Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on a peculiar situation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Need advice on a peculiar situation [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 13:00
Hi,

I need your advice on a diffcult situation! I am an international applicant currently residing in Europe. I am planning to visit US in the month of October for business meetings and all. The business sessions will be over in first or max second week of November. After this I am planning to visit different schools.

Now if I am visiting the school! then it is better to give an on-campus interview. But the problem is my application will go to second round thereby disturbing the schedule that I had set earlier to apply to different schools (When I wasn't even aware that some business session might come up). Eventually I will end up putting all my applications in second round, which I want to avoid! I hope you will understand my situation here!
Would appreciate if you can suggest what is the best way to go about it?

Thanks and regards
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 48

[#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2005, 13:57
Expert's post
I'm not sure that I totally understand your question. But, if you're asking if it's okay to apply to all of your schools in the 2nd round, the answer is yes. You don't really gain anything by applying in the first round!

Do what's best for your application chances overall. I think that visiting the schools to learn more about them (and show your interest) is much more valuable than applying earlier.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 12:12
I apologise for not making my question clear,

I will try again!

I understand that the best time to apply is when you have the best application ready (r1 or r2)
The issue here is bit different, Say I am applying to 5 schools in total, and two weeks back I had a plan of applying to 2 schools in R1 and 3 in R2 in order to better organize myself for different aspects of application i.e. interview over phone/alumni, making a balance between essays and so. Hence I started preparing for those two schools for R1. One of these two application is more than 70% complete and I would say that I am pretty much satisfied with that!
Now couple of days back, I got to know that I need to visit US for business sessions. Hence now I am planning to visit all 5 schools; the school for which application is 70% ready offers interview to everyone! and I can only visit schools in November thereby pushing all my applications to round 2, which I fear (not sure though) might spoil my schedule for other applications!

I wanted your opinion on how to resolve the situation here? Shall I ask for an alumni/phone interview and then visit the school OR I take a chance and put all applications for r2?

I hope I made myself bit more clear this time, would appreciate your comments!

Thanks and Regards,
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 12:47
Expert's post
Oh, okay, I think I understand what you're asking. I still think it's okay for your to apply in R2 for all of them. Even if you're applying in R2, that doesn't mean that you can't do much of the work on those apps now, right? You can still work on all of your data sheets, write first drafts of your essays, etc., whether you apply now or in January.

Is your concern that you'll run out of time in January? If you keep working on your apps now, that shouldn't be a problem.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 15:23
Thanks Scott!

Your comments do help! I will keep the advice in my mind, and will see how things proceed in coming week or two!

Small question: Say there are two applicants and one seat available! Both of these applicants are equal in all terms (A hypothetical, but just assume) but one of the applicant was able to visit the school for interview while the other flew to another country nearer to him than US and gave an alumni interview.

Both the interview were rated equally (Again just assume), which one of these will have a better chance of getting a "Yes" (Only one seat available)
Expert Post

[#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2005, 17:55
Expert's post
That's so hypothetical that my answer really won't matter! But, if you're asking whether or not you may gain a slight extra edge by visiting the school, I'd say the answer is yes.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep Reviews