Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 04:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advice [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 05:59
I'm desperately in need of advice. My GMAT score is 690 (91st Percentile) with Q48 (86th Percentile) and V36 (81st Percentile). I have three and a half years of experience in teaching finance in one of the leading universities of my country. I have consistently received high evaluations from my students. Moreoever, I have been directly involved in the stock market as a member of the stock exchange. My research work is limited to my masters thesis on mutual fund performance. However, I have worked as research assistant to two eminent economists in the country, and hopeful that I'll good letters of recommendations from them.

Would it be possible for me to leverage my teaching, industry experience, and RA job to get admission in a top B-School?
I am especially interested to know how the admission committee would evaluate my teaching performance.

Thanking you all in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2006, 15:55
Teaching experience, sadly, is not the main thing that top school's ad comm look at. They are interested in getting in people with outstanding good research potential. Hence your research experience and LORs are more important.

Having said that, you can use your teaching experience to emphasize your desire for an academic career and communication skills. Also, some schools - such as NYU - ask your evaluators to assess whether you are able to teach an MBA class. So your teaching experience will come in useful to assure them of your teaching capabilities. Talk about it in your SOP. But focus on your research experience first.

My 2 cents worth.

http://phdmilestone.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2006, 07:03
Thanks a lot for the reply and the tips. Hope to incorporate your ideas in the application process.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2006, 23:37
I think your working experience in university will be useful to boost your chances to be admitted in an inderect way. In fact, you would certainly know many professors who can write extremely strong letters of reccomendation, undercoring both your research and communication skill.

In sum, IMHO, you have good chances if you pay particular attention to your "competitive advantage", that's to say your LORs.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2006, 02:57
thanks robbie1981. it looks like LOR is going to be my trump card. hope i can manage good ones.
  [#permalink] 22 Aug 2006, 02:57