Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 42

Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:17
So I studied for many months, and took the official exam and got a 610. Needless to say, I was thoroughly disappointed, seeing as how I've done as well as 720 on a practice test before. I think I will take the exam one more time, but I'm at a loss as to where to get CAT exams. I've used the GMATPrep exams, MGMAT exams, Veritas Prep exams, all multiple times- where can I get others? Appreciate your help.

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone.

Appreciate the +1!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2324

Kudos [?]: 9434 [1] , given: 3701

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JJ2014 wrote:
So I studied for many months, and took the official exam and got a 610. Needless to say, I was thoroughly disappointed, seeing as how I've done as well as 720 on a practice test before. I think I will take the exam one more time, but I'm at a loss as to where to get CAT exams. I've used the GMATPrep exams, MGMAT exams, Veritas Prep exams, all multiple times- where can I get others? Appreciate your help.

How long did you prep for?
What was your starting score?

P.S. You may not need the best of the best CAT's really... unless your issue/problem is with CAT's themselves. there are others - Kaplan has 5 with their books and Princeton Review has 4....

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:25
[/quote]

How long did you prep for?
What was your starting score?

P.S. You may not need the best of the best CAT's really... unless your issue/problem is with CAT's themselves. there are others - Kaplan has 5 with their books and Princeton Review has 4....[/quote]

My first test was a 470.. and after some practice, I went up to a 600 before enrolling in a classroom course. I was performing consistently around 650, but then I started doing around 690-700 (maybe because of some repeat questions), and thought I would be OK.. At my highest, my Q was 45 and V was 44. I happened to be really nervous on test day, but I also see big inconsistencies in my verbal score where some days I'm at 90+% and some other days, I'm at 70%.

Appreciate any advice that you can give.

Appreciate the +1!

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 191 [2] , given: 66

Re: Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
JJ2014 wrote:

Hi JJ2014, I think some of this may fall into the category of test day jitters. If you're doing multiple CATs from multiple companies and consistently scoring well on them, then you're pretty well prepared. I don't see much value in doing 10 more CATs vs where you are today, but of course you could always do that if you so chose. It sounds like you should review your weakest subjects a little but retake the test pretty soon. Since you've taken it before, you're likely to be less nervous on test day, which should help your overall score. Also, sleeping well the night before and being comfortable (loose clothing, balanced breakfast, etc) will all help your psyche for the exam.

If you really want, BB has pointed out a few extra sources for CATs, so you can maybe do a couple to see if your scores are consistent. It sounds to me like you're ready and you just need to your test day score to match up with your prep scores.

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy [#permalink] New post 10 May 2013, 06:05
Thank you both! I'll try to brush up on my weak subjects with the suggested materials.. this process is much more emotional than I thought!!

Appreciate the +1!

Re: Need Advice on Retake Study Strategy   [#permalink] 10 May 2013, 06:05