Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need 650 -- please help me

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 11

Need 650 -- please help me [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 09:47
Hi All,
Good day. hope your preparations are going on well. This is my first post after the horrible day when i took my GMAT for the first time on 29th march 2012. 6 months have passed since the pathetic day ....

Got horrible score of 470 (Q 35 ;V 21; AWA 6) which no student would have ever thought of in their wildest of dreams. I have prepared for an year (year 2011 in full) or so and still could not get any good score. I had all of the best materials (OG, MGMAT 8 GUIDES, other books) but still i could nt make it. I took Princeton review coaching too for 3 months.

On the test day the questions in verbal seemed very tough and i was of the opinion that i am cracking a lot, but when the score appeared i was completely down. Quants is a eternal problem for me and i concentrated all the effort in improving maths, but still that day i managed to get through a very low score but quit high for my standards of maths. i know the rest of the world would laugh at me for these scores...

Right now i am preparing for other small exams which will get over in November 2012 and i want to take TOEFL immediately in December 2012 first week, post which i plan to retake my GMAT exam (2nd attempt) and take the exam in fag end of April 2013 with 5 months of preparation. (Dec 12- Apr 13)

All i need is a score of "630 - 650" and every mark above that is a blessing...

Have lost all my energy and now i am slowly recouping it and it will take some more time. Request expert guidance in terms of CORRECT/PROPER material to prepare and the way to go in 5 months of time.

In a way my maths score was quiet decent as i practiced a lot of questions from GMAT CLUB DIRECTORIES, but many a times sub 500 level questions were also tough to crack... Verbal seemed to be biggest problem. I thought i could manage it but fumbled. i did NOT use E-gmat etc etc.... for verbal preparation. i prepared extensively in GROCKIT.com (it gave me good round of practice questions) in Verbal and Quants...but that day it did nt go well at all.

i understand the fact that ONE SIZE DOES NT FIT for all, but nevertheless need some guidance to see some light at the end of the tunnel
Request your advice to crack this time ...

Awaiting your revert eagerly

regards
eshwar

regards
eshwar

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 133

Kudos [?]: 241 [0], given: 10

Re: Need 650 -- please help me [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2012, 23:37
Expert's post
What are you having the most trouble with in each section? Is your timing going well? How about Data Sufficiency? Are you comfortable with that format & related strategies? Provide more details and I can give more focused advice.

Also, take a look at my recent post on improving RC. In particular, look at the last part--reviewing. How thoroughly are you reviewing your work? In verbal, are you able to identify why each answer is right or wrong? This kind of review work is much more important than finding more materials. You need to understand the materials you have, and develop the ability to approach 500-600 level problems of any type calmly and consistently.
how-to-get-good-score-in-rc-140302.html#p1130769

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1152

Kudos [?]: 5350 [0], given: 165

Re: Need 650 -- please help me [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2012, 21:51
Expert's post
pappueshwar wrote:
Hi All,
Good day. hope your preparations are going on well. This is my first post after the horrible day when i took my GMAT for the first time on 29th march 2012. 6 months have passed since the pathetic day ....

Got horrible score of 470 (Q 35 ;V 21; AWA 6) which no student would have ever thought of in their wildest of dreams. I have prepared for an year (year 2011 in full) or so and still could not get any good score. I had all of the best materials (OG, MGMAT 8 GUIDES, other books) but still i could nt make it. I took Princeton review coaching too for 3 months.

On the test day the questions in verbal seemed very tough and i was of the opinion that i am cracking a lot, but when the score appeared i was completely down. Quants is a eternal problem for me and i concentrated all the effort in improving maths, but still that day i managed to get through a very low score but quit high for my standards of maths. i know the rest of the world would laugh at me for these scores...

Right now i am preparing for other small exams which will get over in November 2012 and i want to take TOEFL immediately in December 2012 first week, post which i plan to retake my GMAT exam (2nd attempt) and take the exam in fag end of April 2013 with 5 months of preparation. (Dec 12- Apr 13)

All i need is a score of "630 - 650" and every mark above that is a blessing...

Have lost all my energy and now i am slowly recouping it and it will take some more time. Request expert guidance in terms of CORRECT/PROPER material to prepare and the way to go in 5 months of time.

In a way my maths score was quiet decent as i practiced a lot of questions from GMAT CLUB DIRECTORIES, but many a times sub 500 level questions were also tough to crack... Verbal seemed to be biggest problem. I thought i could manage it but fumbled. i did NOT use E-gmat etc etc.... for verbal preparation. i prepared extensively in GROCKIT.com (it gave me good round of practice questions) in Verbal and Quants...but that day it did nt go well at all.

i understand the fact that ONE SIZE DOES NT FIT for all, but nevertheless need some guidance to see some light at the end of the tunnel
Request your advice to crack this time ...

Awaiting your revert eagerly

regards
eshwar

No amount of material will ensure a great test day score. It is what you do with the material that counts. I believe that test prep material of most companies is good enough to take you to 600 - 650. At higher levels, there are certainly quite a few differences in our approaches and hence in our results.

If you did not get the desired score after a year of hard work, there is certainly something wrong with your approach. You are missing something and from your post, I guess it is this: working on 100 questions a day is worthless if you don't go back and put in 10 mins in reviewing each one of those questions.

In my opinion, your strategy going forward should be something like this: Go through one complete set of material. Do not gloss over things that you do not understand - put in the time and energy to understand it. Move on to the next page only when this page is crystal clear. If you don't get something refer another book/internet/a forum etc or get someone to help you - class/private tutor/friend. Every subsequent page builds on the previous page so if you skip one concept, you are skipping lots of subsequent concepts too. Once you finish one topic, work on an exercise/assignment based solely on that topic (The Veritas topic assignments have 30 - 40 questions each and I feel they help the students a lot). After a month and a half of covering various topics, take a mock test. Your aim should be above 80% accuracy on the topics you have covered so far. In the last 1.5 months, practice a few questions of every topic very thoroughly every day e.g. take a mock test on Monday and review it on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. (Go through every question, jot down the new concepts you have come across etc). For the rest of the week, practice questions based on the new concepts and the weaknesses that the mock helped you identify. Next Monday, take a mock again and so on...

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need 650 -- please help me   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2012, 21:51