Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 13:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 05:44
So after a year of scattered studying and one test postponement I finally pulled the trigger and took the GMAT. Unfortunately, I scored 570. Immediately after seeing the score I wasn't shocked, sad, or mad - I just felt a little numb and told myself "it is what it is". Honestly it felt great to finally get a huge pressure off my chest as I told myself I want to take the GMAT almost 2 years ago.

However, I am by no means content with the score I received and am looking to score in the high 600s for my next test and dare I say break 700.

The study materials I used were: Knewton on demand courses, the Manhattan GMAT 8 set guides. For practice, I used the OG 11/OG12 and the supplemental and verbal guides.

Practice test scores:
GMATPrepv1: 670
GMATPrepV1: 690

I am reaching out to the GMATClub community for some advice and feedback. What do I do now?
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 05:58
Practice test scores:

where those retakes? if not, I would suggest taking the exam again in 30 days since you scored 100+ points less than the official practice exams.

I would go over the basics and make sure you master them. Also, I would work on timing and accuracy. Use OG-12 and a stopwatch and do 10-20 problems at a time. After you finish the problems (within your goal time... <2min and <1.75 min for quant verbal respectively), compare your solutions to the solutions that the OG provides. Try to identify either areas where you are carrying out redundant/unnecessary calculations (i.e., short cuts) or problems where you consistently make mistakes (e.g., not reading the problem correctly). remember, it's important to practice under time constraints.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton '15, CBS '15
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 10

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 06:15
you mentioned scaterred studying... when were the prep tests taken?

I think the key is to study consistently for about 2-3 months and take the exam. I understand that life gets in the way but it is the one trait all 700 scorers have in common.

Reward wisdom with kudos

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 06:27
dav35 wrote:
Practice test scores:

where those retakes? if not, I would suggest taking the exam again in 30 days since you scored 100+ points less than the official practice exams.

I would go over the basics and make sure you master them. Also, I would work on timing and accuracy. Use OG-12 and a stopwatch and do 10-20 problems at a time. After you finish the problems (within your goal time... <2min and <1.75 min for quant verbal respectively), compare your solutions to the solutions that the OG provides. Try to identify either areas where you are carrying out redundant/unnecessary calculations (i.e., short cuts) or problems where you consistently make mistakes (e.g., not reading the problem correctly). remember, it's important to practice under time constraints.

I am honestly thinking about starting from scratch and re-reading all the Manhattan GMAT books again and trying to master the material. I suspect I am lacking a solid foundation in the quant fundamentals and verbal fundamentals.

Do you think 30 days is enough to start from the beginning?

Regarding the Practice Tests:

Actually I left off some info, I also took some Knewton tests:

Knewton 1 (diagnostic): 510
Knewton 2 (after some months of studying): 590

Then I started doing timed questions and scored:

GMATPrep1: 670.
GMATPrep1 (second time):690

wallstreetbarbie wrote:
you mentioned scaterred studying... when were the prep tests taken?

I think the key is to study consistently for about 2-3 months and take the exam. I understand that life gets in the way but it is the one trait all 700 scorers have in common.

The prep tests were taken in the final 3-4 weeks before the exam. Right now I'm not sure how much time to give myself to dedicate to relearning everything before I schedule another test date?

Is it wise to try to get a test date before the June 5 test change? I don't want to learn a whole new section...
Intern
Intern

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 04:57
Any one else? Please feel free to donate your two cents. Much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
Schools: USC, UCLA

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 21:59
I'm in the same boat I scored a 580. I schedule my test date for May 25th, but I'm thinking I need to postpone it because I'm only on book 4 of the Manhattan prep guide and have 5 weeks to go w/ 5.5 books to read and actually practice.

I don't know what to do either.. :|
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 286 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2012, 22:25
Don't book a test date right away. First you got to turn ur weakness to ur strength, and after possessing the right type of arsenal for the GMAT beast. go for the kill.
Till then , keep practising.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2012, 05:06
I feel in a similar position - have sat the GMAT twice in the last 6 months and went from 530 to 590.

I can get a decent score on verbal without breaking a sweat or spending any time studying it (usually V41, 93%), but i'm having to build up the quant skills from scratch (still only scoring around Q31; 33%).

Finished going through OG12 - each question timed and understanding the answers. Then went through all the questions I got wrong again.

Was booked in for a test tomorrow (24th April), but just scored 600 on GMATprep1 (Q32, V41) so am not going to bother. I need the next score to come it at 660 ish to justify the re-sits and show progression. Have another exam booked for 29th May, so it's 1 month to go until they change the exam structure - for me it's last chance saloon.

The main thing i've found is that the actual GMAT quant questions are quite different to those in the OG. I guess the OG starts at a basic level to make it accessible. Anyway, I'm going to purchase the MGMAT "Quantitative Prep Set" and work through that. You also get 6 test exams, which are supposed to be at a tricky level. My theory is that if I can get my head around the MGMAT q's, I will not look at the actual GMAT ones and panic, which is basically what happens now.

For verbal, I'm pretty sure I could crank it up to 99%th if I have time to work out which q's i'm slipping up on.

I think confidence is everything with this exam - I look at the verbal, enjoying reading through the questions and really don't stress about whether the answer is definitely right (because I know i'm probably going to be ok). Whereas on quant i'm staring down a 1000ft pitch black mine shaft!

Don't know if any of that helps / resonates... Also interested to hear any more experienced views.

H
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford '15
GMAT 1: 640 Q V
GMAT 2: 760 Q V

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 11:51
How's your timing on the exam? Were you rushing toward the end? Making guesses at the end? Timing is probably the single most important factor on the GMAT. Practice will get you into the habit of sticking to a good speed on the exam.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Nonprofit, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northeastern (A)
GMAT 1: 550 Q26 V36
GPA: 2.89
WE: Real Estate (Non-Profit and Government)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 25 Apr 2012, 14:48
My first exam back in March ... I don't think I was well prepared. Got a 550 (run out of time on Math ... spent too much time on question #2 ... stilly mistake!). Already admitted to Northeastern ... thank God for my recommendation letters because I doubt I'd get in otherwise.

I'm retaking ... even if I don't apply anywhere else. At least so that I don't go on with my life and keep wondering in the back of my head, thinking I knew I could do better ... and why the hell did I not try?
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 288

Kudos [?]: 656 [0], given: 6

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2012, 07:54
Expert's post
Before you saw your score but after you finished the exam - how did you feel you did? Was it similar to how you felt on your practice tests that you get high 600s on?

In this situation, you should probably consider a retake. If there's anything that caught you off guard on the actual exam - take note and revisit that area. Rest a little if you need to. Then get back in it and keep your positivity up. Remember to try to mimick exam like conditions as best you can when you study.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :( [#permalink] New post 02 May 2012, 08:55
After a one month vacation from anything GMAT, I am starting up my studies again. I may apply to Baruch PT, NYU Stern PT/FT and GWU Olin FT, but won't get my hopes up.

Anyway, I am reaching out to the GMATClub community for advice on a 30-60 day plan to beat the beast that is the GMAT.

Cheers, bunsu
Re: Need a new study plan. Scored a 570 :(   [#permalink] 02 May 2012, 08:55