Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 21:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 23:03
I need your help! Please help evaluate my profile. I just took my GMAT today and received a 590 score, I'm frankly a little disappointed. I was hoping to get high enough score to apply to UCLA FEMBA, USC PM or any top 20 school, but unfortunately my score only allows for USC PM.

Thank you in advance for taking a look at my profile, if you have suggestions of other top tier schools that you think I would have a shot with or you have heard of admission success stories with low GPA please share. Any words of encouragement is greatly appreciated at this point.

Male
29 y/o
Asian
Southern California Local

10 years management experience in Health Care (7 years managing a Radiology Clinic/3 years in Health Care staffing/sales)

3 of those 10 years I owned a Import/export recycling company part-time.

I have 2 internet start ups in development this year. Projected launch date for both is summer of 2011.

I will definitely have a great letter or reference from the current President of my company, current clients and also a reference for a Physician at my previous company.

Extracurricular/Military/Volunteer work- active member of the State Military Reserve

California State University - BA in Management GPA 2.9

GMAT 590

MBA Concentration: Entrepreneurship

Round 3 applications
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 84 [0], given: 66

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 10:06
when are you planning to apply?
you want top 20 part time or full time?
will you retake the GMAT?
Do you want to only look around so cal area?

Why do you want an mba?

Your below the averages for most schools in both major metrics, i can say right now that a GMAT score bump would help you immensely

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 11:02
U should retake the gMAT. Did you take a class? Also you can and should still apply with low score. Don't restrict yourself just based on average scores. what about the GRE?
Intern
Intern

Re: need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 21:48
jordanhendrix wrote:
when are you planning to apply?
you want top 20 part time or full time?
will you retake the GMAT?
Do you want to only look around so cal area?

Why do you want an mba?

Your below the averages for most schools in both major metrics, i can say right now that a GMAT score bump would help you immensely

Thanks for your response. I plan on applying this year, Round 3. At this time, I'll be applying part time. I actually have no preference, I'm letting my score dictate where I should apply. I do plan on retaking the GMAT if I don't get in this year, but I really prefer not too. I work full time and have two businesses to run. The GMAT has already sucked too much of my time. I plan on staying in So Cal this year so I can continue maintaining my work and businesses. However if I end up re applying next year, I'm open to full time and relocating.

There are several reasons why I want an MBA. I want to know how to properly build a start-up from scratch and raise capital. Furthermore, I'm also interested in building my network so that I have people I can work with when I do have that next great idea. Lastly, if all else fails, I can use my MBA as a back up and get a steady job somewhere.

Hope that answers your questions. Let me know what you think.
Intern
Intern

Re: need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2011, 21:53
shawdaff wrote:
U should retake the gMAT. Did you take a class? Also you can and should still apply with low score. Don't restrict yourself just based on average scores. what about the GRE?

I took MGMAT twice, I'm not sure if I want to continue studying. I've already devoted way too much time into this. I looked into the GRE but it didn't make sense to me to study a brand new test when I'm already so familiar with the GMAT
Re: need a profile eval. just scored a 590. please help   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2011, 21:53