Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 7

need advice [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 02:31
Hi all!

I’m just starting my GMAT journey and I need advice on how I should spend it.
I’m not a native speaker, and I live far away from US (in Ukraine), but still I very much eager to get into any of the Ivy League business schools, preferably HBS.
I’ve compared my track record to some of those who just as I aim at Ivy League business schools and I must admit that I’m miles behind. So basically, I desperately need impressive GMAT scores to stand out. I plan to get 750-790, although naive, but to me it’s achievable. Fortunately, I have 5-6 months to get myself completely ready for it as I schedule to take the test in the mid-end of spring.
I’ve taken pre-study assessment test delivered in the begging of the course in Official Guide to GMAT 12th Edition, and I got surprising “Below Average” for Math section, and “Above Average” for Verbal. So this is what I'm equipped with for my journey. The key question: How can I get from “Below Average” (presumably it’s lower than median of 530) to 750+?
I’ve read several threads where the questions like ‘how do I start” were raised, and figured that I need to devote at least 2-3 months to math, 2 months to Verbal (especially SC) and one-two weeks to timing training. Came across an advice suggesting not starting with Official Guide, so I will do approximately for a month various math problems not from the GMAT books.
Well, that’s my story. Any advice or suggestion is welcome!

P.S. I’m an adept in Excel, so if anybody has questions on it – my pleasure to answer it.
And one more thing, please correct me if I make mistakes in the text :)

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 05:31
Hello WantGMAT800,

We have people who have reported the success you desire. It will take some dedication.

Please review the following threads:

Novices guide to the GMAT:
gmat-study-plan-for-gmat-novices-start-your-gmat-journey-80727.html

Nink's GMATClub Guide:
nink-s-guide-on-how-to-navigate-through-gmatclub-for-newbies-76938.html

Everything you need to know for the GMAT:
everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

As a non-native speaker, reading will probably help. We have a thread dedicated to this:
books-to-read-improve-verbal-score-and-enjoy-a-good-read-76079.html

Also, make sure you maintain an error log. This will help you monitor your progress and adjust your study plan accordingly.

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 23:44
mohater, thank you very much for your reply. I'll take a look through the links you provided.
I just doubt if I should do any math problems from books that aren’t made of GMAT questions, what do you say ?

By the way, by sticking to the strategy I described in previous post I’m leaving only 1 – 2 months for TOEFL preparation after I’ve taken GMAT.
Is it enough? And how does it ranked by admission commissions against GMAT? Suppose I got 750+ on GMAT and 90-100 on TOEFL, is it ok ?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 50

Kudos [?]: 349 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 06:44
WantGMAT800 wrote:
mohater, thank you very much for your reply. I'll take a look through the links you provided.
I just doubt if I should do any math problems from books that aren’t made of GMAT questions, what do you say ?

By the way, by sticking to the strategy I described in previous post I’m leaving only 1 – 2 months for TOEFL preparation after I’ve taken GMAT.
Is it enough? And how does it ranked by admission commissions against GMAT? Suppose I got 750+ on GMAT and 90-100 on TOEFL, is it ok ?

I studied at a US university, thus I have no experience with the TOEFL. What I do know is that TOEFL scores are becoming more and more competitive as more people take the TOEFL, thus it becomes harder to stand out without scoring above 100.

I wouldn't outright reject books/problems that are not retired GMAT questions. Many people have benefited greatly from the Manhattan GMAT materials, which combine the MGMAT problems along side with the OG books. Many people have also reported success with the Kaplan Premier GMAT book.

Best of luck,

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 07:21
Hi WantGMAT800

It is possible. I spent only 4 weeks preparing for the GMAT and got a top score. Although I have impressive academic records and grew up in the UK, my first language is not English. However if you practice and practice, set yourself a road map for your studies and stick to it; I can assure you that you will get the score you need to get into one of the elite American B-schools. But not be fool by people's believe that the GMAT is only what matters in your application. It is just an element in the process but it does not measure your intellectual ability nor your managerial, leadership and communication skills, among others. Although schools will like to see high scores to keep their standards high, it is only an element in your application. If you can show however in your application by means of your essays, academic records, work experience, etc; that you have what it takes to complete the course successfully and show what your intentions are thereafter, anyone has a good chance to be admitted to the course and therefore finish the course two years later.

By the way I only used OG12 for my preparation and in the last week I tried some of tests here in the GMAT Club.

Good luck with your studies.
Manager
Manager

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 10:55
2 mohater,
Got that. Thank you. Will work hard hoping to get what I need.

2 LUGO
Thanks for the reply. To me it seems to be written in "cheer up" way :), and if so, that's good. You've got impressive scores, my congratulations! Have you already got into any b-school?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 11:17
2 LUGO
Thanks for the reply. To me it seems to be written in "cheer up" way :), and if so, that's good. You've got impressive scores, my congratulations! Have you already got into any b-school?[/quote]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have not but soon will be submitting my application to the Wharton MBA/Lauder program.
Manager
Manager

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 11:32
2 LUGO
Oh, good luck to you!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: need advice [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2013, 23:30
I registered recently in the courses GMAT in MBA STrategy (Kiev, Ukraine), I want to learn, whether many students from Ukraine successfully handed over the test after training at this school?
Re: need advice   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2013, 23:30