Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 22:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need advice, just took gmat

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need advice, just took gmat [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2010, 22:45
here is my situation:

i scored 99th percentile on the verbal but 77th on quant, despite consistently scoring 50/51 with an occasional slip to 49 on the practice tests. i havent gotten my writing score but i fear i did awful on it, because i was not fully awake for it and pressed for time and to be honest, i never practiced this so i winged it

the problem might be that i took the gmat on 3.5 hours of sleep because i tossed and turned the night before and could not fall asleep to save my life. i will concede that the questions i came across seemed a bit challenging (which mistakenly led me to believe i was destroying it since i was getting a good mix of tough questions)

i know some ppl would be happy with my score but i really fell short of my own expectations on the quant :( is this split of mine going to hurt my chances? will they think i have poor analytical skills? what difference would 20-30 more points overall make if all other elements of the application are at least moderately strong?

thanks and god bless
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: need advice, just took gmat [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2010, 06:46
I got almost the exact same score (came out to 740 overall).

Since I have an undergrad degree in finance/accounting and ibanking experience, I decided to stick with it since my quant skills are decently well established. If you don't have a quant background at all, then I would think about taking it again.
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 104

Kudos [?]: 229 [0], given: 20

Re: need advice, just took gmat [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2010, 15:11
Hey avon,

Congratulations on an enviable GMAT performance! I can completely empathize with the frustration of knowing you could have done better, but overall you've posted a pretty strong score so definitely take a moment to be proud of what you accomplished.

I think alybaba's story gives some good advice - if your background (academically and professionally) demonstrates some strong quantitative abilities, the score shouldn't be much of a problem. Your overall score/percentile must be in that mid-700s/90th percentile range. The "golden ratio" of GMAT scores is 80th percentile quant, 80th verbal, and 700+ overall, and you're eerily close to that with plenty of room to spare on verbal and overall.

If you were planning on a high quant score as a way to offset a perceived lack of mathematical background, you may well want to take the GMAT again. What's tough there is that there's no guarantee that you'll score higher, but if you do feel as though you left some points on the board that you deserve and have earned, that's a lot better a reason to retake the GMAT than just hoping you can do better - you have some evidence that it's likely.

So I guess, in summary, I'd retake the test if:

1) You're pretty certain that your profile will require a higher quant score in particular to make you fully competitive at your target schools
2) You feel pretty confident (as it sounds like you do) that you can clean up a few things and improve that score

Brian

Save $100 on live Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 21

Re: need advice, just took gmat [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2010, 14:20
It is definitely a good score, but the decision wether to retake or not depends on:
-what BS are you targeting
-your background (as mentioned, if you are an engineer, they won t pay attention to that, but if you are a linguist...)
- your time

I think it is difficult to retake the GMAT after scoring sth like 740, because you might just lose motivation to study on what you already done, and there is the possibility that you do not score higher (never know).

I know I haven t been very helpful, but I wanted to contribute :P
good luck !!!

If you find the post useful, don't be shy and Kudo me ;)

Re: need advice, just took gmat   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2010, 14:20