Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 05:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on GMAT prepration!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-12-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Need advice on GMAT prepration!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:01
Hi all!

I need some real help with my GMAT preperation.It seems like I'm kind of lost and dont know wheather im treading the right path in terms of prep and this is impacting my confidence levels!!!

I've my GMAT scheduled next month (12 Jan'12) and I've been studying for last 3.5 weeks! Ive been taking a lot of sectional tests and doing a decent number of questions everyday for practice. The sad thing is that Im not much confident. Especially when it comes to Verbal!!! Its so damn unpredicatble. Each time out of 41 questions, Im getting on an average 15-17 incorrect.Most of my RC's are catastrophic and SC's are with 50% accuracy.

Needless, Ive done the OG 12 and lately picked up the MGMAT for SC. I'm yet to get through with the Advanced part but frankly, I feel my hunches guide me better than Rules . I end up thinking too much and mess my SC questions. ALL THIS makes my concentration and focus FLUCTUATE TOO!!!! :oops:

Could anyone please advice on how to pace up RC'c and fix these other random offshoots?

Also, I'm targeting 700+ . This is going to be my second attempt. My first attempt in July 10 was a dismal 640(Q44V31) so it would be great if someone can tell me if I'm on the right track cuz i feel sooo lost now on how exactly to kill this Exam!!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need advice on GMAT prepration!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:18
Since you have already taken the test once..i assume you must have done a few full length tests...What were your scores in those?

Manhattan SC is the best book out there for SC. IMO, if you are not a native speaker, like me, you must have a lot of notions, hunches, which are not always in sync with the rules of english grammer. This is the reason why you should stick to the rules and not go jsut by your hunch. I have had a tough time too with the verbal section. My 2 cents - Stick to the rules in MGMAT SC and vigourously and reliogiously read the explanations. Make a note everytime your hunch disagrees with the rule. FOLLOW THE RULE. MGMAT SC has proven and evident history of bringing up SC scores for 99% of the crowd here. If you have time, go through that book at least twice before your test. And not just read like a novel, it is a pretty interactive book and needs your constant involvement and homework in terms of solving the OG 12 questions at the end of each chapter. Once you have gone through the book throughly, each SC question should start to present itself in a manner that you can say - "Ok, this is parallelism, modifier problem etc".
SC is very much like a quant problem. Once you know the problem, you have the solution right in front of you.

For RC, there are many strategies available. However you have to really work on creating a strategy of your own that works best for you. This may be one of the available ones or a combination of 2 - 3 different strategies. What worked for me was the approach. I approach each RC as something new to learn from. It takes me a good 4-5 mins to read the passage but after spending a good time, I know most of the content and when the questions pop up, i know where to look for the details.
All the best!

Time to play the game...

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-12-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 3

Re: Need advice on GMAT prepration!!! [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2011, 08:33
Hi!

Thanks for the SC Tip. Noted :)

Well unfortunately I've not taken full legnth tests except those of GMAT Power Prep Software right after a 1 week prep (but around 7-10 questions in each section were direct pick ups from the OG! so i wouldnt even call my 660's as accurate evaluation).

I tried some other tests but attacked these section-wise; primarily I wanted to first get an idea of where Im heading to and which all are my weak areas. Now that i feel my "General knowledge stage" is over, Im trying to push through the second stage of "question strategy": avoiding silly mistakes on Quant, getting to know more and more rules and exceptions for SC and pacing up RC's.

I guess I will jump to full legnth tests soon to get A)better idea of performance B)Explanations for incorrect answers!!

Just hope this works given the time I have!!!
Re: Need advice on GMAT prepration!!!   [#permalink] 07 Dec 2011, 08:33