Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 08:29
Hi guys,

I need some help with the verbal section of the GMAT. I request the experts to pls provide some inputs.

On my first attempt i got 570 (V-22, 23 percentile; Q- 47; AWM: 5). I did very bad on the verbal section as you all can see from my V - score. :(

Books refered:

Princeton
Kaplan
Kaplan 800
OG & OG - V (both 11th edition)

Prep Test scores (In serial Order):

GMAT Prep 1: 550 (Q - 44; V - 21)
Power Prep 1: 560 (Q - 47; V - 21)
Kaplan: 540 (Q - 37; V - 23)
Princeton 1: 590 (Q - 44; V: 28)
Princeton 2: 610 (Q - 44; V: 30)
GMAT Prep 2: 690 (Q - 49; V - 35)
Power Prep 2: 730 (Q - 48; V - 42) -- Ended my prep on a high note. 10 days before the real GMAT.

Real GMAT: 570 (Q - 47; V - 22) :( -- Biggest disappointment. I thought i was ready for the real test but it back-fired.

I am retaking GMAT on 14 July this year and i want to give more emphasis on verbal section. I want to increase the verbal score by 12-15 i.e. My target for Verbal section is minimum 34.
I am sure that if i get 32 or 34 in verbal section i will end up with a much more respectable total (around 700+).

I am confident in Quant. My target for quant, this time, is 49-50.
Main problem is with Verbal section as my performance is not constant on this section.

As per my analysis of first attempt of GMAT, I have found the following problems:

> Speed: From the very start, I was very slow in the verbal section. I was taking more than the stipulated 1 min 50 sec per question because I founld the staring question to be some what difficult and i wanted to get the first 10 question right. I guess this didnt happen.

> Stamina: I was exhausted by the time i reached the verbal section. During my prep, i took 2-3 full length tests to buid up stamina for the test and i did quiet well on those tests.

> Concepts: Towards the end of my preparation i started solving questions from GMAT Sets and 1000 series. This was my biggest mistake. These sources are not reliable and even the answers are wrong. I started reading the explanation on forums and this made me even more confused.

By the time the D day came i was all confused. I was strugling with almost all the question.

On the test, RC passages were very tough. Got some 4-5 passages. I was prepared for 3. Time was running out for me. So i had to make a few random guesses to complete the test. I couldnt confirm the answer to the last question. I know completing the test is important but time just finished before i could mark the last answer.

In short,
My main problem is Verbal section, Speed and Accuracy. (I know nothing left)

In the end, I request the experts to give some of their valuable suggestions so that i can prepare well enough to get 32-34 in Verbal.

Also, I am planning to but the online test series of Manhattan GMAT as i am running out of prep material. Any suggestion on this?

P.S: I have kept track of all the errors on verbal section during my prep but it doesn't make much sense to me because my performance on verbal section is not constant as it is on the Quant section. I know this is strange but it is true.

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [1] , given: 14

Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
mbaMission wrote:
On the test, RC passages were very tough. Got some 4-5 passages. I was prepared for 3. Time was running out for me. So i had to make a few random guesses to complete the test.

You probably had 4 RC passages, yes they know to be tough so it seems there's 17 of them, at least to me, especially on my first GMAT attempt. I took GMAT four times and had 4 RC passages each time.

Taking GMATprep on numerous occasions, I've sptted the pattern in RC appearing. Also, I confirmed this in my real GMAT attempts. In 95% cases, there will be 4 passages in Verbal section. Almost always they appear in the middle of the decade. For example, the first will appear somewhere between 4th and 7th question, second between 14th and 17th and so on (with +/- 1-2 questions).

When you are aware of this pattern, test itself puts much weaker pressure on you. You are almost "waiting" and anticipating next RC to appear instead to be affraid of it. That way I also got rid of the ugly habbit of non-stop staring into the watch. That way, I was able to do more effective pacing and answer each question.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 2

Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 10:27
Pathfinder_77 wrote:
mbaMission wrote:
On the test, RC passages were very tough. Got some 4-5 passages. I was prepared for 3. Time was running out for me. So i had to make a few random guesses to complete the test.

You probably had 4 RC passages, yes they know to be tough so it seems there's 17 of them, at least to me, especially on my first GMAT attempt. I took GMAT four times and had 4 RC passages each time.

Taking GMATprep on numerous occasions, I've sptted the pattern in RC appearing. Also, I confirmed this in my real GMAT attempts. In 95% cases, there will be 4 passages in Verbal section. Almost always they appear in the middle of the decade. For example, the first will appear somewhere between 4th and 7th question, second between 14th and 17th and so on (with +/- 1-2 questions).

When you are aware of this pattern, test itself puts much weaker pressure on you. You are almost "waiting" and anticipating next RC to appear instead to be affraid of it. That way I also got rid of the ugly habbit of non-stop staring into the watch. That way, I was able to do more effective pacing and answer each question.

Yes i agree. I too faced the same thing. Pathfinder_77 good observation.

Though, It is possible to get first question from RC.
I hope not to see RC in first 5.

Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who

GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 14

Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 11:39
Quote:
Though, It is possible to get first question from RC.
I hope not to see RC in first 5.

It's possible, definitely. However, such pattern is very rare. That's the reason I avoid using terms like "always" and "never" :) Surprises on GMAT happen occasionaly, so caution is necessary.

What I described overhere is "normal pattern", normal to some extent. It is expected that there will be 4 passages with 3-4 questions each, normally sequenced throughout the Verbal section.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2323

Kudos [?]: 9400 [0], given: 3697

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 29 May 2009, 15:24
Expert's post
There are two fronts you can attack Verbal section:

1. Using specialized Verbal books such as PowerScore SC or Manhattan CR or Manhattan RC
2. Reading a dozen of fiction books (GMAT Fiction) (I assume English is not your native language or strength based on your scores)

If you have not considered, take a look at my post on GMAT fiction - I attribute my V42 (96th percentile at the day of) to that, and I am a non-native speaker.
As one of the people who asked me for advice said - what's the worst thing that can happen - I will read a lot of books and enjoy doing it that, so why not?

Fiction will get your proper English skills up (not Hollywood slang or internet blabber), will get your vocabulary built up, and train you how to read. Many of us have skipped on reading in High school and college, but it is time to pay the debt....

Bottom line: You can NOT do Reading Comprehension without READING - shocking but true.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 15

Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT [#permalink] New post 30 May 2009, 08:43
bb wrote:

Bottom line: You can NOT do Reading Comprehension without READING - shocking but true.

This statement is truely a "GMAT FACT" not "GMAT MYTH" :)
Re: Need a help with the verbal section of GMAT   [#permalink] 30 May 2009, 08:43