Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 19:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [1] , given: 109

Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 09:35
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

76% (01:46) correct 24% (00:58) wrong based on 50 sessions
Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been put into orbit around the Earth, and the chances of a collision involving such material increase greatly as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise.

A. as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise
B. as the rise continues in both the amount of satellites and space debris
C. as the amount of space debris and the number of satellites continue to rise
D. with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites
E. with the amount of space debris continuing to increase along with the number of satellites

I agree with the OA.
However, I have two doubts:
a) In D and E, what is wrong with "with"? Is there a change in meaning?
b) Is "amount of" always singular or does it depend on the noun that is acting as object of the preposition? (amount of xxxxx)

Thanks!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Nuclear-reactor [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 10:51
Expert's post
metallicafan wrote:
Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been put into orbit around the Earth, and the chances of a collision involving such material increase greatly as the amount of both space debris and satellites continue to rise.

D. with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites
E. with the amount of space debris continuing to increase along with the number of satellites

I agree with the OA.
b) Is "amount of" always singular or does it depend on the noun that is acting as object of the preposition? (amount of xxxxx)

Thanks!

Even at this level the sentence contains a bunch of things to deal with

So, here the meaning lead us to use as ( compare to action).

A) the amount of BOTH is wrong

B) in both the amount of........is ackward

C) Is clear and straight

The usage "amount of" depends on the context "amount of " or "amounts of"

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 68

Kudos [?]: 332 [1] , given: 109

Re: Nuclear-reactor [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
Carcass,
"As" is not being used here as a comparison indicator. There are SIX uses for AS. Be careful.
A and B are wrong, in part, because satellites are countable, but "amount" is for uncountable stuff.

Do your nickname refer to the metal band Carcass ;) ?

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 697

Re: Nuclear-reactor [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 11:19
Expert's post
metallicafan wrote:
Carcass,
"As" is not being used here as a comparison indicator. There are SIX uses for AS. Be careful.
A and B are wrong, in part, because satellites are countable, but "amount" is for uncountable stuff.

Do your nickname refer to the metal band Carcass ;) ?

Quote:
"Like" vs "As"
Like - used to compare two nouns.

e.g

Incorrect - Gita and Sita, as their mother Reema, are extremely smart.
Correct - Gita and Sita, like their mother Reema, are extremely smart.

As - used to compare two clauses. (A clause is a phrase that includes a verb).

Incorrect - Just like swimming is good exercise, running is a way to burn calories.
Correct - Just as swimming is good exercise, running is a way to burn calories.

Note : Do not use Like when you mean for example.

To simply a lot. In concrete this is the usage of Like VS As, if you keep in mind this is difficult to wrong aside the fact of SIX usage of AS (that is true, however).

..............and yup for the rest, of course :)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Manager
Manager
Status: SLOGGING : My son says,This time Papa u will have to make it : Innocence is BLISS
WE: Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 30

CAT Tests
Re: Nuclear-reactor [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 12:02
A. as the amount of both space debris and satellites...... : Amt of Satellites = Eliminated

B. ...........the amount of satellites and space debris : Amt of Satellites = Eliminated

D. with the continually increasing amount of space debris and the number of satellites : lets split the individual sections with the AND

with the continually inc amt of debris.........AND........with the continually increasing THE number of satellites = Does it not sound weird? Eliminated

E. the amount of space debris continuing to increase along with the number of satellites

Implies : The chances of collision increase WITH..... With what? The ans to this ? as stated in B

the amt of debris continuing to increase along with the no of satellites...... Along with WHAT of the no of satellites ?

Is it : the amt of debris continuing to increase along with the inc in no of satellites

OR

is it : the amt of debris continuing to increase along with the no of satellites continuing to increase

in both cases does it fall under the ambit of a sound construction/ does it make any structural sense : Eliminated

Left with C

C : as the amount of space debris and the number of satellites continue to rise

...........AS ( The amount of debris &The no of satellites ).......CONTINUE

............AS ( X & Y )........CONTINUE

.............AS ( X & Y BOTH= PLURAL )...........CONTINUE (PLURAL)

Leading to OA C, my understanding
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 08:58
why D is wrong? we need a clear reason to eliminate D.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Jones '15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 5

Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 09:57
metallicafan wrote:

I agree with the OA.

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with D and E in "with" but I think both option D and E are too wordy. If you have a better concise option choose that. So eliminate D and E and choose C.
BTW my choice of DC and other eliminations was based on countable and non-countable quantities. debris in non-countable so amount of is fine but satellites is countable so amount of is not correct. It should have number of next to it. SO eliminated A, B
Re: Nearly two tons of nuclear-reactor fuel have already been   [#permalink] 22 Nov 2012, 09:57