Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice about retake of the GMAT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma
Schools: Harvard, Penn, Maryland
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 3

Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 14:11
Hello,

I've been a member for a while, and I figure I should start with some background. I just finished my undergraduate a semester early at like a second-tier, working my way in a career-oriented job where I now have management responsibilities, taking night classes. I have enrolled in the only MBA program I could find that allowed spring admits, which was the same school I got my BS from. I want to get into a top-tier school, got a 3.84-something graduating GPA, and already have a GMAT score from August 2008 of 700 (45Q 41V 5.5AWA).

About a month ago, I started studying for a retake, since a 700 is kind of pedestrian for a school like Harvard or Penn, mainly using MGMAT, this forum, and some OG-11 books, also taking practice tests on powerprep, and I burned one of my GMATPreps again too, and my scores were improving dramatically. I started out getting like 680-690 on MGMAT, my last one I was at like 730. Powerprep I had two 750s, like 50Q 41V and 48Q 43V or something like that.

In any event, I took the two GMATPreps, using the earlier version that was available on the thread, last saturday morning and sunday morning, both at 8am, mimicking test conditions as best as possible: taking it at another person's house, using laminated sheets of paper and dry erase instead of paper+pencil, using a stop watch to calculate break times, everything to simulate the real thing, and got a 770 (49Q 47V) on saturday and 770 (50Q 47V) on sunday.

These practice test scores, as they have been consistent and improving, lead me to believe that if I had another month I could possibly improve to 800, which has sort of been a goal of mine. At the very least it would lessen the chances of getting anything lower. Therefore, I have a few questions that were unavailable on MBA.com.

(1) what do b-school admins see when it shows that I took the GMAT and did not report my scores? as I could take it saturday, remember what I saw, how the test was run, and possibly be less nervous the second time around.

(2) What kind of test prep is available for improving 49Q and 47V? I have gotten these scores consistently and need the best ROI I can get. I know the questions I got wrong are mostly geometry for the Q and sentence correction for the V.

(3) What do admins see when there is a 760-780? Is it any different than a 790-800?
Would there be an incentive, like a clear noticeable difference between getting a 760ish and an 800, or are they both pretty much the same, from a scholarship, administration, or whatever position?

Thank you very much for your help.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2010, 14:32
dk94588 wrote:
(1) what do b-school admins see when it shows that I took the GMAT and did not report my scores? as I could take it saturday, remember what I saw, how the test was run, and possibly be less nervous the second time around.

i'm not sure i understand correctly. you are already at a part time MBA program but are seeking to go to a full time program later?

it doesn't matter if you don't report your GMAT scores to schools. whenever you finally do send your GMAT score report to a school, all your previous GMAT scores will be available to them (provided they were taken within the past 5 years). so i you go in and bomb it because you were nervous, schools will still see that score later on when you finally do submit your score report.

Quote:
(2) What kind of test prep is available for improving 49Q and 47V? I have gotten these scores consistently and need the best ROI I can get. I know the questions I got wrong are mostly geometry for the Q and sentence correction for the V.

i don't necessarily buy into the fact that "with an extra month i can get an 800". i personally don't think that getting an 800 is a matter of effort - there's a ton of inherent ability, and even more luck that would go into getting a perfect score. from your practice scores, you would probably have as good of a shot as anyone to break an 800. with a score of 770, you pretty much have all the basics down pat; it's just a matter of how you perform on the actual test day that will count.

if you truly feel sentence correction is a weakness, it is generally easiest to improve upon. MGMAT sc guide is a must have for this. regarding geometry, focus on the appropriate MGMAT book and practice it inside out.

Quote:

(3) What do admins see when there is a 760-780? Is it any different than a 790-800?
Would there be an incentive, like a clear noticeable difference between getting a 760ish and an 800, or are they both pretty much the same, from a scholarship, administration, or whatever position?

Thank you very much for your help.

at some point, your GMAT score will take you only so far. the rest comes from quality of work experience, undergraduate pedigree,
recommendations and essays. this is especially true at top schools (HBS, stanford, wharton); stanford is especially notorious for having rejected every applicant with an 800 score last year (or the year before that, i forget).

from what ive read, full merit scholarships are almost nonexistent at the top 3-5 schools. at other schools, they will usually look at the complete package, including undergrad GPA, undergrad school, etc. before making such a decision.

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 14:20
so if you decide to reject your scores after you complete the test, everyone can still see them?

Also, i read the MGMAT SC guide cover to cover, and it was helpful, but I think the really hard ones, especially the ones with concision and tricky rules that weren't fully clear in the book, are the ones I am having trouble with. Any other material?

Also, any tips for gameday?

Thanks
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 14:27
dk94588 wrote:
so if you decide to reject your scores after you complete the test, everyone can still see them?

after you finish the test, you get asked a few questions before you can see your score. at one point, you are asked if you want to report your scores or not. if you hit "yes", then the 5 schools you chose in the beginning + any future schools you submit your scores to will be able to see your scores. if you hit "no", then the test is essentially voided. you will never know what score you got, and any future schools will only see that you sat for the test, but cancelled your score.

Quote:

Also, i read the MGMAT SC guide cover to cover, and it was helpful, but I think the really hard ones, especially the ones with concision and tricky rules that weren't fully clear in the book, are the ones I am having trouble with. Any other material?

try taking some of the MGMAT full length tests, and concentrate on the explanations for any SC -type questions that you get wrong. the main reason i like the MGMAT tests is because of the excellent explanations they offer

Quote:
Also, any tips for gameday?

Thanks

at some point, you have to realize that you can only learn so much information. how well you do on the test is governed not only by the amount of info you know/remember, but also by other intangibles such as confidence/mindset going into the test. if you go into the test scared, reluctant, willing to make excuses (it was too cold, monitor was too bright, girl next to me was too loud), then more than likely you'll do poorly. get mad, get serious on gameday - just go out there and have faith in your abilities to do well.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager

Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 14:52
ok cool thanks for your help.

sorry i didnt answer your first question. There was an opportunity to enter a spring admission program, and since I didn't want to stay out of the game too long, I decided to take the minimum 9 credits for this spring, but I plan on applying to some high-name schools after I take the GMAT again saturday, or maybe in the next couple years.

As for work experience, I have been doing construction since graduating high school. Had some management responsibilities last year, made like $61,000 or so for 2009, but I'm not sure how they gauge "qualified work experience." I have a new job now, doing pretty much the same thing but more managerial responsibilities that are supposed to start soon. So I mean it might be smart to keep working and finish the program I'm in and apply around to some other schools after another year or two. I just got my grades in and got just over a 3.75 GPA. It was at a second-tier school, business major.

Any advice is good, but, as many people say, the 800 doesn't mean much, but it would be nice. Anything over 730-740 completes the requirement I suppose.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2325

Kudos [?]: 9450 [0], given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 16:17
Expert's post
I assume you have seen this post, but just in case for others reading this: should-i-retake-gmat-thread-retaking-gmat-strategies-83339.html

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Re: Need advice about retake of the GMAT   [#permalink] 07 Jan 2010, 16:17