Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a gameplan to go from 600 to 750 +...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need a gameplan to go from 600 to 750 +... [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 19:08
I recently gave the GMAT after couple months of preparation...scored 600 :-( I am extremely disappointed in myself...

I come here for advice from the Gurus who have cracked the GMAT...Please help me with a game plan to improve my score to 750+ plus...I have set myself a target date to give the test again, 5 weeks from now.

Here is my split scores : V 31/61% and Q 42/67%

I just purchased the Challenge package to work on my Quant....What is the best plan to improve my score....?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 19:39
Hey nono - looks like you and I are in the same boat. I just scored about the same as you (Q42,V31 -- 610) after studying really hard for a couple months. Really disappointing score, especially since I was doing quite well during my practice.

I'm aiming to top 730+ and my weakness is Verbal too. This is what I am going to try to get my score really up there:

Quant: I'm going to do all of the gmatclub Challenges and REALLY take the time to understand why I'm missing problems. I made the mistake of taking a few minutes to answer a question, get it wrong, look up the explanation, slap myself for being so stupid, and then just moving on to the next problem. This time around I'm going to really work out how to answer these questions without help...even if it takes 20 minutes to do so on a single problem. The timing for me is not a problem - it's a matter of not knowing how to answer the questions. I also have the OG Quant workbook with another 300 questions to practice with. I think that approach, along with the Challenges should be able to put my Quant score to 47+.

Verbal: Our weakest links and obviously the place for the most improvement. I'm not totally sure on how to improve my verbal from a 31 to 42+ so if you have any ideas/suggestions i'm all ears. For me, I got my hands on the Manhattan SC guide and I plan on going through that along with the OG10 questions that it refers to. I also plan on taking a crack at the SC/CR/RC 1000 sets available from this site for more steady practice. I also have the OG Verbal workbook that gives another 300 official questions that I plan on going through for more practice.

I have 1 GMATPrep exam left and 2 of the older PowerPrep tests that I haven't taken yet. I'm gonna space those out to measure my progress, but I'm really gonna hold off a while, until I really put in some time with the Challenges and the SC guide and OG10 questions that it refers to.

Let's keep in touch because we can conquer this beast I know it. I just took my exam 2 days ago so I'm gonna chill for aobut a week and then I'll get back into the swing of things.

When are you planning to take it again? How much time can you put in per week? I will not sign up until I feel prepared. As for the time I put in, I can put in a good 20-25+ hours per week.

Edit: I just re-read your post and saw that you plan on taking it again in 5 weeks. If you MUST take it in 5 weeks then you have to do what you have to do. If you have the time then perhaps take it when you're ready. Keep me posted on what you do...
Manager
Manager

600 to 700........ [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 19:52
eom

Last edited by mlchang616 on 17 Apr 2007, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

600 to 700........ [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 19:52
I recently just took my gmat. after about 3 months of preperation, i came away with a 600 Q47, V27....I was not a happy camper after having spent 3 months. Now, i'm debating whether it makes any sense to hunker down for another 3 weeks and go head to head with the test again or to just take my time and really focus on the verbal.

The odd part for me was that math was quite simple and straightforward. I didn't have a whole lot of trouble answering the questions. The verbal was a bit different and I knew something was up when I was up to question 10 and didn't even see a "BOLD" CR question. Needless to say, my score was a disappointment.

Any killer strategy out there to help the folks in the 600 club move up to the 700 club?
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 19:55
Almost the exact same case here :)

I took the GMAT once and scored a dissappointing 600 [Q 48, V 25]
Clearly my verbal is the weakest link as with you two guys, but a lot worse :( . I am working aggressively on my verbal skills using this forum, the OG, and MGMAT SC.

I also plan to purchase the challenges to raise the bar for my Q score from the 48 to 50 or 51 if possible. I'm getting alot better at the CR and my SC is not nearly as bad as it was when I took the GMAT the first time.

By the way, I'm planning to take the GMAT in about 5 weeks to 8 weeks.
Manager
Manager

ANy of you have solutions to the 1000 SC problems? [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 20:31
I have a copy of the 1000 SC problems but without the solution. Do you know where I might find the solutions on gmatclub? Is it even here?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2007, 20:58
It's always nice to know there are others going through the same shit haha. Just reading these forums helps a lot. But for the few of us right now, we all seem to be in the same boat more or less.

As for the answer key to the SC 1000 - I'll keep my eyes open for it and if I come across it I'll post it. I'm sure it's around here somewhere...

I think all of us could go in there and take the test again today and score a good 50 points higher w/o putting too much more effort in. I honestly think nerves plays a huge part, especially during your first attempt. So don't get discouraged bc knowing that you guys are feeling the same thing that I am right now is really reassuring - we're gonna beat this bastard eventually! :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 09:05
The answer to the 1000SC is available in the same question itself. Ont hing you have to do is click the button as per the attached figure.

All the best...!!!!

All the best for your efforts and i am sure that you guys will make it up.
Attachments

show-hide.JPG
show-hide.JPG [ 20.95 KiB | Viewed 1165 times ]

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 10:47
My plan at this point :

improve my score at the rate of 30points/week...at the end of 5 weeks i will have to hit the 750+ target.

as i see it, all of us have scope to improve (better to best) in every question type...i am pretty confident/comfortable with the question format and related concepts/principles...

i took my GMAT couple weeks...i took a good 1 week break and started with preparation again this week ...

plan is to quickly browse through the strategies and spend 75% of my prep time on practice...i plan to spend 3hrs every weekday and 5hrs on weekends..~ 20-25 hrs every weeks...stick to the ~100hr plan

for CR and RC : I am going use OG and LSAT books, Kaplan800
for Quant: GMATclub challenges and Manhattan Challenges, Kaplan800
for SC : revise on Manhattan SC book, OG,Kaplan800

and review strategies from all the prep material every material...

I have ordered the testdayscratch's gmat scratch too...

If I do not hit my target as planned,...I will reschedule...

I am open for any advice...and would love to have some study partners..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 17:50
i've used a lot of similar materials (shoot, i'll try anything to get the score i need!) but one set of materials you've overlooked is manhattan review's guides. really underrated material and very thorough. check em out and if you don't like it i'll shut up.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 600 Q42 V31
GPA: 3.5

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need a gameplan to go from 600 to 750 +... [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2012, 01:28
This post received
KUDOS
My Weakness is Verbal too .. esp SC :(
Re: Need a gameplan to go from 600 to 750 +...   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2012, 01:28