Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 17:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice :(

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advice :( [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2012, 23:15
Took the GMAT first time early august and got a 500 score. then got held up in work and couldnt concentrate on gmat studies. before a month booked for oct 12th but i now realize that i havent improved much. im hardly gettin around 580-600 in prep and i would like to have close to 650-680 score.I couldnt reschedule my test to later date. If i go attend the test i have to wait 30 days before re-booking. whereas if i miss the test i dont have to wait for re booking. planning to apply for 2013 fall in R2. i dont know whether to go take the test and take again the third time which leaves me less time for preparing my essays and SOPs' or miss the test and take it by oct last week. How is the number of attempts gonna affect my profile..? please someone help :|
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advice :( [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2012, 06:37
This is a very good question and one that applies to a lot of candidates. Thank you for posting it so that it can be discussed in its proper context.

In the ideal world, you would take the GMAT exam once, get the score you desire and then move onto your applications. However, this is frequently not the case. The actual process of taking the GMAT is stressful and often no matter how well prepared you are, your scores fall short of expectations. Please do not let this deter you from pursuing your goals.

Many candidates take the exam 2 or 3 times -- it is not uncommon and business schools are use to seeing this. In fact, most top business schools look at only your highest score. Once you take the exam more than 3 times, things start to look a bit suspicious to some in admissions, so I would not recommend taking the exam over this number of times. Before you take your exam (or retake your exam), figure out what areas you are weak and causing the score to remain lower than expected and get the help you need to address this area (yes, a tutor). Often times it just take a bit of intervention and investment to make a big difference in one or two areas. Also, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of practice (in fact, practice, practice, practice....), especially in those areas that are causing you problems. Attack them head on and I am sure that in short time, you will see marked improvement.

Just to give you some encouragement, four years ago I worked with a candidate who had taken them GMAT 12 times over the course of 2 years. Her sole goal was to get into HBS and her GMAT score kept on coming up short (her life over this time was studying for the GMAT). I was unsure of how HBS admissions was going to accept this fact, but was shocked when she was granted and interview and was later accepted. I guess tenacity does pay off - but I would rather that you be more strategic in approaching the test and achieving your desired score.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Advice :( [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2012, 06:42
Thanks.. i think im gonna miss my appointment.. but is it true that i dont have to wait 30 days to reschedule an appointment if i miss my earlier appointment? :roll:
Re: Need Advice :(   [#permalink] 10 Oct 2012, 06:42