Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need advice - big 4

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need advice - big 4 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 01:06
Hi,
I would like to get some advice / idea of what big 4 firms prefer in terms of hiring and how I could improve myself to enter the big 4.

I had my B.A. in Economics (major GPA: 3.93) and currently taking Summer Intensive Accounting Program at USC (University of Southern California) to have a degree on Business Taxation (MBT) in 2010.

Throughout the Summer Program (designed for people with no accounting background) , i found out that quite a lot of students have undergrad degree in accounting. and they are just taking this program to refresh and review the materials. (Or, to learn English as for those international students)
as a result, i am not getting gpa i wanted to get. (I was told that this GPA will be recorded on the resume.)

I understand that the economy is having an impact on hiring demand as for big 4. so, I am just wondering what I could do to improve my situation and what are the chances that I will get picked at least for an interview from the big 4.

Thank you for any help.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 41

Re: need advice - big 4 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 05:13
What practice do you want to get into ? It all depends on that.
Current mkt is tough for all big 4's but they will certainly recruit freshers maybe in lesser quantities.

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 7

Re: need advice - big 4 [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 20:07
You really need to push as hard as possible to get good grades. I didnt really understand why you are having a tough time with that. Are you are having a tough time with understanding accounting?

Also, try contacting SC alum in your area. I am sure they will at least be willing to answer questions for you and help you get your foot in the door. Have you started the CPA exam? I would try that as well, that way if you do get an interview, you can tell them that you have already started. Try and start with REG, that way you can show at least a minimum level of tax proficiency. You could also probably knock out the BEC section as well given your econ background. Hope this helps.
Re: need advice - big 4   [#permalink] 02 Aug 2009, 20:07