Thank you for using the timer!
We noticed you are actually not timing your practice. Click the START button first next time you use the timer.
There are many benefits to timing your practice, including:
I need advice. I took my gmat two weeks ago. And got a 420. This was the final step in my application process for the three school I applied.
Two of the three school told me that GMAT score was too low and to reapply for September. The third school told me to take my chances and see what happens. Based on the fact that the lowest GPA that they will consider is a 430 and my GPA was already low. So i reserved the fact that I would have to take the GMATs over. But guess what happened today? I got an acceptance letter from the third school.
I do not know what to do. The cost of the school is expensive. It is Suffolk University. I do not know if I should go? Can someone please give me some guidance?
That's great! It sounds like you're unsure about whether or not you want to go, but congrats on getting accepted!
About whether or not you should go, I guess it comes down to how you felt about the school before you applied. I assume that you applied because you at least think that you wanted to go there, right? Has something changed since then?
If something has changed, such as how much money you have available to spend on school, the type of financial aid package that you can get, or your current job status, then that may affect your decision. But if none of that has changed, and you just got in, then it makes sense that you'd want to go, right?
Thanks for getting back to me. I dont how mature this sounds but I guess I am scared. I did horrible on the Gmats and the school still accepted me.
Is that a good thing right? How do I know that I am smart enough to undertake this?
Wow, that's a tough question! I doubt that they would have accepted you if they didn't think you could hack it. But if you're really concerned, maybe you could call the school and talk to someone in the admissions committee? I'dask them for advice on what you can do to get a head start... maybe some books to read or one or two classes to take ahead of time, if there's time.
Overall, I don't think there's much downside to at least trying a semester or a few classes. Yeah, it will cost you some money, but this is what you wanted, so I recommend going for it.
Thanks for getting back to me.
Can i ask you this question? How do school look on transfer students?
My job situation might change in the next 6 -12 months and school might be too expensive and I might need to transfer or change programs. How do school look at it?
Transferring from one MBA program to another is rare, but not impossible. It can be done at some schools, although you'd probably have to fill out a complete application, as if you were applying as a new student. If you have other schools in mind, maybe you can contact them now and see what their transfer policy is. If it turns out that you can't transfer to those programs and you're concerned that you may not be able to afford Suffolk, then maybe you'll want to wait and reapply next year to one of your other (less expensive) choices.
So it is uncommon for people to transfer from one school to another?
I am afraid that my job situation might change in the next 6 months.
Scott if i took a graduate course at one school and did very well and say I do have to transfer how would the graduate course be viewed? And if you put down a deposit for a school does it mean you actually enrolled and cannot apply to another program?
What would you do? Should I retake the gmats?
Yes, in business school I would say that it's pretty uncommon for people to transfer.
As to whether or not you could transfer the credits for a course from one school to another, it really depends on the school. But I don't know of many schools that have applications for transfer students. Your best bet is to contact the schools that you might consider transferring to and ask them.
But, if you're already thinking of possibly transferring out of Suffolk, then maybe Suffolk isn't the right place for you. I would take the GMAT again only if you have a good reason for doing so. If that reason is to try to get into one of the other schools, then consider taking it again, but only after you're able to do some significant prep between now and then.
Suffolk is my first choice. I hope the deans of schools do not read these boards. I am just trying to make sure that I have all my options open when if my job situation changes and I have to be realistic about debt.
How do you know a school is worth the money? And what do I tell the other schools? Would you advise me to retake the gmat and have the score handy just in case? I just like to have all my options covered.
That's a tough question. The most realistic way to determine if a school is worth the money is to look at what kind of job you can get now, and what kind of job you can realistically get with an MBA from that school. If the MBA job offers enough money, or is at least a more satisfying job (since money isn't everything), then it's probably worth it. To answer this, check out the school's information on what kind of jobs their grads get. If they tend to stay in their current jobs, and you're looking for a career change, then the school may not give you what you need.
Don't tell the other schools anything unless you decide on Suffolk. As for the GMAT, take it again if you want to keep your options open, but only do so after you've had enough time to prepare and try to significantly improve your score.