Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 05:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 23:06
Hi,

Yesterday, I took GMAT and got Q-48;V-22 and total 580. This was my second attempt! In first attempt I got exactly same score.

I practice a lot specially on verbal but it seems there was no improvement. When I took powerprep and PR test at home, I was getting around 700. Ofcourse I took these tests after doing OG.

I am disappointed with my score. What I know is that, I did some fundamental mistake. First time, I could not complete all questions in verbal but this time, I was able to manage time after 10 questions.

Both of these times, I took test on same center and I got same PC and to my surprise I got 4 reading passages almost in same sequence. and during test I felt that I am getting same questions second time as well!

after 5 questions I got first RC and immediately I got second RC and after 5 more questions I got 3rd RC and after another 4-5 questions I got the last RC which was about when I was answering question number 27-28. and after that questions were looking pretty easy to me.

Well, that is all story about my test. I really want to break this.

I took 5 tests of 800score, both verbal and quant at home and I got around 50-54 in quant and 35-36 in verbal. And with this score, I was expecting atleast 680. But...

Please suggest where am I going wrong?

Thanks,
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2004, 23:16
Welcome to the Club.

I understand you are disappointed with your score, but you might want to refrain from using bad language. :) thats not going to get you anywhere. I edited your post a little bit.

Please read through atleast the first two three pages of the 'Share your GMAT' Exp. forum. See what advice has been offered.

Provide a detailed overview of how exactly you prepped. that will help us to see if we can fill in the gaps. the reason i say this is everyone has a different style of learning, its best if we provide you help with your particular way of prep.

If you have a problem with concepts, i recommend taking a course, an online course , specifically GMAX Online, or a classroom course ,specifically ,Manhattan GMAT.

I will have more to say when you tell us more about how exactly you prepped.

Hope this helps. You are not alone, just be patient and do a complete analysis of your past attempts before you even begin to think of taking the GMAT again.

Praetorian
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2004, 01:43
Hi,
Please accept my apology for wrong word on right forum. After submitting my post I realized what you have suggested me.

About my preparation, I have not taken any course-online or offline. I have gone through PR guide and OG. A little bit practice I did from material collected from numerous sites such as downdowndown.net.

During prepration, I observed that math was not a big problem for me. So I didnot devote much time to it. I gave almost all time to verbal section; about 2-3 hours everyday for about one month.

In SC part, I was able to find all kind of errors except idioms and sometimes tense. And in all pratice tests (PR,OG, and 800score) I was able to answer correctly about 80-85% questions.

In CR, story is same. I was week in EXCEPT questions. In GMAT test, I got about 6-7 questions which asked "which of following best completes" type questions.

RC, is really tough. Even during pratice at home, I was able to answer about 60% correctly if I maintain the speed. If I take little bit extra time, I answer most questions correctly. But we donot have luxury of time in test.
So, I relied on CR and SC part. In worst case senario, I was able to answer 28-30 verbal questions correctly at home during practice tests.

I want to cross this -> 700, figure. Please suggest online course or book or whatever you think is best to reach this magic number ( for me).

Thanks,
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2004, 11:46
I'm in the same shoe. Top Q 51 and low V 23. So..thinking about the strategy. I've found the techniques of Peterson's pretty good. Try those. It has perspectives different from those of PR and Kaplan. POE doesn't always work. It might work well on easy questions. But we have to be ready for "octan stuff", as one guy said. One more thing that I've noticed (very expensive experience though), that 1st RC is CRUCIAL for high verbal.
So you must be 100% sure that you answered correctly!

All the best.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 675 [0], given: 781

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2004, 05:10
Your CR experience is really surprising. I cant think of anyone saying that. The GMAT sure is changing.

its clear to me that it would be better to start with good concepts of verbal and for that, you might need to take a formal course. I reviewed GMAX Online's course and i found the verbal especially useful. Check our website for the entire review. there are some sample video clips that you can check out. You can PM carsen if you would like more info about GMAX Online.

Dont slack on your Math Prep, a Q50-51 and V35-36 will be enough to take your score past 700.

Hope this helps
Praetorian

nagvendra wrote:
Hi,
Please accept my apology for wrong word on right forum. After submitting my post I realized what you have suggested me.

About my preparation, I have not taken any course-online or offline. I have gone through PR guide and OG. A little bit practice I did from material collected from numerous sites such as downdowndown.net.

During prepration, I observed that math was not a big problem for me. So I didnot devote much time to it. I gave almost all time to verbal section; about 2-3 hours everyday for about one month.

In SC part, I was able to find all kind of errors except idioms and sometimes tense. And in all pratice tests (PR,OG, and 800score) I was able to answer correctly about 80-85% questions.

In CR, story is same. I was week in EXCEPT questions. In GMAT test, I got about 6-7 questions which asked "which of following best completes" type questions.

RC, is really tough. Even during pratice at home, I was able to answer about 60% correctly if I maintain the speed. If I take little bit extra time, I answer most questions correctly. But we donot have luxury of time in test.
So, I relied on CR and SC part. In worst case senario, I was able to answer 28-30 verbal questions correctly at home during practice tests.

I want to cross this -> 700, figure. Please suggest online course or book or whatever you think is best to reach this magic number ( for me).

Thanks,
  [#permalink] 08 Oct 2004, 05:10