Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need Advice [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2013, 19:47
Hi All,

I can use some advice. I have completed bachelors in computer science back in 2001 from Pakistan, I am currently working in the US and was looking into enrolling for an MBA, unfortunately, my GPA is only 2.2 and while I have received offer letters from a few of the for-profit universities, I am looking to see what the best option would be for admission in more reputable colleges, the reviews I read online for universities like Walden and Phoenix are not very encouraging.

I applied to Cal state and they recommended I do my GRE / GMAT, while national university suggested I re-do my bachelors.

I am unsure whether I should go with the for-profit universities or would it be better to do GRE / GMAT first?

I really appreciate your time

Thanks
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [1] , given: 1

Re: Need Advice [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2013, 06:15
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

I would have to respectfully disagree with Neha here. Your GPA is incredibly important and with a 2.2, you're in the woods. You're not even playing from the rough, much less the fairway (golf analogy anyone?). So two things - I'll keep this short and sweet:

1) Take your GMAT. You have to take this.

2) Find a place to take classes to improve your GPA. Pick a known and reputable program and choose classes that show dedication and tie in with your story. E.g. if you want to do financial risk management, take some quant or finance courses, etc.

Look - the unfortunately honest answer here is you HAVE to fix your GPA. Even with a great GMAT, that won't carry you in terms of your academic profile. But, with a 2.2, you have even less wiggle room on your GMAT. So not only do you have to fix your GPA, you have to crush your GMAT.

BUT - don't lose heart man. Put together an action plan with defined goals and work diligently towards them. At this point, you're in execution mode. Set targets, and knock 'em down. You know what you have to do now go get it done.

Good luck!

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Need Advice [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 14:53
Thanks Bravik,

I would appreciate if you could give me a little more detail on the courses you mentioned - my area of interest is Ecommerce and general management or MIS, in addition to GMAT, are you referring to Post Graduate certifications or short courses?

Thanks

Regards,
Bert
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 1

Re: Need Advice [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2013, 15:35
Expert's post
Hey Bert,

I'm happy to help and I am sorry that I didn't have better news. I'm referring to courses at a local university, not certifications. Effectively, you need to get grades. Certifications won't give you that.

That way you can say I got a 2.2 in undergrad but I took steps to fix that and I got As in these courses that help me prepare (or whatever your story to explain it is) for the MBA program at your school.

Does that make sense?

Bhavik

Bhavik
Managing Partner

Critical Square | MBA Admissions Services

Web | Blog | Free Resources | Facebook | Twitter

Was this post helpful to you? Give a Kudos and let me know!

Re: Need Advice   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2013, 15:35