Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 22:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need advice on choice of schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need advice on choice of schools [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2006, 16:37
Hi Paul,
First, I want to thank you for your great essay book, I have been using it to guide me with my essays.

I want to get your opinion on where to apply, and whether part-time is better than full-time for a person of my profile. Any advice in these regards will be greatly appreciated.

My profile:
I am in hi-tech. Indian male 32 years old. Have a Bachelors from IIT Madras (GPA: 3.5/4.0 scale). Have a Masters in EE (4.0). My Gmat score is 770 (50Q,46V,5.5AWA).

I work in a hi-tech start-up in the Bay area. Have 9 years of work-ex, 6 years at the start-up. I have been a project lead for 3 years now. Have been leading a 20 people group for the last 6 months or so. Am also a Senior Architect at the startup.

I can get good recommendations from my boss (Director of Engg) and my CEO.

I don't have too many extra-curricular activities. I have done quite a bit in charity though (funding a school started by my father-in-law etc).

My eventual goal is to either become a VC or start my own company. I applied to Berkeley in R1 for part-time.

Am I too old for a full-time at Stanford, Wharton or Kellog ? What are my chances of getting into any of the top-10 schools? Also, how do I choose between part-time or full-time?

Your advice will help me decide on which way to go. Thanks in advance!
Venky
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: need advice on choice of schools [#permalink] New post 19 Nov 2006, 17:42
venky_nag wrote:
Hi Paul,
First, I want to thank you for your great essay book, I have been using it to guide me with my essays.

I want to get your opinion on where to apply, and whether part-time is better than full-time for a person of my profile. Any advice in these regards will be greatly appreciated.

My profile:
I am in hi-tech. Indian male 32 years old. Have a Bachelors from IIT Madras (GPA: 3.5/4.0 scale). Have a Masters in EE (4.0). My Gmat score is 770 (50Q,46V,5.5AWA).

I work in a hi-tech start-up in the Bay area. Have 9 years of work-ex, 6 years at the start-up. I have been a project lead for 3 years now. Have been leading a 20 people group for the last 6 months or so. Am also a Senior Architect at the startup.

I can get good recommendations from my boss (Director of Engg) and my CEO.

I don't have too many extra-curricular activities. I have done quite a bit in charity though (funding a school started by my father-in-law etc).

My eventual goal is to either become a VC or start my own company. I applied to Berkeley in R1 for part-time.

Am I too old for a full-time at Stanford, Wharton or Kellog ? What are my chances of getting into any of the top-10 schools? Also, how do I choose between part-time or full-time?

Your advice will help me decide on which way to go. Thanks in advance!
Venky

Venky,

Glad my bookhas helped you, thanks. The factors relevant to deciding whether you apply for full- or part-time include your willingness to leave your career at this point, the opportunity cost factor, and whether you will need the internship opportunities that full-time programs provide. Though part-time programs have the benefit of being easier to get into, you sound like you are only considering them because you think you're too old for full-time programs. I don't think you are. Though you are at the upper edge of the middle 80% for most B-schools, you are not too old to apply to the top schools, and you have a strong profile. You will need to be rock solid on your goals statement--very focused and knowledgeable and spend a little extra time on the Why Now section (why wasn't 3-4 years ago the right time).

The competition will be fierce at Stanford, Wharton, and Kellogg, so I recommend adding a few non "ultra elite" schools to the mix to up your odds. Haas, Tuck, Duke, Georgetown, and USC all have higher average ages than the typical B-school. See our advice for older applicants.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Thanks! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2006, 06:52
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your advice! I went through the article for older applicants - this is really what I was looking for. I think I can come up with better essays now that I have read it.
Thanks again
Venky
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Thanks! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2006, 13:49
venky_nag wrote:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your advice! I went through the article for older applicants - this is really what I was looking for. I think I can come up with better essays now that I have read it.
Thanks again
Venky

You're quite welcome.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter