Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 05:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need a Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 09 Jul 2011, 21:53
Hi,

I have seen you dish out some amazing advice on the forum.

I just gave GMAT today and I want to see what options I have so that I decide on the future course of action:

GMAT: 680
TOEFL: Haven't taken it

Education:
- Bachelors in Information Technology from Indian Institute of Information Technology - Allahabad. [Institute ranks 9th in India ]
- GPA 7.5/10
- "A" in Business and Management Courses.

Leadership:
- Was Class representative and School.
- Career Expo representative at Undergrad.

Work experience:
- 6 months with Motorola as an Intern at Applied Research and Technology Centre, Motorola India Research Labs.
- Have a patent application with US PTO for the research done at Motorola (Listed as the first inventor)
- 2 years working for Cisco. (Continuing now)
- Won a Cisco Star Award (Best employee of the quarter)
- Also part of various process improvement initiatives at a Business Unit Level.
- Got promoted in the 1st year of work at Cisco.

Others:
- Involved in various Social Initiatives at Cisco.
- Active participant in the School Adoption Program at Cisco. [ We developed the school with the help of funds received from colleagues and educate the kids]
- Was a member of Prayaas at college. [ Prayaas is a program we started to educate the uneducated kids in the slum near our college]

Please let me know a few schools where I stand chance with the above profile.

Thank You..
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 09:06
Expert's post
Hi seeker21,

Before I recommend programs, what are your interests post-graduation? Do you have a preference in location?

These are important things to consider because the location where you attend school can greatly impact your career post-graduation. As an example, if you know you are interested in pursuing finance after graduation, then I would recommend looking at schools in New York or in the North East. Likewise, if you are interested in technology, there is no better place to be than in Northern California.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Conrad and the Stacy Blackman Team

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap

Intern
Intern

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 11 Jul 2011, 19:54
StacyBlackman wrote:
Hi seeker21,

Before I recommend programs, what are your interests post-graduation? Do you have a preference in location?

These are important things to consider because the location where you attend school can greatly impact your career post-graduation. As an example, if you know you are interested in pursuing finance after graduation, then I would recommend looking at schools in New York or in the North East. Likewise, if you are interested in technology, there is no better place to be than in Northern California.

I hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Hi Stacy,

Thanks for your response.

I am looking at US programs for my MBA and a specialization in Marketing. I would like to spend a few years in the US and then return to India to start a venture on my own.

My current job is Technical Consultancy.

With this info in mind, could you please suggest a few good schools where I have a chance of making it with my profile.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 04:09
Hi Stacy,

I am looking at Tepper, Johnson, Kenan Flager, Kelley and McDonough.

How would you rate my chances at these schools?

Thank you,
Expert Post
Stacy Blackman Representative
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 0

Re: Need a Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 12 Jul 2011, 07:22
Expert's post
Hi seeker21,

The information and numbers you have written puts you in the candidate pool for the schools you have listed. What you should focus on now are the softer areas of your application, primarily your personal essays and recommendations. These are much more important to your acceptance than most people believe.

If you can read the case study below, it will give an example of one of the ways you can differentiate yourself in your application.

http://www.stacyblackman.com/comprehens ... ies/case2/

Hope this was of help.

Cheers,

Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: http://stacyblackman.com/contact

Stacy Blackman | Stacy Blackman Consulting Inc | http://www.StacyBlackman.com | +1 323.934.3936
MBA blogger, US News and Author, The MBA Application Roadmap