Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 20:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a kick in the ass... Or a pat on the back.. Something..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need a kick in the ass... Or a pat on the back.. Something.. [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 14:16
I took my GMAT for the second time two weeks ago and scored 480 (30Q,26V). I studied for a solid month to get there. The one school I really want to get into requires a minimum of 550. I've three weeks before I take it again. I'm having a little trouble getting motivated. I don't want to do it in vain. They implied that I would be accepted if I at least meet the minimum. I think where I'm getting stuck is how best effectively and efficiently to achieve what I'm after. I had a PR tutor for those four weeks and devoted myself thoroughly but it didn't get me where I needed to be. I realize most people take at least two months or longer to prepare for this exam. I'm not shooting for the stars I just want to get things done. Verbal seems to be where I'm in some sort of quagmire... My quant can improve but I'm unsure as to how much. I hope I'm not being vague I'm just in search of perhaps some motivating guidance.

Cheers,

Laurence
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need a kick in the ass... Or a pat on the back.. Somethi [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 16:11
stereomc wrote:
I took my GMAT for the second time two weeks ago and scored 480 (30Q,26V). I studied for a solid month to get there. The one school I really want to get into requires a minimum of 550. I've three weeks before I take it again. I'm having a little trouble getting motivated. I don't want to do it in vain. They implied that I would be accepted if I at least meet the minimum. I think where I'm getting stuck is how best effectively and efficiently to achieve what I'm after. I had a PR tutor for those four weeks and devoted myself thoroughly but it didn't get me where I needed to be. I realize most people take at least two months or longer to prepare for this exam. I'm not shooting for the stars I just want to get things done. Verbal seems to be where I'm in some sort of quagmire... My quant can improve but I'm unsure as to how much. I hope I'm not being vague I'm just in search of perhaps some motivating guidance.

Cheers,

Laurence

ah. that's pity but you can do something different now.
since you do not have sufficient time to prep on your own to get to 550 you may want to find a math instructor from mgmat. you said verbal is the potential score, so try to improve ur Q. at least 40.
good luck
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 18:08
Thanks for the advice... I'll get on it...

I absolutely open to suggestions if anyone else has anything to contribute

Cheers,

Laurence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 18:57
Laurence, this probably doesn't make sense, but I think you should focus on verbal. It's easier to improve in what you do worst.

For example, it's easier to improve when you get 2 correct answers out of 10, compared to when you are get 9 out of 10. To improve that extra 10% wil take longer than to improve, let's say, 40% (in the first scenario).

So I would concentrate on verbal (without overlooking quant). Go through your preps, books, anything you have answered and see what are your weaknesses. Be honest with yourself.

When you know what's going on, seek help for those specific areas to get the right material. I would strongly advice to do it fast (Maybe needless to say).

In my case, SC is/was the worst out of all 5 things tested. It took me 5 days to fully memorize everything in the MGMAT SC (except for idioms, which I rather do slowly).

It would also help to know how much time you are studying a day. What materials you have.

If I were you. I would also see if there's any chance I could delay the test. The more time you have, the better. That would ease some of the stress you are feeling right now.

Finally, keep it up. Worst thing you can do is let GMAT beat you. You'll do it! Just committ to it.

I hope this helps and let us know how you do. There's a lot of people out here you know the GMAT inside and out.

Good luck!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 19:07
Oh! and by the way, I would do better with the kick... :-D
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2007, 19:11
Wow... Thanks so much for the detailed response... I've been doing some evaluations and I think I may be able to give myself a full four weeks. Beyond that I think I would be at risk of missing the deadline. I'm going to school in Australia and I've to have a confirmation letter before I can apply for a student visa. I've been accepted to one school already so that does alleviate some stress. The school I really want to go to (AGSM) is the sole reason I'm putting this much energy into taking the test once more. I'm certain I can do it. I think what frustrates me is that I don't think it should be that hard to hit the bleedin' 550, yet here I am. Anyhow, thanks for the input.. I'll put it to use.

Cheers,

Laurence
  [#permalink] 14 Nov 2007, 19:11