Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 01:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on interview questions

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice on interview questions [#permalink] New post 25 May 2011, 23:43
Hi, thank you for reading my post. Someone close to me (a new MBA) is reading a popular interview book, and wrote down some answers for common questions, and questions to ask, based on teachings from the book. Could you please give some absolutely candid evaluation of the answers? Thank you so much for your kind help!

A1. INTERVIEWER: Tell me about yourself.

ME: My name is XXX. First of all, I would like to emphasize that I have XX years of experience in business…… I’m great fit for this position. Now, tell me please, Mr. XXX, how does what I can offer match what you are looking for?

A2. INTERVIEWER: what make you think you can handle this position?

ME: I had done the similar work at XXX…... Therefore, I will be successful again since I have the qualities of XXX YYY ZZZ.

A3. INTERVIEWER: Is this position you are looking for? Do you think you are overqualified for this position?

ME: I’m looking for a position that is going to help make a company better and challenge me based on my experience and background.

I don’t think I am overqualified for this position. I understand that in XXX department, people will start out at a position usually from the bottom. I realize exactly what I am getting into with this job and the opportunities that you have outlined for me.

I have no intention of wasting anyone’s time and effort if I don’t think the position is worth applying for.

A4. INTERVIEWER: Why I need hire you? Or what makes you better than any other candidates ?

ME: I think you need to hire me because I can do this job well. I am a hard worker and am determined to be successful. I have more passion and commitment to the job than most people do.

So, with me, you get passion, commitment, and determination above what you’d probably get from most people.

==============================

Questions to ask the interviewer:

Q1. Can you describe the ideal candidate for this job?
Q2. Is this position an addition or a replacement? Why?
Q3. How long have you been looking for a person for this position?
Q4. Are there any internal candidates?
Q5. Who will be doing the initial interviewing?
Q6. How can I do better in the interviewing process?
Q7. This is a great opportunity for both of us. I ‘m great fit for this job. What do I need to do to get the job?
Q8. Based on what we have discussed, my experience and background fit well. When can we get together? Would tomorrow afternoon works for you?
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Need advice on interview questions [#permalink] New post 26 May 2011, 05:20
Are these the entire answers or does the "...." represent the part of the answer where your friend goes more in depth and tells me specific examples about his background and experience that can speak to his skills? It is pretty hard to evaluate these responses because they are all very general and could be said by any of the job applicants that walks in the door: I am hard working, I know what the job requires, I am looking for a job that challenges me, etc. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to post intimate details about your friend's background on the internets, but since an interview is all about getting to know someone's background and about fit for a particular job, the feedback you could expect will be general at best.

So with that in mind, my general reaction to the answers below is that your friend is doing too much telling me about what skills he has and not enough showing me through sharing specific examples. Everyone is going to tell me that they are committed to their job. It means a lot more if you tell me about the time you worked 34 hours straight then walked across town in the blizzard/earthquake/hurricane/rapture to deliver something to a customer on time. Also, the answers should be more tailored to the job your friend is seeking. So you will be successful because of X Y Z is ok. Saying you will be successful because of X Y Z and you know that in this role/company X Y Z are very important because... is much better.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need advice on interview questions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 07:59
Jerz wrote:
Are these the entire answers or does the "...." represent the part of the answer where your friend goes more in depth and tells me specific examples about his background and experience that can speak to his skills? It is pretty hard to evaluate these responses because they are all very general and could be said by any of the job applicants that walks in the door: I am hard working, I know what the job requires, I am looking for a job that challenges me, etc. It's understandable that you wouldn't want to post intimate details about your friend's background on the internets, but since an interview is all about getting to know someone's background and about fit for a particular job, the feedback you could expect will be general at best.

So with that in mind, my general reaction to the answers below is that your friend is doing too much telling me about what skills he has and not enough showing me through sharing specific examples. Everyone is going to tell me that they are committed to their job. It means a lot more if you tell me about the time you worked 34 hours straight then walked across town in the blizzard/earthquake/hurricane/rapture to deliver something to a customer on time. Also, the answers should be more tailored to the job your friend is seeking. So you will be successful because of X Y Z is ok. Saying you will be successful because of X Y Z and you know that in this role/company X Y Z are very important because... is much better.

I concur. Your friend is doing too much telling. He needs to share specific examples which would be germane for the position he is seeking. Shifting questions that the interviewer asked you should be based on your past experiences and how that will help the current position you're applying to.
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need advice on interview questions [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 12:36
Coincidentally, I just saw this slideshow today about the first question you listed.

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-righ ... tart-off-1

Its advice is a bit different than the answer you listed.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Need advice on interview questions   [#permalink] 10 Jun 2011, 12:36