Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice for 1 year MBA program

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 02:42
Hello,

I am an IT engineer having 8.5 years exp with minimal experience in management field. Got decent acads...
10th - 88%
12th - 73%
b.tech - 70%
I wish to do an mba in marketing/finance as I am interested in those topics and also planning for a 1 year program in Europe instead of the 2 year ones. But I don't know whether my profile will be suited for 1 year program. Gmat official site says "One-year programs are a great fit for career enhancers – those who wish to continue in the same job function or industry but at a higher level". What are my chances of getting an admit for 1 year program with a good gmat score and above profile? Do I really need some good work exp before joining an mba or basic idea of business will help? Thanks in advance.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 07:31
Do you have experience leading or managing projects or at least parts of projects? I am sure if you dig within your experience you will find relevant competencies. Are you wishing to at least stay within the same industry so you would not be perceived as a double-career changer (both function and industry)?

The better 1-year programs (e.g. INSEAD) still facilitate a career transition but weigh Indian applicants from name undergraduate institutions and with high GMAT scores more favorably (note this does not mean they do not admit applicants from lesser known schools with lower scores). Also, schools are less likely to admit double-career changers than career changers.

The rule of thumb is that two year MBA programs give you an internship and time to further develop your career goals (marketing and finance are still broad areas). So, ask yourself why are you planning on a 1 year program rather than a 2 year program to facilitate this transition. Also, could Indian MBA programs enable you to accomplish your goals too. With a high GMAT score you could apply to ISB, a one year institution that would facilitate a career transition but within India.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 18:22
Your challenge is that the one-year programs will not give you the internship that smooths the transition into a new function and/or industry. So the burden of making a sharp career break will be heavier for you, and the schools will be aware of this. They will also expect you to explain in your application how you know that you want a career in marketing or finance if you have no exposure to either. Still, if your GMAT score is sufficiently higher than the median score of the one-year programs you're targeting then you may still have a solid chance at admission to one or more of them.

--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, www.paulsbodine.com/testimonials

Hello,

I am an IT engineer having 8.5 years exp with minimal experience in management field. Got decent acads...
10th - 88%
12th - 73%
b.tech - 70%
I wish to do an mba in marketing/finance as I am interested in those topics and also planning for a 1 year program in Europe instead of the 2 year ones. But I don't know whether my profile will be suited for 1 year program. Gmat official site says "One-year programs are a great fit for career enhancers – those who wish to continue in the same job function or industry but at a higher level". What are my chances of getting an admit for 1 year program with a good gmat score and above profile? Do I really need some good work exp before joining an mba or basic idea of business will help? Thanks in advance.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 25 Jun 2013, 21:40
Expert's post
arunnims wrote:
Hello,

10th - 88%
12th - 73%
b.tech - 70%

Hey dude,
Let's start with some questions: what did you DO during those 8.5 years? Where did you work? what is your current post? how many promotions did you get in this time? How big teams do you work on? do you have any leadership experience? what are your biggest achievements? What do you have outside work? What about volunteer work? What are your goals? (not what you want to learn but what position you want to hold in what company??

We need more info!!!!!

If you can post back here with more info, I can better advise you.
Best,
JF

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 06:17
Thank you guys for the quick response. Below find some details about my profile.
I have worked with 3 different firms for the last 8.5 years and played roles such as module leader, team leader (team size 8-10) and managing consultant. This includes international exposure of 2 years in Europe and 3 months in US. Also I have brief stint as a trainer, recruiter and looking forward for a double-career change. Since I have some exposure to European culture and industry, I considered the 1 year program mainly in UK, France, Netherlands or Germany. I was responsible for organizing workshops on environmental awareness and blood donation, for arranging auto-expo and cultural events during my graduation. I was also an active member and representative of students in university politics. Post mba I wish to pursue the role of financial advisor or marketing manager. Does a good gmat score will make my profile more competitive?

Good day!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2013, 07:20
What projects did you work on while a management consultant? In which functional areas were these projects? As a team leader did you have direct or indirect reports? What leadership competencies and styles did you develop?

You are trying to show transferable skills and knowledge to your future career in order to alleviate concerns among business schools about your switching careers.

But given you are a double-career switcher I would recommend you reconsider attending a one year program. A two year program offers greater coursework in your future areas, internships, other experiential learning opportunities, extracurricular activities related to your future interests, etc. to better facilitate this transition.

A higher GMAT score will make you more competitive for both one year and two year programs, but given your goals, a one year program might not be best for you.

Best of luck,

Michael Cohan
President
MBAPrepAdvantage
305-604-8178
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com
http://www.mbaprepadvantage.com/blog
Give KUDOS! if a post helps you
Follow MBAPrepAdvantage on GMAT Club & https://twitter.com/mbaprepadv and Michael Cohan on https://plus.google.com/u/0/112394163312774253233
Like MBAPrepAdvantage on https://www.facebook.com/MBAPrepAdvantage

MBAPrepAdvantage offers a free initial assessment to gauge your MBA admissions chances and the strength of your candidacy. Email us a brief description of your goals along with your target schools, resume, GPA, and GMAT score at info@mbaprepadvantage.com.

Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 42

Kudos [?]: 496 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2013, 00:28
Expert's post
arunnims wrote:
Thank you guys for the quick response. Below find some details about my profile.
I have worked with 3 different firms for the last 8.5 years and played roles such as module leader, team leader (team size 8-10) and managing consultant. This includes international exposure of 2 years in Europe and 3 months in US. Also I have brief stint as a trainer, recruiter and looking forward for a double-career change. Since I have some exposure to European culture and industry, I considered the 1 year program mainly in UK, France, Netherlands or Germany. I was responsible for organizing workshops on environmental awareness and blood donation, for arranging auto-expo and cultural events during my graduation. I was also an active member and representative of students in university politics. Post mba I wish to pursue the role of financial advisor or marketing manager. Does a good gmat score will make my profile more competitive?

Good day!

Hey there dude...

so you CAN apply to a one year program if you believe that for personal/financial/whatever reasons this is better for you. But two comments on that 1. It likely WILL be harder for you to actually make that change you propose in a one year program. People DO make career changes from a one year program, and a lot depends on YOUR ability to convince potential employers of YOUR capacity to succeed in this new industry/function. Buuuuuut be aware that you might find yourself falling back upon your "old career". Two: even if this is your TRUE goals, I do not suggest presenting this story to the Adcom as it will make little sense, and probably reduce your chances of getting an accept.

The top few Euro programs (LBS, INSEAD, IMD, IE) might be a bit tough for your profile (although you can always try) even with a GMAt of 730+ but the other European schools might provide you more opportunities. For finance I would privilege schools in England or Switzerland as they have both big finance centers and location counts for a lot.

Hope this helps!!

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Re: Need Advice for 1 year MBA program   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2013, 00:28