Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:32

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need advice on my low score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need advice on my low score [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 12:15
I want to share my recent GMAT experience which was devastating for me. After 3 months of preparation (on the average 2 hours a day), I got 500 (Q36, V22) on the test day (oh, God, it is unbelievable). I'm in desperate need for advice on why I got this score especially after mentioning my preparation results.

I started with Kaplan GMAT 2003 book followed by Kaplan Verbal and Math Workbooks. Math workbook was pretty easy for me except for DS quizzes. Then, I worked on OG questions by fully exercising verbal and quant. sections. But I was disappointed by correct answer results. In fact, I got 69% on CR, 68% on RC and 73% on SC. As you all can see, verbal section was not good for me. As far as math is concerned, success rate for PS was 90% and for DS - 84%.

Two weeks before test day I began to work on cds. The results were as follows:
Kaplan 1: 560 (Q41, V24)
Kaplan 2: 560 (Q44, V23)
Kaplan 3: 550 (Q34, V29)

PR1: 630 (Q37, V40)
PR2: 730 (Q45, V46)
PR3: 660 (Q40, V42)

PP1: 700 (Q49, V35)
PP2: 600 (Q46, V27)

Regarding actual GMAT I can say that math is much more difficult than PR and PP but similar to Kaplan. I got 2 probability questions and 1 combinations problem. However, verbal section is in line with PP and PR but easier than Kaplan's verbal. I got 1 bold face CR question. First RC passage came out on 3rd question and total of 4 passages appeared.

All in all, I guess the main problem with my score is first 10-15 questions. Most probably, I confused the calculations or made mechanic errors specifically in math section. Verbal has always been my weak area. Still, it was a surprise for me to get such a low score.

Folks, please express your opinion on my case. I think the most reliable CAT is Kaplan. Everybody was talking about Kaplan's score being 80 points below actual score. It was not the case with me. It's a great surprise for me. What should I do onwards?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 13:50
I had a similar experience yesterday where my actual score was closer to the Kaplan score and not the PP scores. I also think that I messed up in the early questions where most points are earned. Luck is also a factor to a degree, if you happen to get a problem early on and get stumped it can affect the rest of your test. Take some time and review, and take it again, hopefully this time was just a fluke... and you'll score much higher next time.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Oct 2004, 16:29
Here are a few questions:

On quant. & verbal, did you stay on pace? Did you spend too much time on a problem and then panic or rush to finish the test? Also, were your PP1 & PP2 taken before, after or during OG?

I think you know the quant material since your Kaplan scores are very good. Maybe focus primarily on Verbal. Focus on PR strategies but practice with OG & Kaplan tests. PR is WAY too easy. Without any studying, I scored a 39 & 40 in verbal in the PR1 & PR2 tests.

Regarding my earlier questions, I felt my downfall was timing; it was a snowball effect. Poor timing increased panic and stress, and the rest is history. I know I can score 600+ but even a simple problem was too difficult for me after the panic of not scoring a 700 set in. I actually blanked out on simple geometry problems on the test. Part of the test is psychological; that's the part everyone has to overcome.
  [#permalink] 10 Oct 2004, 16:29