the environment could put in their path, but their relatively sudden disappearance during the Paleolithic era indicates that an inability to adapt to some environmental change led to their extinction.

This choice corrects the verb tense error in the original sentence. Verb phrase “appear to have been equipped” correctly suggests that Neanderthals when alive were equipped to face any environmental problem. They were equipped at that time.

If choice B were worded as “appear to be equipped to face…”, it would be incorrect because again it would convey the same meaning as Choice A.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Thanks Shraddha...it does help. Can you comment on my question regarding:

..."for facing" is a [for verb-ing] vs [to verb] modifier. I think of it as "for what" vs " in order to" - In choice B, the Neaderthals were equipped in order toface any obstacles in their path
Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1276

Kudos [?]: 3590 [0], given: 185

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 14:07
Expert's post

Hi Alexander,

Yes, your analysis about "for verb-ing" and "to verb" is correct. The former shows some relation between the main verb and the "for verb-ing" while the latter is used to show the purpose of the previous action.

However, as I have already mentioned in my above post, even if in Choice B, use of "to face" is correct, it has a very glaring verb tense error. The verb tense error is graver than the "for verb-ing" Vs. "to verb". Hence, we reject Choice B right away.

Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Intern
Intern

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2013, 17:20
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Yes, your analysis about "for verb-ing" and "to verb" is correct. The former shows some relation between the main verb and the "for verb-ing" while the latter is used to show the purpose of the previous action.

However, as I have already mentioned in my above post, even if in Choice B, use of "to face" is correct, it has a very glaring verb tense error. The verb tense error is graver than the "for verb-ing" Vs. "to verb". Hence, we reject Choice B right away.

Thanks.
Shraddha

Another question from this example is about " perfect infinitive" after reading posts on the internal forum. I tried searching for the thread where you discuss it, because it was the first time I learned about it so far in the program. Could you post the link to that thread or any other articles about it? " It expresses events prior to the other main verb" is what I wrote done. It sounds similar to past perfect tense.

Thank you
Expert Post
BSchool Forum Moderator
Followers: 81

Kudos [?]: 544 [0], given: 105

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2013, 21:49
Expert's post
egmat wrote:

Hi Alexander,

Thanks.
Shraddha

Hi Shraddha,
Could you please explain why D is wrong? You've mentioned 'We need a verb that suggests that Neanderthals are extinct.', so per this, I think D also shows that 'Neanderthals are extinct'...!

Please explain.

UPDATED : e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays || NEW !!! GMAC's IR Prep Tool

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

KUDOS please, if you like the post or if it helps :-)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 27

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2014, 23:42
there are only two pattern with "appear"

it appear that he is good, "it" is a fake subject

sb/st appear to do/to have done.

that is all about "appear"

this is purely idiom problem and should be memorized

If anyone in this gmat forum is in England,Britain, pls, email to me, (thanghnvn@gmail.com) . I have some questions and need your advise. Thank a lot.

Re: Neaderthal appear as equipped...OG12 #73   [#permalink] 09 May 2014, 23:42