Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 19:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advice [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 12:33
Hello everyone. After "lurking" for a little bit, and not following through with proper study habits, I am finally asking for help. First, I would like to mention that I am not your typical GMAT test taker. I am not in the 25 - 31 age category, and have had more than 20 years work experience and trying to get into B-School for career purposes. I just turned 49 this summer. I did take the GMAT test this Sept, and scored 540. I was very disappointed and blamed myself for not giving it a good effort. After reading many excellent, and inspirational posts, I realized how much dedication is required for someone in my position (meaning teenage kids, work, family, etc..) to be able to score high. Fortunately I am not competing for any top schools, and I know I can do MUCH better than this. So, should I retake the GMAT? I am waiting on the response from the school in the next few weeks, and want to be prepared in case I am rejected based on my low score. The director of admissions stated that my other qualifications will be considered, and that GMAT is only part of it. But I am not sure that is the case in reality. I apologize for this rather long winded first post. Any advice and help for an older student like me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S.: My user name is intentionally coined to keep myself motivated.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2007, 22:01
GMAT score only plays one part in the admission process. If you have a wealth of experience (especially at the management level), it might more than make up for a low GMAT score.

Since there's an unknown element as to whether the school might actually admit you to the program, there's no harm starting a bit of GMAT preparation now - just in case...

Nothing that you have a family, you might need to do a balancing trick between prep and family commitments. Talk to your wife and maybe your kids about this. Let them know that you will be occupied a little while for the next month or so. There are several test-takers here who have a family just like yours but they made it too. For my case, I took to studying at late nights after my wife has gone to bed and slug it out for a month before settling into an alternate day pattern.

For starters, you might want to see which area you need to brush up on. It will make prep easier to spend time on things you are weak, and less time on things you are good at.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 02:53
I really respect the fact that you are eager to try for something better, despite your 20+ years work experience and your age. Good luck to your journey and be positive. Should you try hard, you'll definetely accomplish your target.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 09:00
Thank you both for the encourgements. I plan on definitely sticking to a plan, and working on my weak areas.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2007, 10:02
Remember, You have to prove yourself!!
And hey, Student is never Old. You can learn any time regardless of your age....
I wish you to secure a good score...........

- Brajesh
  [#permalink] 08 Oct 2007, 10:02