Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 19:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on career change

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice on career change [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2007, 09:49
v

Last edited by bloodynri on 29 May 2007, 11:19, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice on career change [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2007, 10:22
bloodynri wrote:
Hello Everyone,

First off, I think this is a wonderful website. I just found it a few days ago and have been reading everyone's posts. Seems like alot of people are changing to a career in finance.

Anyways here is my dilemma. I am currently an Electrical Engineer working at Motorola. I graduated from University of California, San Diego in March 2005 with a GPA of 3.6. I had 2 internships before that so including internships I have around 3-4 years work experience(all in engineering). I think I'm getting tired of the engineering field and getting interested in finance. My social skills are not extraordinary and I'm not that outspoken. I don't think I'd want to be in a leadership position or in management. Does that rule out MBA? I want to be just involved in financial analysis and help the company I work for make money. Should I consider a career in MFE or MSF or maybe join classes for CFA preparation? I don't have any experience working in finance so would clearing CFA-level 1 open some doors for me in finance?
Please advise me.

Thanks!

My advice would be to explore the financial engineering track. Its a very lucrative field with a decent work/life balance. A good master in financial engineering program will serve to propel you in the field. As for communication skills, there will come a point when you'll have to either push yourself harder or jump off the proverbial corporate ship - the sooner you become comfortable interacting with people in a professional setting and develop the ability and skillset to direct a team, the better. Best of luck with your career switch!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Need advice on career change [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2012, 23:02
thank for sharing !!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User