Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 03:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a little advice on prep materials

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 11:48
I am new to this forum and I have to say I am pretty impressed with the quality of the information, I've looked around for about 2 or 3 hrs before signing up. This will probably be a question that has been asked before but I wanted to get an answer for my specific situation.

So I am looking to go to qrad school like many people taking the GMAT, however I am a little worried about what study material to choose. I've taken pre-calc and discrete math and received B's in them both. Here is where it get crazy, when I was in high school I never cared about math and because of that I never learned the basic stuff like Geometry formulas, number properties, developing algebraic equations for world problems, basically highschool level math. When I got into college I was taught college algebra, mainly dealing with functions, how was I able to get this far in college math you might ask? I am the type of who learns based on their environment. If I was put into a calc 1 class I could learn a lot of things just for that class, if I was put into a discrete math like I was I can learn how that class and the material works. I want to point out that my way of learning I don't particularly like but it is what it.

What I am looking is a set of GMAT prep books that will help me learn the structure of the GMAT, give well written explanations so I know what it is I did wrong and why the answer is what it, I need something for first time GMAT takes. What I don't want is a book that provide shortcuts, I've taken enough of those in high school and when I got to college I changed for the better and I don't want to go back every again.

I've become a little overwhelm with sheer number of prep books out there and since I have 3 1/2 months to prepare I want to do it right. I am worried more about the math than the verbal and my goal score is 600-650+.

All I have so far for my first book is Kaplan GMAT 2011 Premier with CD-ROM (Kaplan Gmat Premier Live) [Paperback]
I was thinking about some of the MGMAT books, but I don't know what I need, Is the MGMAT(quant) books just for in-depth explanations of how to solve the types of problem you will face? Cause I was just going to get those(5 quant) book along with the OG review 12 edition. As of right now I don't plan on study as hardcore for the verbal as I will for the quant section but I still want a decent book verbal study book, so what book could I get if for verbal? keep in mind my first language is English. I want well in-depth books, no shortcut books or improve best possible guest stuff.

I have not taken any practice test yet so I don't know what I stand, but I would probably say I need a LOT of work. Sorry for the rant and thanks for everyone's time.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 12:22
Welcome to the club. Hope and wish you will enjoy the learning.

Here are some links which will help you in deciding the prep books

best-gmat-books-77703.html

GMAT Verbal books

best-gmat-verbal-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-78094.html

GMAT Math books

best-gmat-math-prep-books-reviews-recommendations-77291.html

Hope this will help.

I don't want kudos.. I want to see smile on your face if I am able to help you.. which is priceless.

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 12:57
First off,thanks for the response and your time. I was looking for more of recommendations for the specific situation I mention. As I am probably in the category of needing LOTS of practice, which won't do me any good if I don't have explanations that help the "thickest minded" of people. I was told that the Official GMAT review guide and the kaplan GMAT primer w/CD would server me well, not sure though. Like I mention I was thinking about the MGMAT(5 quant book) with the official GMAT review 12ed.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Alpha Psi Omega
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 650 Q42 V37
GRE 1: 1310 Q630 V680
GPA: 3.16

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 14

Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:07
If you feel that you are the thick-headed type, sign up for a course led by an instructor.

Did I help you? Please give me kudos.

Each moment of time ought to be put to proper use, either in business, in improving the mind, in the innocent and necessary relaxations and entertainments of life, or in the care of the moral and religious part of our nature.

-William Andrus Alcott

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2010, 14:18
rockzom wrote:
If you feel that you are the thick-headed type, sign up for a course led by an instructor.

Yeah I might have implied that I might be "thick headed" but I assure I am not. That was just an example of what type of books I am looking for. Beside, I heard those courses are a waste of time as well as money anyway hence the reason for the books instead.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 10:41
I'm not sure "thick headed" is the right phrase.

Some folks need a bit of instruction, some do not.

If self studying is not working, it might be worth it to look into taking a class. I took a class and after the class figured out I did not need the class, BUT the class was what helped me figure out how to overcome certain obstacles. It's possible I would have done that on my own.

Regardless of how much practice you need, maintaining an error log is what will get you through this task. BLindly studying/blindly doing problems will get you no where.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a little advice on prep materials [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2010, 11:16
mohater wrote:
I'm not sure "thick headed" is the right phrase.

Some folks need a bit of instruction, some do not.

If self studying is not working, it might be worth it to look into taking a class. I took a class and after the class figured out I did not need the class, BUT the class was what helped me figure out how to overcome certain obstacles. It's possible I would have done that on my own.

Regardless of how much practice you need, maintaining an error log is what will get you through this task. BLindly studying/blindly doing problems will get you no where.

Yeah you probably right, I apologize for that wrong phrase. You've been through this so you know more than I do that for sure. Let me take a look around on that error log link and if I have some questions I'll posted back. In the mean time can you recommend some prep books for my specific needs/goals. Thanks for your response and time.
Re: Need a little advice on prep materials   [#permalink] 17 Nov 2010, 11:16