Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 07:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 17:26
BN1989 wrote:
How would you know what prompted the Spanish government though? I don't see why it wouldnt be possible that the UN actually prompted the Spanish government.

When in doubt go with the intent of original sentence. The original sentence correctly conveys that the UN didn't prompt the Spanish Government ; UN's action prompted the Spanish government.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 22:03
BN1989 wrote:
karun0109 wrote:
E. Modifier issue with A and C. B changes meaning. Left with D and E. D also changes the meaning and suggest that the united nations prompted the Spanish government when in fact the action of the United Nations to declare the Aqueduct to be a heritage of humanity is supposed to have prompted the Spanish government. Hence E.

How would you know what prompted the Spanish government though? I don't see why it wouldnt be possible that the UN actually prompted the Spanish government.

Interesting. I think you're right. It very well could be the case that the UN did both and I don't think the GMAT would have two clear, grammatically correct and concise option with different meanings. So looking back at D I think Shikhar pointed out that "declared to be" is incorrect usage. I don't know if it's incorrect but it sure is unnecessary when you could just say "declared" like in option E. So E would win out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 31

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:52
E is the best one using correct modifiers....!!

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 6

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2012, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
IMO E.....

prompting ... ing form of verb here means result of action of US
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 03 May 2012, 13:16
Hi,

i understand that E is clearly the best answer choice,
however, i dont understand why "had been deteriorating since ..." is in the right verb tense.
Why isn't present perfect used: "has been deteriorating since ..." (The action started in the past, but its effect is still relevant in the present.)

Is past perfect used because the sentence talks about 1985 and not the present?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 17

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 04:39
What is the difference between using to prompt and promting?
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1229

Kudos [?]: 3369 [1] , given: 181

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 04 May 2012, 08:32
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi All,

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.

It is VERY important to understand the intended meaning of the sentence to comprehend the use of certain modifiers and verb tenses in the sentences. Some usages have created confusion. So let’s get the meaning here. In 1985, some 2000 years after the construction of the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, the United Nations declared this monument a Heritage of Humanity.
Since the original sentence uses the word “prompting”, we know that the UN did not prompt the renovations. Moreover, it makes sense that the UN’s declaration prompted the Spanish government to renovate this monument. Before this declaration, the Spanish government paid no heed to this monument and that’s the reason why it had been deteriorating since its construction. It is only after the UN declared the monument a heritage that the Spanish government started the renovation and stopped its deterioration.

Now let’s evaluate the errors in the sentence.
1. Since the opening modifier says “Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction”, the subject of the following main clause should be the entity this modifier modifies. This modifier refers to “the Roman aqueduct of Segovia”. But the subject of the main clause is “the UN” and now the opening modifier is illogically modifying the UN. We have modifier error here.
2. Phrase “declared to be” is not idiomatic. The correct idiom is “declared X Y”. We have idiom error here.
PS: There is no issue with “had been deteriorating” because it is an action that started long back in the past. After the UN’s declaration in 1985, the Spanish Government started the renovation of the monument and this stopped its deterioration. So this action of deterioration has already been taken care of in the distant past.
@bugmenott: If we say the aqueduct "has been deteriorating", it will mean that the action of deterioration is still happening. This is not true because the renovation took care of the deterioration that had started happening since its construction more than 2000 years ago.

POE:

Choice A: Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating. Incorrect for the reasons stated above.

Choice B: Since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier, the Roman aqueduct of Segovia had been deteriorating, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations after the United Nations declared the aqueduct to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985. Incorrect.
• Firstly, coma + prompting is modifying the preceding clause, suggesting that the deterioration of the monument prompted the Spanish government to renovate the monument. This is not the intended meaning of the sentence.
• Secondly, it repeats the same idiom error as in Choice A.

Choice C: After being declared a Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations in 1985, the Spanish government began renovations on the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier. Incorrect.
• The opening modifier says “After being declared a Heritage of the Humanity…”. This modifier modifies the Roman aqueduct of Segovia that should be the subject of the following main clause. But the subject of the clause is “the Spanish government”. Hence we have a modifier error here.

Choice D: In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier. Incorrect.
• This choice also repeats the idiom of Choice A.
• This choice also changes the intended meaning of the sentence by saying that the UN “promoted” the Spanish government to renovate the aqueduct. From the logical intended meaning of the sentence, we know that it’s the UN’s declaration and the not the UN that prompted the renovation.

Choice E: In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier. Correct. This answer choice rectifies all the errors of the original choice and conveys the intended meaning clearly.

1. Modifiers and the entities they modify must be placed in such a way so that the modifiers modify the entities they are meant to modify.
2. We must use the correct idiom to maintain clarity and conciseness in the sentence.
3. We must be wary of answer choices that change the logical intended meaning of the sentence.

The use of verb+ing modifiers has been explained in details in the Modifier Verb-ing concept file in the preview level 1 concepts. Just register at http://www.e-gmat.com and learn this concept concept for free.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

Free Webinar: August 24, 2014 - Improve by 70 Points in 30 days: Register for this Free Webinar to learn how to define your strategy, analyze your mocks and improve by 70 points in 30 days. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 33

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 17:45
Bull78 wrote:
Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating.

Please your help

Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating. Incorrectly modifies The UN

Since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier, the Roman aqueduct of Segovia had been deteriorating, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations after the United Nations declared the aqueduct to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985. This one changes the meaning and also sounds like an awkward construction.

After being declared a Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations in 1985, the Spanish government began renovations on the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier. This incorrectly modifies Spanish Govt.

In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.

In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier

D and E are contenders. To pick out the correct AO, one should know the intended meaning.
According to D, UN declared and prompted the renovation. Wrong.
E, UN only "declared" and this declaration lead to the renovation. Hence the correct construction is declared ...., prompting .....

Encourage me by pressing the KUDOS if you find my post to be helpful.

Help me win "The One Thing You Wish You Knew - GMAT Club Contest"
the-one-thing-you-wish-you-knew-gmat-club-contest-140358.html#p1130989

Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 18

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 05 Jun 2012, 00:05
Bull78 wrote:

Since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier, the Roman aqueduct of Segovia had been deteriorating, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations after the United Nations declared the aqueduct to be a Heritage of Humanity in 1985.

After being declared a Heritage of Humanity by the United Nations in 1985, the Spanish government began renovations on the Roman aqueduct of Segovia, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.

In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier.

In 1985, the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct, which had been deteriorating since its initial construction nearly 2000 years earlier

Please your help

i pick E. A is out because of pronoun error. in A "its" cant be logically modified UN. B has modifier error, in B "prompting" cant be logically modified aqueduct. i think the intended meaning is changed in C. in D, "Declared" and "prompted" are two independent fact but logically 'prompting" is a consequence of the verb "Declared" so D is out.
correct me if i am wrong

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 62

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2012, 15:47
Came down to 'D' or 'E' and picked 'D' =(
I now understand why it is incorrect. I figured out what Karun0109 was saying about 'D' changing the meaning of the sentence. Thanks guys
SVP
SVP
Followers: 230

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Nearly 2000 years after its initial construction, the United [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 04:26
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2014, 04:27
DexDee wrote:
^ Another nagging difference between the sentences E and D: D says "the United Nations declared the Roman Aqueduct of Segovia to be a Heritage of Humanity and prompted the Spanish government", while E says "the United Nations declared the Roman aqueduct of Segovia a Heritage of Humanity, prompting the Spanish government to begin renovations on the aqueduct"

Is there a change in meaning here? As in the case of D, the UN has directly prompted the Spanish government to begin renovations. But in E, the act of declaring the Roman aqueduct a heritage prompted the Spanish government to take action. Does this subtle change speak against D? Or am I reading too much here? Please advice.

You are amazing .. You are reading just correct!!!
Re: Roman aqueduct of Segovia   [#permalink] 22 Feb 2014, 04:27