Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:40 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618799 [0]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Re: Need Advice for the Quantitative Section! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
JustinCredibleGMAT wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am new here and wanted to get some advice on how to tackle the quantitative section! Math has never been my strong point at all, which is why I graduated with a B.S. degree in Human Biology (lol). I bought the Official GMAT Review books, but had a hard time doing most of the problems in this section because I forgotten most the material (except for basic Algebra). The problem I see with this book is that its not really a "refresher" and it pretty much brings you straight to the problem questions with a few pages of notes on each math subject used. I looked around and seems like everyone is recommending the Manhattan books as a key set to a refresher course for the quantitative section. Should I get this book set?

English is my native language, so I think I will be fine with the verbal section. However, most of the math section is really concerning for me and I know I will need to spend at least a month studying it. Right now, I am aiming for 4-6 hours a day of studying (5-6 days a week) for a month until I am confident. Then another month going over the verbal section and reviewing everything I've learned. I haven't scheduled my GMAT test yet, but I do want to apply for some local schools by June and want to score at least a 680-700.

If anyone has any advice and study tips, please let me know!.

The following might help.

All You Need for Quant:

new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-140445.html

Best GMAT Quantitative Books

Don’t know which book(s) to purchase? Check out our Top Best GMAT Quantitative Books
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the reply everyone. My test will be coming up in 2.5 months and I was wondering if that will be enough time to study with 4-5 hours a day? Or should I delay it a little longer?
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

I think that 2.5 months is enough time provided that you hit the ground running and stay organized/committed down the stretch (this is tough to do). One thing that can help is to make a schedule for all of your work so that you know exactly what you are going to work on for every single day of your prep. Basically: make your studying as easy as possible. Also, I'd limit your studying to about 3 hours a day. You can do more work once you are taking full practice tests and need the 3 hours to take the test and the time to review your answers.

Happy Studies,

A.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

I think that 2.5 months is enough time provided that you hit the ground running and stay organized/committed down the stretch (this is tough to do). One thing that can help is to make a schedule for all of your work so that you know exactly what you are going to work on for every single day of your prep. Basically: make your studying as easy as possible. Also, I'd limit your studying to about 3 hours a day. You can do more work once you are taking full practice tests and need the 3 hours to take the test and the time to review your answers.

Happy Studies,

A.

Thanks! I just sent you a PM :).
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
JustinCredibleGMAT wrote:
Hey everyone!

I am new here and wanted to get some advice on how to tackle the quantitative section! Math has never been my strong point at all, which is why I graduated with a B.S. degree in Human Biology (lol). I bought the Official GMAT Review books, but had a hard time doing most of the problems in this section because I forgotten most the material (except for basic Algebra). The problem I see with this book is that its not really a "refresher" and it pretty much brings you straight to the problem questions with a few pages of notes on each math subject used. I looked around and seems like everyone is recommending the Manhattan books as a key set to a refresher course for the quantitative section. Should I get this book set?

English is my native language, so I think I will be fine with the verbal section. However, most of the math section is really concerning for me and I know I will need to spend at least a month studying it. Right now, I am aiming for 4-6 hours a day of studying (5-6 days a week) for a month until I am confident. Then another month going over the verbal section and reviewing everything I've learned. I haven't scheduled my GMAT test yet, but I do want to apply for some local schools by June and want to score at least a 680-700.

If anyone has any advice and study tips, please let me know!.

I think before you jump on to a GMAT specific book, you should review your high school Math book or check out basics on websites such as purplemath.com or khanacademy.org
Since official GMAT review seemed difficult to you, you will probably need a thorough revision of the basics. This is often the case with people who do not have Math at Graduate level because they tend to be out of practice.
This also means that you might need to postpone the test day to be able to score around 700 but that is a call you can take some time later.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Quantitative Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts